Smoked Pork Spareribs - A How To By hornian

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by hornian, Dec 24, 2006.

1. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Someone suggested that I break this forum's cherry, so to speak, and make a post about my ribs. Many posters here have sampled my wares, and now you too can try them at home (provided of course you have a smoker and some time to devote to the art of barbecue). I use the 3-2-1 method, with no basting, no misting, no sauce - and no complaints from anyone who has tried them.These are pictures from my Memorial Day Barbecue this summer - something that I hope will become a tradition in el casa de hornian. PM me for invites next May.I present to you:hornian's 10-step Process to Win Friends and Influence People Through Meat

Step 1:
    Cut a hole in the box. Oh wait, wrong meat. The REAL step 1 is to trim and rub your meat. I usually get my ribs from Costco - the quality is consistently good and they give you a good sized rack (if you get them from the grocery store it is hit or miss, the racks could be huge or tiny).

There is a flap on the back that you need to trim off, as well trimming off the large steak-like portion of meet from the end of the ribs. It's kind of hard to explain, but this site has some really good pictures that make it easy to know what to cut and what to keep. And when I say keep, I mean keep together, I smoke all the meat I trim off as well so don't throw anything you cut off away. It's just that you want it off before you smoke it rather than after. I should note that I DO NOT take off the membrane on the back, and I've never had any problems or complaints, the one time I did take the membrane off the racks wouldn't stay together.

After the ribs are trimmed, I put down a really thin "base coat" of deli style mustard, and then rub with a combination of good ol' Bolner's Fiesta Pork Rub and McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. And I do mean rub, it all sort of mixes together with the mustard when you rub it on the rack of ribs (only in the meat side), and your hands get dirty as hell, but it washes off easily. When you are done your ribs should look something like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 2:
    Start your fire. I use briquets - I tried the lump charcoal but I guess that I'm not experienced enough to keep a regulated temperature with that. I usually buy the HEB brand mesquite charcoal, it works great. To start the fire I use a chimney starter that you can buy at HEB to get my coals going:

[​IMG]

Step 3:
    Prepare your firebox. I have your typical old offset firebox type pit. It's kind of leaky and the metal isn't as thick as your fancier set ups, but it gets the job done:

[​IMG]

Step 4:
    Add the coals to the firebox (as you can see I try to elevate the coals a bit, and keep them away from the vent on the end with some metal grates), I fill in towards the back and leave a space for the coals from the chimney starter closest to the opening. I guess its so that they burn front to back, but I don't know if that's really the case, it's just what I do and I don't like change:

[​IMG]

Step 5:
    Throw some logs on the fire (I use mesquite because I have a good source, but oak or pecan, properly aged of course, works well also) after you add the coals from the chimney, close the lid on the firebox and the pit, and get your temperatures to hold steady at about 225. When that happens, put your racks of ribs on the grill:[​IMG]Step 6: Drink a beer, or 4:

[​IMG]

Step 7:
    While drinking beer, keep the pit temperatures as close to 225 as possible for 3 hours. Don't peek at the ribs, they are still there, and when you open the lid on the pit you let out most of the heat. I have a digital thermometer that I stick in the pit that does pretty well. After 3 hours, your ribs should look like this (notice how the meat has pulled back from the ends of the bones):

[​IMG]

Step 8:
    During the last 30 minutes of step 7 you should have been preheating your oven to 225 or so. Take the ribs off the pit, wrap each rack up individually in foil (even though in the picture below I have them two racks to a foil pack, I've since moved on to individually wrapping them and I like the results), and put them in the oven for 90 minutes to 2 hours. The foil will make the ribs moist and tender, with the meat practically falling off the bones (in fact, be careful when moving the ribs between steps 8 and 9 because sometimes the bones will literally slip right out) and they look like this when you take them out after 2 hours or so of making your kitchen smell wonderful:

[​IMG]

Step 9:
    Put the ribs back on the pit (I usually have something smoking on there at this time, like chicken or sausage), and let them "firm up" in the smoke for about an hour. You could just eat them after the oven step and the meat would fall right off the bone. However, that's not what I like, I like to firm the meat up a little bit and be able to cut them up and have the meat not be so tender you need a fork. Ribs are meant to be eaten with your hands! And I happen to think the extra hour in the smoke gives the "bark" a little bit of extra flavor. After this step your ribs should look like this:

[​IMG]

Step 10:
    Let the ribs rest, and then carve them with your knife of choice, slicing between the bones. You can also cut the "knuckes" on the end off, but you don't have to. Be sure to save the best for the chef, because if you put them out they will go fast.

Any questions, let me know. If you live in Austin and want a tutorial, you're always welcome at my place. Just buy the meat and the beer and we'll smoke the ribs and watch the Rose Bowl on DVD.

2. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

I shamelessly stole this method last Summer and the ribs were damn near perfect.

3. I am lucky that hornian is not particular about who he hangs out with. He is to give me lessons on how to do this and teach me the ropes. I trust he knows how much this means to me and how serious I will take it.

His method is outstanding. The madness to it is the taste.

4. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

I've had these ribs before.

They will make you wet.

5. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

sometimes being lazy as **** has its drawbacks.

6. Phil Hellmuth

Phil Hellmuth 100+ Posts

i've had many a foodgasms at our tailgates courtesy of Hornian.

7. NEwherebutA&M

NEwherebutA&M 100+ Posts

8. lnghrngrl

lnghrngrl 25+ Posts

9. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

my pork rib recipe has a patent pending and involves baby backs and takes 2 days (24 hours for brining), but the local store was out of baby backs, so i am trying this 3-2-1 recipe today. 2 racks are on right now (with homemade rub)

10. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

Looks delicious.

11. Anastasis

Anastasis 1,000+ Posts

That's good living right there.

12. MAROON

MAROON 250+ Posts

very nice. Have you ever thought to put them in the fridge overnight after taking off the membrane and putting on the rub?

13. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

14. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

why do you bother to trim that flap off, I never do and my ribs come out great, I like the extra meat and what's the deal with some people removing the membrane? That's some of the best part, kind'a like bbq chewing gum.

Dry rub, smoke, time, that's the secret, no mustard (too much like that evil stuff, sauce) no trimming, no weird **** like boiling the ribs first.

Some people actually boil the ribs first [​IMG] and then grill them, WTF?

went up against a guy from tenn (there's the problem) with my brisket and pork ribs, kicked his ***, brisket of course, but my ribs were better, and he went to a shitload more trouble, triimmed 'em, boiled 'em, marinated 'em, basted them, grilled 'em, work work work, all I did was throw on some of the same rub I used on my brisket, no sugar (sugar in a rub is damn near as evil as sauce) and threw them on the pit for the last 3 hours of the brisket's cooking time. took it all off the pit, wrapped it all in foil and put it in the ice chest to keep warm while we drove to the party and kicked ***.

Simple is best.

15. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

16. The Bone

The Bone 100+ Posts

Holy ****, these were good.

I used a little Meyer's sauce for dipping every once and a while, but you really don't need it. [​IMG]

17. MaximumBarnes

MaximumBarnes 100+ Posts

I don't see any brine.

18. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

19. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Good stuff, hornian. That's the way I do mine -- I probably stole it from a post of yours -- except I remove the membrane. I've never had them fall apart, but I could see how that might happen.

I like the yellow mustard wet rub followed by whatever I can find in the pantry to dust them up.

20. Slomo Play

Slomo Play 25+ Posts

I know you won't taste the mustard, but what would you recommend to substitute for it? Also, dumb question, but why add charcoal that is not already burning?

21. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

22. ckiems

ckiems 25+ Posts

only thing i do different is add brown sugar and I drink Lone Star!!!

23. RansomStoddard

RansomStoddard 25+ Posts

24. TEXAS1026

TEXAS1026 100+ Posts

My dad and I use practically the same setup with a few differences...

We use a combination of olive oil, worchestershire sauce and soy sauce and a wet base for our dry rub. We don't wrap in foil, and we smoke them with pecan bark we get from my sister's FIL in Driftwood.

We smoked up 3 racks today on our old barrel pit using an offset fire setup and natural lump charcoal (combo of lit and unlit) and had the ribs resting to the side of the fire in a rib rack I found at Academy. They were so tender that they were getting torn apart when we cut em up, and the rub combined perfectly with the pecan smoke. Amazing dinner.

25. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

I started using this method almost a year ago. The steaming part is really where the magic happens.

A few things I've added along the way:
    1. I make my own rub, and often include turbinado ("Sugar in the Raw"). Not enough to make them sweet tasting, but a little really brings out the flavor.

2. I found that 6 hours is too much time, so I usually only do 4.5 to 5, depending on the size of the ribs. I usually aim for the smaller spare ribs though, around 3.5 lbs per rack. This weekend I did 2.5 - 2 - 0.5, and that came out pretty well.

3. I've done trimmed and untrimmed. Most people prefer the meatiness of the untrimmed, but sometimes they seem fattier (not necessarily a bad thing).

26. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

27. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

28. #3Rules

#3Rules 250+ Posts

well, that was a quick reply. [​IMG]

29. Ok_Longhorn

Ok_Longhorn 25+ Posts

Been trying this method but the top of mine are burnt black.

I have a digital thermometer and keep it 200-240 degs. for the first 3 hours and they come out looking like I burnt the snot out of them.

I checked the thermometer in the oven and it was pretty close. +/- 10 degrees or so. I'm going to check it this weekend with a laser temp gauge but was wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

30. Mistadobalina

Mistadobalina 100+ Posts

yeah, I've done them 3 times and they've always been overdone, and I've done the 3 - 1.5 - .5 method actually. I have to think there are some oddities with my smoker and I'm still a rookie.
    But yeah, I thought I'd kept them @ ~210-240 for 3 hours, foiled them and popped them in the oven @ 225 for an hour and a half and then back on the smoker unfoiled for another half hour, and they turn out really dry.