Smoked Pork Spareribs - A How To By hornian

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by hornian, Dec 24, 2006.

1. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

To the last 2 posters - how big are you smokers?

Your symptoms tend to make me think that you have a smaller smoker (if it's an offset like mine, well, like mine was before it disappeared), and the ribs are too close to the firebox.

If that is the case, try fashioning some sort of baffle (I use extra heavy duty foil doubled over) to keep a bit of the direct heat off the meat.

Remember, the only reason low and slow works is because you're using indirect heat. If you're letting the ribs get too much direct heat for 3 hours they are going to dry out and/or get burnt.

2. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Also, check your temperature gauge placement. Just this Saturday I had the probe too low in the chamber and it was reading about 215 when in reality the temperature where the ribs were was closer to 275. If that happens for too long, voilà, dry ribs.

3. Ok_Longhorn

Ok_Longhorn 25+ Posts

Ok, either I posted my response in the wrong thread or a mod moved it in an attempt to keep me from thread jacking.

I thought about it after I posted it and thought I might want to post a new thread about it anyway so I think I'll do that.

New Thread

Oh, and OU sucks!

4. brwhorn

brwhorn 100+ Posts

newbie question - since the smoker and the oven are both going at 225, why not wrap them in foil after the initial smoking period, then throw them back on the smoker for the "steaming" period, then unwrap and back to the smoker for the last bit?

5. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

6. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Hulla nailed it, mostly for easier temp regulation, and because I usually use the pit for smoking something else (sausage, chicken, pork loin, whatever I feel like) when the ribs are in the oven. But you CAN just foil them and keep them on the pit, that's what I did at the TCU tailgate when I didn't have an oven.

Of course then I went to the hospital several hours later for dehydration and no longer have a smoker because I wasn't able to retrieve it before the maintenance crew came by Sunday morning, so all in all I prefer the oven.

7. Ok_Longhorn

Ok_Longhorn 25+ Posts

BTW, last weekend, we had a bunch of people over. I cooked up a bunch of ribs using this recipe and they turned out excellent. I basically used the dial gauge and switch from pecan to hickory and they didn't need sauce.. So thanks for helping me through it.

I also did a Brisket and, well, I have a way still to go..

8. Mistadobalina

Mistadobalina 100+ Posts

I'm going to ensure that my temp gauges are correct. I use digital thermometers, and I'm going to test them in the oven to make sure I'm they're correct.

I also wrap them in foil and hang them off the grating so the end tends to be only a few inches off the bottom of the smokebox, so maybe that 's a problem too.

9. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

10. GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker 25+ Posts

I've got a question about finishing the ribs.

Could I put the ribs in the fridge after step 2, and then throw them on a grill tomorrow for an hour before serving. I don't want to get up at 6 am tomorrow morning to begin smoking and then have to transfer all of them to another house right out of the oven.

How much damage would this do and is it feasible? I'm not that concerned if it only affects the taste and texture marginally.

11. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

After step 2? I'm assuming that is the 2 hours in the oven.

Just my feeble opinion-
    I guess it would do in a pinch but you really don't get the same effect. If I had to, I would probably just finish them completely, then warm the up the next day either on a grill or in the oven. All of the juices from the fat are going to solidify in the fridge and you won't get the good 'crusting' effect if you don't finish them completely on the original cook.

It really is amazing how much the ribs change between each step. When they come out the oven on step 2, they are soft. After the 1 hour back on the smoker, they develop a great crust texture and really 'firm up'. If they went into the fridge, they wouldn't develop that crust. That hour back in the smoke is a crucial step.

As an aside, I had 1 slab left over in the past session, so I cut all of the meat off, and chopped it up. It made GREAT sammiches this week and I saved about 2 cups and am going to make the best ******* bbq beans with that rib meat.

12. GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker 25+ Posts

Well ****. I just did what I said I was going to do. I'm gonna let them heat up to room temp and then throw them on the grill later on indirect heat. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the response though.

13. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

How did they turn out?

14. GrahamCracker

GrahamCracker 25+ Posts

They turned out really well. They were still really tender and had all the smoky flavor that you would expect. Didn't dry out either.

I just through them on my friends gas grill. Moved them to the opposite side of the burner that I had as low as it could go. The temp in the chamber was around 225 and I left them in there for about an hour and 15 minutes.

I got compliments on them for what its worth.

15. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I've got my own rub I normally use for ribs, but I tried hornian's preparation and cooking method for the first time last weekend, and they turned out great. Plenty of compliments from all involved.

So, many thanks to hornian for the detailed instructions. Good stuff!

16. LazyEngineer

LazyEngineer 500+ Posts

I made some of these today following the cooking directions in the original post. For the seasoning, I tried didn't have time to pre-rub the meat, so I decided to try something new. I took regular Helman's mustard and rubbed it into the spareribs. Then ground some peppercorn, sea salt, and garlic powder coarsely and applied it liberally.

They were the best ribs I've ever made, and I've smoked quite a few. Best seasoning ever. Great cooking method as well.

17. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

If you cannot smoke them (i.e. no smoker) and have to do them all int he oven how do you change the time of the no foil/foil/no foil?

Any temp change too?

18. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

19. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

HIHK - Never tried that. I'd assume the time would be roughly the same, and the temp would be the same as well.

They are going to taste a lot different though, I guarantee that.

20. Hornin Hong Kong

thanks - i'll try it today - relize it's suboptimal but living in an apartment until we can move into our renovated house (and get a smoker).

21. Hornin Hong Kong

Okay I did this with the same times and temps all in the oven.

They were very tasty - for my rub i used olive oil, S/P, and Garlic.

The foil made them really tender. I did remove teh membrane which for make works. I don't like it and I really think it helped.

BTW - how to remove a membrane - voila
    The Link

I'm sure they would have been even better if smoked but in the oven if you dont have a smoker is fine - ribs vs no ribs is no contest.

If you have a mustard phobia (like me) olive oil made a great base.

22. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I know I risk bbq hell--

hornian close your eyes

[​IMG]

I flip the flame cover upside down and put wood chips on it-- grrill keeps me at 225 pretty good-- heat on right-- ribs on left

I did a turkey for Christmas-- mustard/black pepper rub and pecan chips

23. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

I can't even tell what's going on in that picture. But whatever works for you, keep on doing it.

24. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

I saw this two years ago when I was living in a condo- have been looking forward to trying it ever since. Wife and I got a house this summer, got the smoker this week, made them this morning. Absolutely wonderful- hornian, you've done the world a great service!

25. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

26. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

going to try this for the first time this weekend for fathers day, thus figured I'd bump to the top

27. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

28. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

Good luck with it Roger! Just remember- don't peek at the ribs and keep the beverages cold while you work!

29. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

you lost me at pig.

30. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I have 2 racks of pork spare ribs in the freezer. I love this recipe. I just change the type of rub I use.... I might make another change and put some Salt Lick sauce on at the beginning to carmelize....

I just have to think what occasion I'm going to save for the ribs....