Smoked Turkey

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by dognduckhorn, Nov 11, 2011.

1. dognduckhorn

dognduckhorn 500+ Posts

It's that time of year. What suggestions do folks have to smoke a turkey in a pit. I have seen online recipes for stuffing the cavity with apples celery onions oranges to maintain moisture and impart a little flavor to the meat. I have also read about prepping by soaking the bird in brine overnight.

I have tried this last year with two challenges. One is maintaining heat for an extended period (six hours) The other was trying not to burn the skin (Put foil and oil on top, and definitely foil the breast for the last two hours)

Tips and tricks?

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I smoked a turkey for the first time last Thanksgiving. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damn good, and I think for two reasons that you mention.

1. Brine the sucker.
    2. Wrap in foil midway through smoking.

I'm sure more experienced turkey smokers will have additional input.

3. Stove Top

Stove Top 25+ Posts

I would add my two cents. Unless you buy an organic / fresh turkey OR kill your own, most turkeys are ALREADY brined. I did not realize this until my cousin pointed it out to me. On the packaging it will say something like, "injected with up to a 10% sodium solution." Pre-brined for your convenience.

I used to brine my turkeys as well. I do not now and can't really tell the difference. Now, if you do brine, it will not cause any problems - just might make a super duper moist bird. I hope this helps.

4. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

Just order one from Greenberg's in Tyler. They can't be beat!

5. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

I'm not a fan of Greenberg's. Too much smoke/injection stuff.

Smoked one last year for T-day. Very easy, google is your friend. also, 1) brine (get a turkey bag, it helps) and 2) foil at some point so you dont blacken the skin (it also braises the bird).

it was great and very easy.

6. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

envgeo, each to their own...

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You can get the Greenberg turkeys at Central Market too. They are very smokey, but are very good in my opinion.

8. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

Screw smoking it. Just cut the bird up and deep fry the sucker. Deep fried turkey is much better tasting than deep fried chicken IMO. Of course, I do realize that some of you old farts are worried about your health [​IMG] .....

9. Horndale

Horndale 100+ Posts

Agreed, fry the turkey.
    Smoked turkey is dry turkey.

10. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

greenberg's are good in small doses only because i think they are too smokey. i actually favor a really good roasted turkey with onions, herbs and some citrus stuffed in the cavity. cover it in a bag while cooking and it is really great.

11. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

"Greenberg turkeys at Central Market"

Cool. Good to know I can get one now on a whim and not ahve to wait for a relative to show up with one at Christmas.

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

13. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

14. Y Sanchez

Y Sanchez 250+ Posts

I'd say that sums it up nicely.

The only thing I can think to add is watch Texas make aggy their ***** to complete a perfect day.

15. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

What Horndale said.

16. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts