Smoker

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Bevo5, May 17, 2010.

1. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Ok -- please don't yell at me because I'm sure this thread has been started before, but I looked for it and didn't find it so screw it.

I'm looking to buy a smoker...but I'm not going to be very good at it, and there's a better than decent chance that it gets stolen out of my backyard (although I'll chain that ***** up). So I don't want to spend more than like $150 or so if possible.

So first question - is that possible? Second question, if so....what would you guys recommend? My main items of choice will be briskets and chicken.

Thanks....sorry for repeating a thread.

2. Bye Week

Bye Week 250+ Posts

Dude, if your budget is $150ish go to Academy, buy the New Bransfels Hondo, and get going (I think it retails at $149.99 unless it is on sale). There are better smokers out there but at that price, you will get several years out of it with great results, especially if you keep it covered.

3. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Thanks man - sounds like a plan.

Look for my "DAMNIT MY SMOKER GOT STOLEN" thread in about a month.

4. Umpus

Umpus 100+ Posts

It's worth taking a look on craigslist. You may be able to find one that is a few years old, but can be refurbed fairly easily. The main thing I don't like about the ones at Academy is that they have thin metal, ~1/8". They won't hold heat as well as one with 1/4" metal. As long as the thing isn't riddled with rust, you can get it working and looking like new.

5. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

You can line the inside with some fire bricks to help heat retention in the lighter metal units.

6. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Another problem with some of the lighter, cheaper units is that they bolt together rather than being welded, which is just another area for heat to escape. I don't know anything about this particular one at Academy, this is just something to keep an eye out for.

I know a guy who bought a cheap one, and then used his cheap welder to eliminate the gaps, so that might be an option as well.

7. hornian

hornian 1,000+ Posts

Yes, check craigslist. I bought a great used smoker on there (heay gauge metal, all seams welded, etc.) for $250. A new one would have gone for at least $750.

8. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

you can also buy fireplace caulk and use it at the bolted joints to provide a better seal.