Smoking a venison ham roast

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Son of a Son, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Got a free venison roast and think I am gonna smoke it. I think I'll marinate it overnight in a little worcesteshire sauce and itialian dressing with some sliced onions tossed in. I'll smoke it to about 150 degrees or so and then rest it hoping not to dry it out.

Any suggestions, tips, modifications, tricks you guys have?

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Yeah. Nail it to a board, smoke it, toss it, and then eat the board. The best way to deal with a venison "roast" is probably lost if it is already frozen, but if you "muscle it out" you can have some decent eats. That means separating the muscles and cooking them like you would a tenderloin. I have heard of some sort of coffee concoction that some people advocate. Google venison and coffee. A compound butter made with sage will help your roast, but I've tried cooking venison hams a bunch and they are VERY lean and don't take very well to the cooking times it takes to cook them thru. You will have to wrap it in fat (bacon) to keep it from turning into shoe leather.

3. Son of a Son

Hmm, I may try to carve it out. That's actually not a bad idea.

4. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Once it is thawed, the muscles will show you where to go. It will be fairly obvious to you. If you are a workout guy, you probably understand the concept of muscle bundles. Just separate them out. Sage works really well with venison imho. If this was a viable site and not in the offseason you would find others who would disagree with me. Can't help with that.

5. Son of a Son

Lol, fair enough!

6. ElginHotSausage

ElginHotSausage 500+ Posts

I smoke it for 3 or 4 hrs then I wrap it in bacon and then foil so that it doesn't dry out, and continueing slow cooking for a few more hours. The bacon masks the "wild" flavor that can be overwhelming, and the foil keeps it from drying out.
    I use Harley's seasoning from Giddings.