SMU looking at Orlando?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Desperado, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

2. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

If true it better be a requirement that they also have to take Beck. We need to get something out of it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

We should be able to pay him as much to be DC as they can pay to make him HC.
    Make it so!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Orangebloods "insiders" claimed he is indeed on the short list.

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think SMU should definitely consider relocating to Orlando.

• Like Like x 6
  6. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Yep, that would be a good move. Good recruiting base there. Might be kind of expensive though. Wonder how the students would feel about that move? My niece is a student there, I can ask her if she's heard about this? Ha ha!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully the people in Highland Park will use some of their smarts to go after a proven HC. SMU has made greater improvements in their academic standing than any school in the country. (From third tier to #56, while we dropped from 43 to 52) Now is the time for them to move away from gambling on coordinators, and grab a proven HC, preferably one with Texas ties.

HELLO, SONNY DYKES!

• Like Like x 2
  8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

They play like 9 bowl games a year in Orlando, as opposed to none on the Hilltop. I agree, let em move! It will really piss off their 412 season ticket holders.

"PROBATION MANIA!"

• Like Like x 1
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

SMU generally wants offensive coaches. (Phil Bennet was a defensive coach and came close to destroying the program - could not win or put even a few butts in the seats.)

Dykes should be their man.

• Like Like x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Someone help me please. Exactly why would any of those listed, other than Traylor, accept the HC position at SMU without the buyout, much less with?

Kevin Sumlin - sitting on $10 million waiting for a P5 gig

TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie - he has rejected opportunities to interview for better jobs

North Texas head coach Seth Littrell - another successful year in Denton, and the phone will be ringing of the wall

Tulane head coach Willie Fritz - the next Taggert

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables- i think he is stupid, just not that stupid

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele - sure, the only school to ever get the death penalty will bring in one of the biggest bag men in NCAA history?

Ridiculous, but most ADs and school presidents are.

12. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

13. LonghornCatholic

Yea, I'm hoping he's just leveraging for a raise.

I think he should just ask. He certainly earned it.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I always had a policy with my people, you talk to anyone that wants to talk. It's good experience for when you find one you do want; plus you learn about the competition.

15. LonghornCatholic

Interesting tweet.

16. LonghornCatholic

So, did he interview or not?

17. LonghornCatholic

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes he did, with Herman's permission.

If Tom Herman is one of those insecure ******* that thinks "you're for me or against me", then we need to ship his *** out because he will never be successful anywhere. I don't believe Herman is that way.

19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I think it will come down to traylor and orlando just due to the buyout situation I read something else saying they would like tryalor to stay on as the OC if he doesn’t get the job

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

2018 recruit Byron Hobbs' mom, who is active on twitter, got after Chip Brown for the Orlando story. Basically called him click bait

• Like Like x 2
  21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Report in the Dallas Morning News is the players have been vocal in that they want Traylor.

• Like Like x 2
  22. rick mueller

Well, I would like to see the Mustang players get a Christmas present in the form of Jeff Traylor as a HC. See how generous I can be. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worked for the players at Oregon

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yup

26. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

OK what in the wide world of sports is going on???

If he interviewed, fine. If not, fine. But if he didn't, who is telling Horns247 that he had an interview that blew SMU away and they really liked him? Makes you wonder who each person's sources are.

At some point, I think we need a rule that journalists have to at least disclose the job description of their source. "A janitor at the SMU library told me he heard..."

• Like Like x 2
  27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I think he did the interview

28. rick mueller

Sadly, with so many "writers" and bloggers out there, the truth is a completely irrelevant concept.The dominant principle for all these people is to get content out there. Facts have little to no value. At least one of the stories above is false and indeed both may have been written by someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the situation.

• Like Like x 2
  29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

SH, you struck a chord...

This is a genuine concern of mine and it has been since before Herman was hired. I suppose it won't matter if he brings in the players over the next 50 days, and rights the ship on the field next year and the year after. But TH is very thin skinned, probably a defense mechanism for an insecure personality. I get that Nick Saban, also thin skinned, is the best coach in the game today. But I don't have to like it and I certainly don't respect such individuals.

I think it was Forbes who said, " You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

I grew to really like Charlie Strong, a complete failure in the position at Texas, because he was genuine and real. You "can" be a winning football coach and still be a likeable guy who treats people, including the reporters, with respect.

A little humility wouldn't be a bad thing for Mr. Herman to acquire.

• Like Like x 2
  30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

While I agree with your general sentiment, I think there is a difference between a benevolent drill sergeant type and a control freak. I'd be hesitant to put a "my way or the highway" guy into a "doesn't care about his guys" bucket.