Snow Storm Stuff

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Chop, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It’s a real winter wonderland in DFW. We stocked up on groceries and will likely be home until Thursday or so. I played with the kids in the snow and am sitting in front of the fire now with some hot chocolate.

Any RGV folks out there? I’m hoping the citrus crop doesn’t get wiped out down there.

Like I said in another thread: any more of this global warming and we’ll all freeze to death.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Metroplex is far worse than Houston, but all of our reporters are honor graduates of the National Inquirer School of Making **** Up.

If any of you are familiar with the Hwy 6/290 interchange in Hempstead, it has been the poster child for reporters, while it should be the poster child for the stupidity that exists in and around Brazos County, That interchange is similar to the Hwy 71/10 in Columbus. If it is freezing weather, you get off of hwy 71, go through downtown Columbus OR you slide down the overpass out of control,

Today, eight vehicles including an 18 wheeler got stuck on the Hempstead overpass rather than go the 500 yards out of the way, turn left at the stop sign, and never be elevated off the ground.

There was soo little common sense between the reporters and drivers, Tom Herman was probably in charge.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

A seemingly common credential in today's media.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

from my backyard cam

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Rolling black outs in the DFW area.
    My service was out twice since midnight.

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

2.5 million have suffered power outages (short-term rolling blackout or longer outages) in Texas per Accu Weather tv.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You know its cold when .....

[​IMG]

• Hot Hot x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Lake Austin

[​IMG]

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

My longest"rolling outage" was 5 hours. People without fireplaces have to be hurting. It is brutal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

We've been blessed to maintain power at our house here in west Austin but my sister and her family are further into town and have been without since 2:00 AM. Luckily they have a generator hooked up but authorities are saying to not expect power to return until late Tuesday. Then we have another ice storm coming Wednesday.

Suddenly an early September game in the sun at DKR is sounding rather nice.

:whiteflag:

• Hot Hot x 1
  11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ours in katy went out around 2:30 am. Been running generator since about 10am, sooo thankful for it and that it started. Gas fire place is a life saver. Tonight will probably sleep in the den by fireplace.

• Hot Hot x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like more than the supposed “rolling outage,” huh?

We’ve stayed on the whole time thus far, but two families we know just over a mile away have been out since early this morning. I don’t know if it’s downed power lines, luck of the draw, or something else.

We’re getting a huge number of birds. We put out a lot of seed and then cleared the snow off it and spread around even more seed. They’re all flying over here. Cardinals in the snow, in particular, are quite beautiful.

13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hooked up TV to gen and used antenna to pick up local Channel in time to hear Abbott interview. He said it was frozen equipment of supplier to the Texas distributors. In other words, not our fault. Who knows but the know nothing judge Hidalgo said may be out till Weds or even Thurs but she understands and feels bad for us.
    Like someone already said, this global warming is freezing me to death.

14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Weatherman slamming ERCOT for poor planning, etc. saying Oklahoma has just several thousand outages with a much worse storm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

3 million without power.

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Forecast calls for 3-5 MORE inches of snow for DFW from Tuesday night through Thursday. Bad ice will blanket the Southern parts of the Metroplex and South of there.

This is going to get nasty and (even more) dangerous.

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

North Ft Worth — the water is now dangerous. The Eagle Mountain water treatment plant is down. Authorities say don’t drink it.

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Wife just shot down my idea to watch the Donner Party movie tonight...

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like they need to drop the R and call it ECOT.

All the "hey people with power turn the heat in your down to 68" stuff is sad/amusing, first because that's still pretty warm compared to the 48 or so it is in the house of people without power, and also because of how necessary it is. Wonder how many people are out blasting their heat at like 74, even though they'd turn the AC down lower than that in the summer.

But also because Joe Blow turning his thermostat down a few degrees isn't going to accomplish jack squat compared to all the commercial waste going on. All sorts of wasted lighting on empty floors of all the big office parks in The Domain and at ACC Highland Center, and all the field lights are turned on at the new soccer stadium! WTF?!

Even with a fireplace, it doesn't help much once you're more than about 5 feet away.

Our apt in NW Austin has had no power since Thursday afternoon. So we headed over to my in-laws place in Pflugerville and they've had no power since 3am last night. 13 people at my company and 2 had power today. Checked in with several friends in Temple and Houston, and none of them have power. Colossal failure here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

1.1 here in Shreveport at 0545 hrs...........got about 6 inches of the white stuff...........Ice Storm probable tomorrow/Thursday morn..........then slowly moderating...........be above freezing Friday.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

World’s ‘solar and wind capital’ freezing due to snow ‘blanketing millions’ of solar panels
    Germany is held up as the world’s solar and wind capital by “renewables luvvies” but Germans are freezing through winter due to “millions of solar panels blanketed in snow” and turbines sitting idle, according to Rowan Dean

• Like Like x 1
  22. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Damn
    I have had power 5 out of last 31 hours. an hour or two at a time.
    and yes even with fireplace it was 38 in here when power came on at 7.
    Don't know how long it will be on. Heating lots of water for thermoses etc.
    Bad stuff coming
    Stay warm and safe everyone

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What could be worse than another ice storm

Funny you should ask

Snownado!

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

In the Heights - left water running but had no power, woke up to the frozen stream

[​IMG]

• Hot Hot x 1
  25. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

We were talking to some friends in Round Rock who have the same thing happening to their interior faucets. Never in my lifetime would I have thought...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

hancej123_2021-Feb-16.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

30 hrs straight no E at my house Houston north. Finally back on at 11am. Damn it was a cold night last night. 11 deg outside, close to freezing inside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Birds -- this afternoon the Robins showed up in force. Our front yard is like something from an Alfred Hitchcock movie. They don't seem to care as much about the bird seed as the other birds, but there's something about our yard that they're loving.

I just hope we have a low-bug Spring after enduring this.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I installed a gas-powered generator in August (went with Kohler)
    I keep waiting for it to be tested, but we have not had any outage yet.
    One of my neighbors suggested we are on a hospital line and they are attempting not to cut those

• Like Like x 1
  30. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Right about now, I am really a tad miffed at the lefties that killed South Texas Nuclear 3 and 4...they were permitted almost 35 years ago as I recall and then never got built. Instead, we got a focus onto this green crapola that isn't worth a damn.

I lost power in north Houston shortly after 2AM Monday and JUST got it back around 10AM this morning. One end of the house dropped to 44 at the coldest, with the other at around 46. Pipes generally held, but we did have the cold water pipes at one end of the feed freeze in the attic sometime late last night...no bursting and we got them to mostly unthaw by running the hot water for about 20 minutes. The lines are close to each other and that seemed to have helped. There could also have been SOME amount of heat from the chimney since I had fired up the gas logs...decorative but useless as far as a meaningful source of heat.

We had gas which meant we could cook on the stove and we had hot water.

The question is when we get screwed tonight...and for how long. My response has been to fire the furnace up to 73 to build some heat. I usually do the 'responsible' thing and keep it at 68 when I am home and 64 when not. After this nonsense, I say screw it...I may pay an extra $50 for tonight, but I won't be freezing in the AM!

I've had word that, at least as of this afternoon, there was still no power in my office, which is close to downtown. As such, not sure if I am going in tomorrow or not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2