Snowden granted asylum in Russia

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by djimaplon, Aug 1, 2013.

1. djimaplon

djimaplon 250+ Posts

Do people still think this guy is a hero?

link

2. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Those Moscow girls really knock me out and leave the West behind......

I wonder if he'd make the same decision again, knowing what he knows now?

No I don't think he's a hero.

3. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

Snowden did the right thing by blowing the whistle on the NSA and it's spying WITHOUT A WARRANT on all of us. How that doesn't bother some people is beyond comprehension.

Russia wouldn't be my first choice cause it's just way too cold, but it's a start.

4. EasternHorn

EasternHorn 500+ Posts

I do not think he is a hero. He may have had good intentions...maybe....but not a hero.

5. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

I am on the fence on this one, if you give an inch they will take a mile and at some point the government, IRS, Democrats or Republicans are going to abuse the system.

6. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

May have been a hero initially but has become a glory ***** traitor since the initial disclosure.

7. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

8. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Even if he remains on a leash in Russia, justice may actually be served. Snowden's freedom is going to be extremely limited by Putin - that ex KGB officer that knows a thing, or two about dealing with traitors.

Won't be long before Ed's drowning in Vodka and mumbling "What was I thinking?" to himself.

9. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

10. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

11. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

A condition that Putin laid down, supposedly, is that Snowden not continue doing what he has been doing so as to not do further damage to the U.S. Didn't Putin calls us partners or something? I would assume that him doing a book to get rich and keep this whole thing going would qualify as just what Putin does not want.

He's former KGB and may look down on Snowden as a wannabe or weak snitch of some sort so I would not push buttons were I Snowden. I think Putin wants him to shut the hell up until Jason Bourne deals with him if the powers that be decide to activate the asset.

12. Seattle Husker

13. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Pansy *** traitor! Hope his pecker freezes!

[​IMG]

14. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

It's purely shocking how many of you think it's fine for the NSA to just spy on it's own citizens without warrants. Next why don't we just go door to door and search people's homes too, or we can just put up road blocks and go through folks cars all in the name of "security". I'm sure you same people would think it's just fine if the gvt just started taking people's property too, maybe take all the money out of your bank accounts because they "need" it.

Lets just tear up the Bill of Rights while we're at it too, to hell with the 2nd amendment.

15. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Germans finally admit Snowden is a Russian agent, aimed at dividing West

http://m.focus.de/magazin/kurzfassu...ischen-westeuropa-und-den-usa_id_5439235.html

(this was Google translated)
    Berlin. The whistleblower Edward Snowden is part of Russian intelligence operations against Germany and Western Europe. This declared Gerhard Schindler, President of the Federal Intelligence Service (BND) and Hans-Georg Maassen, President of the Federal Office for Protection of the Constitution (BfV) in a double interview with the news magazine FOCUS.

"It is very obvious that he just documents on cooperation between the NSA with the BND or the English has published secret GCHQ" said BND Schindler. His colleague Maaßen added: "If you look at the Snowden story on the surface, one might initially think that he wanted to lead the world public aware of how the NSA collects data of its own citizens and politicians of other states". But you must not believe that, led the BfV head against the Nachrichtemagazin further. "The publication of Snowden papers in particular Germany, the United States and other Western countries harmed. It is striking that there are no publications on countries such as China are or Russia, which are still the main intelligence targets of NSA surveillance. The betrayal of the secret documents is an attempt to drive a wedge between Western Europe and the United States - the biggest since the Second World War, "said Maassen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  18. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

f**k Snowden. No pardon. No special treatment in court.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Is it special treatment for an accused to be allowed to speak in court?
    Wouldn't his own attorney ask questions in a way to get his story out?

21. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Will trump accept the same deal from Putin? :)

22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

There are plenty of things the NSA has done that are worthy of criticism. None of that makes it Snowden's place to become a traitorous leaker.

I will say this though. I don't understand liberals who think Snowden is rotten but we're cool with Obama granting clemency to "Chelsea" Manning. That makes no sense - makes it look like Snowden's real sin wasn't being a leaker but was not wanting his schlong cut off. (Of course, if you've seen his girlfriend, you understand why he'd want to keep his junk.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  23. Seattle Husker

If you claim "law and order" is important you can't pick your moments on when following the law is important and when it isn't. That detracts from your credibility.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Massive illegal surveillance by our government should not be exposed?

25. Seattle Husker

There are Whisteblower processes forwhat you are proposing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

He can testify in court, but he shouldn't be allowed to testify outside the bounds of rules of evidence. And I highly suspect that "his story" would not be consistent with the rules of evidence.

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

There's a right way and a wrong way to do that. Being a traitorous leaker is the wrong way. In the late '40s, some thought it was morally wrong for only the US to have the atomic bomb. That didn't make it ok for the Rosenbergs to sell our technology to the Soviet Union.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

" suspect that "his story" would not be consistent with the rules of evidence."
    Suspect is a key word. We don't know what he actually wants maybe can understand his skepticism.
    Is that a reason to not allow him his day in court?
    Wouldn't a judge cut him off if he veered outside the rules?

29. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Snowden aside, it is not hard to imagine a scenario where breaking a law is the right and moral thing to do under the circumstances
    It is not always so black and white

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No, it's not a reason, and I'm not suggesting that the shouldn't get his day in court. I'm suggesting that he shouldn't get special treatment in court.

He generally gets to tell his story. However, the prosecutor will ask the court to bar him from discussing certain topics that he'd very likely consider party of his story.