Band and Cheer Stuff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

At long last …

Just in time for the 2019 RRS …

College Marching Productions releases Episode 5 of
    TAKE THE FIELD, featuring ..................................

THE SHOWBAND OF THE SOUTHWEST *

at the 2018 RRS

CAUTION: Please be advised that this episode contains footage of extremely obnoxious OU fans** that some viewers may find objectionable. And there is one OU fan so repulsive that the image will be etched into your brain cells until the day you die. Really & truly, I'm not kidding. You have been warned.

"We represent the University and it's important that we do that in a first class manner."
    ~ Dr. Scott Hanna, Director of the Longhorn Band

*please forgive me for the all-caps. I get excited.
    **yes, I know, are there any other kind?

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Great and thanks for posting.
    My only criticism is too much okie in a segment about TEXAS:ousucksnana:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Giovanni Jones

You're welcome.
    I would have preferred if they had based the episode on a home game in Austin. The CMP crew shot footage at the 2018 UT/USC game, including the Percussion on the Green that Texas Drums performs about 90 minutes before each home game. I would have really have liked to have seen that, as well as some other pre-grame stuff that the LHB does.
    (In the link below the CMP videographer is the guy in the gray t-shirt and shoulder-mounted camera.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

TCU:

Here's our competition at halftime and on the sidelines. TCU is my 3rd favorite band in the Big XII, behind us and Tech. Their fight song sounds to me like the prototype/standard college fight song. Basic, four hard notes, four hard notes, eight hard notes, repeat, and the "Rah Rah TCU! Rah Rah TCU!". If Hollywood was looking for the typical college fight song, this is it.

It's hard to hate on this stuff (unless they're blowing us out and we have to listen to it over and over and over...)

6. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

That is almost self parody it is so generic.

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. It's pretty much the standard, all around typical college band and fight song.

I like them, and most of their fan base though. I've been to a number of UT at TCU games, and have personally found the TCU fans to be among the friendliest, most welcoming, and least hostile of anyone we play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We did Janis Joplin songs, and the TCU band did Queen songs. Both bands put on a good show. TCU also has one particular twirler that is very good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SeaGail

SeaGail 100+ Posts

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Below is a video of our Band in the TCU game. As mentioned above, we did some Janis Joplin songs. The formation with all the little hearts, starting around 3:00 or 3:10 or so, was great, then the the transition to the Hook em Horns hand sign at 3:23 was even better. Real nice work on the marching choreography there!

A big thanks to Kevin Stanley (I personally don't know him) for recording this and posting it publicly.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  11. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

All I have to say is kill the audio on the jumbotron.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, too many places are following our lead off the cliff by installing exceedingly loud and annoying jumbotrons--usually accompanied by a loud and annoying announcer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Was that a triple D at the beginning?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sure, why not. Maybe (just maybe) a subtle dig at our friends in Ft. Worth, who traditionally are reputed to hate everything Dallas.

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This week's opponent: Iowa State Cyclones.

Here's their pre-game show. The drumline really hits it starting at 2:45 in the below video. Not bad at all. At about 8:40, the cheerleaders and twirlers kick into action. At about 10:12, the flag holders, holding a flag for each of the Big 12 schools march across the field with a guy in a Cardinal suit carrying the ISU flag. This band isn't us, but I'd say they're a bit above average. Good precision at about 11:20 forward when they double time in real tight circles and unwind to take their formation. Some people (besides me) might even say that the cheerleader on the right in the front row is a real deal corn fed Iowa girl. Nothing wrong with that. IMHO, she looks a lot better than the underfed sort you might see on a fashion show runway.

More interesting footage:

And here's ISU's band from 10/6/2019 performing their "Under the Sea" halftime show.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  16. pluckeye

pluckeye 250+ Posts

I am starting to like W Virginia. haha

17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Now that’s some West Virginia mountain mama right there!

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here's the UT Dance Team for 2019-2020. Not precisely "Band and Cheer Stuff", but in the same spirit. (I'm going to have to really work on my dance moves to keep up with these artists/athletes.)

[​IMG]

"During the fall semester, we perform at various on campus events such as Longhorn Halloween, THON fall kick off, Texas Greek Get Down, Steele Dance Company Project Linking the Arts, alumni tailgates, etc. We also host our own winter showcase every December. In the spring semester, we also perform at on campus events and other dance company’s showcases in addition to our competitions. We compete at ADTS competition, NDA Collegiate Nationals in Daytona Beach, Florida, and host our own nationals showcase to perform our competition routines for the public."

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Rose Bowl is showing the bands. Oregon is up now. I don’t want to be negative, but the Oregon band is nothing special...

20. Giovanni Jones

I'm not wild about their unis. I thought the Wisconsin band's show was much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Wisc band did a tribute to our military which is great BUT was weak compared to our Longhorn Band tribute in 2012
    For instance WE had a sub that sunk.and an artillery piece that attacked
    One of the best . Not to take away from Wisc giving our military tribute BUT
    longhornbandtributeto military - Bing video

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Of the 850+ college football games played each season, the Rose Bowl is the only one that broadcasts the bands' performances at halftime (well, a third of it anyway).

And that's why it's the only game I'll make a point of watching no matter who's playing, and the only one I keep watching during halftime.

• Like Like x 2
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Bayou Classic is broadcast on NBC, and the entire halftime is broadcast. In fact viewer numbers go up significantly just before halftime and die after the performances.

24. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

The bands are the reason I watch the parade. It was disappointing to see the Wisconsin band just marching to drums when it was there time to shine on National TV. I liked their salute to the Military. Great job!

25. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Didn't know that! I'm marking it down for next year.
    During a parade, the drumline only will be playing half the time, because no wind player has the endurance to play for an hour or two straight. They need a break every now and then. But if they did drumline only in some sort of feature location, I understand the disappointment.

Eh, give me Santana over "We played something military-related; you're required to like us now."

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

They don't have to play for five miles. The TV cameras are a couple of blocks apart.

27. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Right, and if they knew where the cameras were and didn't make an attempt to have the whole band playing in front of them, that's a shame.

Maybe they were in the middle of a drum cadence that couldn't be abruptly stopped without everyone falling out of step? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt here.
    But if they know there's going to be cameras here and there, and they might need to play at a moment's notice, pick repetitive cadences that can be cut short or looped a few extra times as needed.

28. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

I understand that, but seems like the band director would already have those rest spots in the route and not have them resting when they could be playing before a national audience. I did enjoy the High School band from Tennessee playing March Grandioso.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I associate March Grandioso with us (of course). Tech plays it also. Isn’t it a Souza song?

On edit: March Grandioso was written by composer Roland F Seitz of Pennsylvania. It borrowed from a Hungarian Rhapsody.

30. EMJ426

EMJ426 250+ Posts

I did read where Sousa directed a band in playing the song and commented that it was a March equal to one of his.

• Like Like x 1