So Brady vs Favre

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by texanskan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. texanskan

texanskan 25+ Posts

= greatest qb matchup in super bowl history?

I can think of only two close

Favre vs Elway
    Montana vs Marino

2. Mikeinthebox

Mikeinthebox 100+ Posts

Unitas v Namath my son!!!!

I think if you were going to make a list of the three best QBs of all time, Favre and Brady are in one of those three spots every time.

3. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

I am praying it is Brady vs. Favre in the super bowl....with Brady and the Patriots winning....i love the good "eff you" attitude the patriots play with..plus there offense is a masterpiece to watch.

But I have nothing but the utmost respect for Favre...guy is a true warrior

4. texanskan

texanskan 25+ Posts

By everything I have heard from folks who watched him play Namath was very overrated

5. Not Shinola

Not Shinola 250+ Posts

6. other than the guarantee game, Namath had a mediocre career.

I'm praying it is Brady v. Favre...with Brett coming out on top.

7. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

Trent Dilfer vs. Kerry Collins

8. Mr. Orange

Mr. Orange 100+ Posts

Despite being in the HOF, Namath doesnt belong anywhere in the list of best ever QB's. The guy threw 50 more INT's than TD's and barely had a 50% completion rate.

9. ferrariparty

ferrariparty 250+ Posts

Heres the big QB matchups I can think of:
    Starr vs Dawson SB I
    Griese vs Staubach SB VI
    Griese vs Tarkenton SB VIII
    Bradshaw vs Tarkenton SB IX
    Bradshaw vs Staubach SB X and XIII (Surprised these havent been mentioned yet)
    Stabler vs Tarkenton SB XI
    Plunkett vs Theisman SB XVIII (Dont know about this one but Plunkett is a VERY underrated QB)
    Montana vs Marino SB XIX
    Simms vs Elway SB XXI
    Montana vs Elway SB XIV
    Aikman vs Kelly SB XXVII and XXVIII
    Elway vs Favre SB XXXII
    Brady vs McNabb SB XXXIX
    Roethlisberger vs Hasselbeck SB XL (this one may be pushing it)
    Yes I know a lot of these are good QB vs good QB and not legend vs legend for there time but I would say that the last time two Superstar QBs met was Favre vs Elway. Im surprised that neither Staubach-Bradshaw SB has been mentioned.

10. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

11. BRay2244

BRay2244 500+ Posts

would be a great matchup. I am hoping to see Favre get another ring...and stick it to the Pats, make it 18-1!

12. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

Starr vs. Lamonica. Super Bowl II

13. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

what if? What if Shula had yanked Morrall earlier in the game? Everything about the game I've read indicates a big momentum shift as soon as Unitas came in. I think Unitas only played about a quarter, maybe a quarter and a half.

Almost immediately drove the team for a touchdown. We would have long forgotten about Joe Namath by now had Shula reacted sooner.

14. burlyhorn

burlyhorn 25+ Posts

Dead on about Colt's momentum shifting after Unitas entered the game. Although I greatly admired what Namath and the Jets did, the Colts were continually shooting themselves in the foot.

I saw Namath play once in person and on TV many times. I could see that he had a great arm but I rarely saw the level of greatness that I kept reading about. Just shows how the Super Bowl can elevate how some players' career performances are perceived... in my opinion.

15. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

If Favre wins, I say he goes out Elway style. Quit while on top. Don't pull a Montana or Emmitt. Brady's legacy, in my eyes, was tainted by the Spygate thing.

Someone on Fox Sports mentioned that Brady could still be benefiting from Spygate because coaches haven't changed their signs much over the past 10 years.

16. iiiisofTX

iiiisofTX 25+ Posts

Favre v Brady at this point in their career would be one of the greats...hopefully we get to see that matchup.

Favre=most prolific passer in history, 2 SB appearances, 1 SB ring, only 3 time MVP
    Brady=3 time SB champ, single season passing record

Favre v. Elway was great but Brett was just getting in his prime and already had won the SB. Elway had made 2 or 3 SB appearances but no wins. At time he was only person over 50K passing yards, I think. Good comparison.

Montana vs Marino-Montana in his 2nd SB and counting. Marino was in his rookie(?) year and not as accomplished as he would become (obviously. In retrospect it was a good matchup but not as big at the time, IMO. But I was a youngster when it was played.

17. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

not so fast, my friend!

18. Hookyou

Hookyou < 25 Posts

I cant really make any predictions but it would be nice to see Favre win the sb and take out the patriots which many have tagged as unbeatable.

Is it just me or does this sound eerily similar to a 2005 BCS matchup?

[​IMG]