So I melted a tupperwear top on my stove

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by DLev, Apr 22, 2004.

1. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

By accident of course. It's one of the coil metal stoves. Any ideas on how to get this plastic off the damn thing? I'm thinking maybe just getting some steel wool and going to town.

2. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

just open the windows and burn it off.

3. wannawinit

wannawinit 25+ Posts

save yourself the smell...just go buy a new one!

4. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

Wanawit, it's an apartment I don't own...I'm not really sure how to take the thing apart and put it back together.

5. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

Those coils are replaceable. And they're cheap. Save yourself the effort and just buy a new one.

6. bub

bub 100+ Posts

7. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

Holy crap. So that's how you clean underneath them, they just pop out. Thanks. Any suggestions as to types of stores that have these things: Lowe's/Home Depot or Bed, Bath, and Beyond/Linens and Things?

8. 96 Buff

96 Buff 100+ Posts

Most grocery stores carry them as well as the stores you mentioned. They're not hard to find. If you're really that worried, call a major department store, tell them the make & model of the stove & see if they have the coil(s) you need.

9. Super

Super 500+ Posts

Harrell's Supply and Service Centers (Ace Hardware):
    North Austin: Burnet Rd. just south of Koenig

South Austin: Oltorf just east of S. Lamar t

they've got just about any type you'd need, or can order it for you. Pull the offending burner off your stove (should just unplug) and take it with you. It contains secret markings which can only be deciphered by the crotchety old hardware guys at Harrell's. [​IMG]

10. CelisHorn

CelisHorn 100+ Posts

So the exterminator was coming to my apartment one day and the notice said to clear out all cabinets for spraying. I took the 5000 pieces of tupperware my mom bought me and put them in the oven to keep out of the line of fire. Of course I made a mental note to take them out right when I got home. Mental note erased. One day I preheated the oven. Five minutes later there was black toxic smoke pouring out of my place. I opened the oven and the **** was on fire. My whole oven was coated with plastic. I just didn't use it for a year or so until I got ready to clean. The whole cleaning process took about a month until I was comfortable cooking stuff in there. [​IMG]