So is the TCU game Shaka's swan song??

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Horn87, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

we have all seen this type of game before with him---playing a team that is 5-10 in conference, we are a 7.5-8 pt favorite on the road---yet, these are games that we LOSE (I know from experience, I was at school during the Kaiser Bob years, '83-87)---if the 'Horns lose this game, irregardless of the tourney outcome, is this Shaka's death sentence?? just want your opinion--I, for one, think that is enuff!!

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you can find a "slam dunk", HOF coach at a reasonable price, YES!

Since all of those are dead, and nobody cares enough to pony up the payout, the answer appears to be a resounding "NO".

The legacy of Billie Powers lives on for at least another year.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, and it is stupid as hell to speculate about it before the game has even been played.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Who are you going to replace him with? CdC would have to really perform some magic to get a top name to come to Texas. Beard isn't going to leave Lubbock (a real character flaw) besides he has already spent 4 years in Austin.

Smart is a known quality (and an above-average recruiter), but not worth ponying up the funds only to be replaced by someone with equal talent. Finding young basketball coaches who can recruit and win consistently at the highest levels is hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, you don’t find a Jim Valvano but once every 50 years.

7. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, but that known quality is finishing in the bottom half of the Big 12 2/3rds of the time. Rarely a NCAA tourney entry and NEVER has won an NCAA tourney game. I hope we expect more. I expectto be better than the 4th best team in the state of Texas.

If that is acceptable to you, OK. It is not to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I hope I'm wrong :puke:

9. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

This is how [poorly coached we are. At the end of the season, we cannot execute an in bounds pass to our best FT shooters with the game on the line.

Blown in bounds passes may have cost us two games, TTU first game and OSU 2nd game.

in the last two wins we in bounded by throwing up a 2/3 court contested pass After a TO, and not even to our BEST FT shooters. If that pass is not close to perfect, it is either intercepted or sails out the end line.

Ramey, Coleman and A. Jones are excellent FT shooters. You would think that Ramey and A. Jones would get a short pass on a well designed play AFTER a TO. Coleman is not reliable at the end of a close game.

That is not what we have seen.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

It is not with me, but, unless you can fund the buy-out, the probability is he will ride out his contract. The bank does not have the funds to trade one average coach for another average coach.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Would you say Chris Beard is an average coach? I wouldn’t. I would say the consensus of college basketball aficionados puts him way above average. He would put Texas in the top 3 of the big 12 and keep us there.
    His teams are fundamentally sound, don’t turn it over, don’t panic and know how to pass to get the open shot. He also happens to be a UT alum.

Two people who do not want him at UT are Bill Self and Scott Drew.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The biggest problem is that the third person not wanting him at Texas is Chris Beard

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Maybe. But with the right offer on the table things may change. Admittedly, it’s a long shot.
    Imagine if he had taken over this team a year ago. The Horns would be a juggernaut going into the post season.

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

UT basketball is different from UT football in many ways. For one thing, pecking order. A coach could win the national championship at UT in basketball, and be hired away to a bigger program. That would never happen in football. Also, there isn’t the 100,000 season ticket multiplier and the $100,000,000 donation multiplier in play. Shaka may actually still get better as a coach (as might Tom Herman). With less money on the line, and less of a program to offer up in basketball to potential replacements, the logic of waiting is different than it was for football. I do think we can replace Shaka with someone a little better, and will, but it won’t be because he loses to TCU; it will be a losing season or the immediate availability of a great replacement.
    I guess I am just repeating what others have already posted.

15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You're probably right, but I've seen what our donor purses are willing to pay for the right outcomes. I think it would come down to if that coach simply wants to coach at a specific school over Texas because it won't be about the coin. And I'm specifically talking about a National Championship winning coach at Texas.

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Is this game on tv
    I see it is on espn+
    I dont get it.:confused2:

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Which National Championship winning coach will listen to Texas other than to force more coin from their current school? Beard isn't in that category.

Football sucked all if the excess cash out of the bank. Smart will go away when his contract is fulfilled. The money saved will go to the new coach.

18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Is the game not televised?

19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

If I read you right, you meant my example of winning a championship actually here at UT. So we win, kind of like Florida did. Would that coach go to KU, UK, Duke, or whatever if offered, or even the NBA? I’m just speculating; I have no idea. I just doubt that such a person would settle in here for 20 years, continuing to win until we were in the same breath with North Carolina.
    Anyway, I’m just saying there are more reasons to wait to see whether we are moving up in basketball compared to football, where even if we have a bit inflated viewpoint of ourselves, we certainly are a blue blood program, and it is a realistic possibility to score the next Saban or Swinney who might stay here and be at the top for 20 years.

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

LHN, if you are one of the six people who gets that network.

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It's not on LHN. It's on the third tier ESPN+ aka Big XII Network. We're not the home team, so we don't have the third tier rights for it. TCU does.

Sloppy half. The only things giving us the lead are Sims and TCU's turnovers. The guards have got to pull it together. We won't go far in either the conference or NCAA tournament without some more consistency.

22. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

No it's not.
    Big 12 Now on ESPN+.
    Another way to suck money out of us.

23. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

This will probably be the most naïve post ever on hornfans. My hope is that ESPN+ works and sports networks get removed from cable so I can pay less money for what I want to watch by only buying the sports channels and not have to pay for all the other Kardashian/Oprha BS that I never watch.

24. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I don't know why everyone is aiming so low. Obviously Mike Krzyewski should be our next coach. BTW this horrible guard play and coaching have us blowing out TCU at the moment, but this is not worth writing about in our self pity crowd.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It's one ******* game! The University of Texas has paid top dollar for three years of these kind of games, and has been lucky to get one or two of these a year.

Under coached, no discipline, poor game planning, poor to no in game management. At $250,000 a year, some could be tolerated. For $5 million a year, the Horns should be Great Eight every year, but help refresh my memory, how many times has Billie Powers choice gotten us to the Great Eight? Final Four? Sweet Sixteen?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good win.
    Didn’t get to see the game, but the Horns obviously played well!
    Congratulations, and on to the B12 tournament!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

“How about that NIT championship?” - from beyond the grave.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

While I'm not a fan of Shaka's contract, getting to the Elite Eight every year is something that teams just don't do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Great win and great close out to the regular season by Shaka and the Horns. Congrats!
    :yippee::bevo:

On to the conference tourney which should be a real dog fight. So much so, I almost expect to see Michael Vick attend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

True, but how many of those teams are dropping $5+ million on the HC?