So I've got this mule deer ham...

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Longhorn_Fan68, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

... but have no ideas on how to cook and what to season it with. Suggestions?

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

If you don't know how to muscle it out (which will give you backstrap size chunks for grilling), cut it into strips and go to Academy and get their High Mountain (something like that) Jerky kit and make jerky. I've never seen anyone who has cooked a whole venison ham that didn't taste like ****. I'm sure someone will chime in and profess that they can do it, but I'll never be convinced until I can taste it myself.

3. Longhorn_Fan68

Well, that's not encouraging. Anyone else?

4. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

Hell, I used to cut those into cubes and make a mi-tee fine venison carne guisada.

Of course, nobody has invited me on a hunt where I've been able to put meat in the freezer in quite some time, so no guisada for me lately.

5. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

You could always cut it up like rounds steak and chicken fry it. I would tenderize the hell out of it first though.

6. Longhorn_Fan68

With the fork method or with actual meat tenderizer?

7. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I'd use the hammer thing and pound it out.

I don't know if you can get someone to show you how to "muscle out" the meat, but I've had really good results with the muscled out pieces. I don't know how to do it, but I'm told it isn't difficult.

8. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

muledeerdick