So now knives kill

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by AustinBat, Apr 9, 2014.

1. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Well, luckily not kill but wound. This time. If knives are outlawed, how will I eat steaks, chicken, pork, etc.? This could get really ugly.

2. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

better be prepared to have background checks done on knife purchases

3. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

I guess you're trying to be funny. But how many would be dead if that kid had guns instead?

4. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

5. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

chango, how many would have been stabbed if the security guards and/or licensed and trained teaching staff had concealed handguns?
    Not trying to be insensitive or inflammatory, but, do you think that any outspoken anti-gun advocates were disappointed to hear that the attack was carried out by a knife instead of a gun? They've spent so much time trying to convince us all that if we limit/remove guns from society, that we'll all be safe from harm.

6. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

gun nuts are nuts

I really should not be surprised

mass stabbing = zero dead

mass shooting = 26 dead

you guys are bizarre

7. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

people afraid of guns are so bizarre.

8. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

And I'm not a gun nut.
    I just believe that stricter gun laws are only followed by law-abiding citizens. Criminals will never follow the rules. That's why they're criminals.

9. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

I own several guns. I was taught to shoot and gun safety by my father and a former Marine drill instructor at a very young age. I also hunt and go shooting so I know perfectly well what they can and cannot do.

I continue to find it bizarre that anyone would use this incident as a reason for there to be even more guns even though I am trying hard to get over being shocked at how completely divorced from reality gun nuts truly are.

If you guys even recognized how friggin nuts you are, this would be a start.

10. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Why do you always switch from debate and go straight back to lambasting and playground name calling?

Bye

11. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I still own the first gun I was given by a cousin in the marines---his old .22. I also own several 16 and 20 gauge shotguns, a 30-06 and a K98 Mauser manufactured in 1936 and which I shoot open sight.

I am not afraid of guns and love roaming around in the woods making loud noises.

Most guns you see at gun shows have no useful purpose and the same is true of handguns generally. They make nice gifts for burglars, I guess.

We live in a gun culture in this state that is indulged in by a minority of us. Most Texans do not own guns. Most rural Texans do. And need to have some kind of firearm. But not Aks, etc. or handguns.

We live in an interest group democracy and a concerted effort by a group can accomplish all kinds of mischief. Take a look at the food stamp travesty as an example. The gun lobby is berserk and has thousands of people making money off the insane penchant for idiot firearms.

I am a member of NRA and the bs they spill out constantly is insane but it caters to the manufacturers and sales people who make money off arming everybody.

It will not stop because interest group politics works.

If you kid gets shot, well, that is just tough

12. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Crazy kills. Plain and simple but no one wants to do anything about that. Schools are now forced to have the kids that should be in a special ed or state home in the class with the normal kids. If they throw a huge fit then they will take them out for a short time before putting them right back in the class, but the day in and day out disruption of learning to all the other kids is allowed. Then finally these kids that should have been quarantined get so frustrated they lash out.

13. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

14. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I am well aware of my comment, paso. I was simply mirroring your first impulse of insulting and mocking. Did you not comprehend that?

15. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

What I "got" was that you can dish it out, but you cannot take it.

Sort of adds to the irony when you are afraid ...

[​IMG]

It really should not be difficult to concede that it is much harder to commit mass murder with a knife than a gun. It certainly is not impossible (see Rwanda) just more difficult.

16. FridayNiteLites

FridayNiteLites 500+ Posts

The Link
    Anything you can do, I can do better...
    It doesn't matter if there was one or twenty-one. It's still a tragedy, and it is not the weapon, it is the person behind it. Stop calling people names because they don't believe the same as you.

17. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I can't take what? I'd rather reply in debate than play internet tough guy against you, if that's what you're saying. I'm not collecting skins for my e-wall, though. So, kudos, I guess.

Similarly, afraid? Afraid of what? You having a different opinion than me? Afraid of you mocking a small hypothesis I tossed into the thread? Afraid of you? Nope.

I don't see where I tried to make a point that it's harder to commit mass murder with a gun than with a knife. You added a straw man in here where it is purely out of order. I agree, a gun can wield more damage than a knife. Back on topic, since a knife was the instrument of choice, I was only hypothesizing how a concealed handgun could have mitigated the number of victims in the attack. Then, you tacked with an ad hominem, followed up with a straw man comment.

Think how you'd like. I'm not afraid of you.

18. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

19. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

20. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

dalhorn1, the person who named called on this thread was you

the "afraid" comment was uncalled for (and inane)

you apparently want to name call, but cannot stand the heat in the kitchen

too bad since you probably look pretty cute in a skirt

[​IMG]

21. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Hold up. It was you who threw the first name jab, "gun nuts are nuts", and "you guys are bizarre", in reply to all posts before yours. This would define you as the name-caller.

Yes, the "afraid" flinging was uncalled for and had no place in the discussion. Again, lining up with the name-calling you started.

Again, "but cannot stand the heat in the kitchen"? More unprevoked ad hominem poo flinging from your end.

"too bad since you probably look pretty cute in a skirt". Yup, I'm the insulting, name-caller here.

Where does this petulant comment place in your rehashing of name calling? You have offered more personal attacks and snark than substance, and I've detailed it for you.

However, if you'd like to continue with personal attacks, by all means PM them to me, and let the other posters with comments on topic continue on.

22. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

You really are full of yourself.

This is the West Mall. You expect rational discussion?

The entire premise of the thread is offensive.

23. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

Nope, not full of myself. But I do appreciate the broad-stroked paintbrush you have.

Heck no, I don't expect rational discussion on West Mall. I do prefer discussion, though, to your repeated insults and innuendo. Hu fan had a solid comment on this thread, and did a good job expressing some of my sentiment on the topic. You seemed to prefer style over substance. To each his own.

If the entire premise of the thread is so offensive, then just don't click on it and reply with insults ad nauseam. I think a number of threads on this site are offensive, and I simply scroll down to interact in the ones I find less offensive.

[​IMG]

24. pasotex

pasotex 2,500+ Posts

You go girl.

The reality is that a mass knife assault resulted in zero deaths. A mass gun assault resulted in 26 deaths.

And yet whack job gun nuts (such as yourself) attempt to either rationalize this as some reason for there to be more guns in schools or joke about the need to restrict knives. I am still contemplating which one is more offensive.

And then you try to be pretend internet tough guy.

[​IMG]

25. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

You got me! Good one, Sally.

The reality is that a mass knife assault resulted in zero deaths. A mass gun assault resulted in 26 deaths. You're correct. I never said otherwise, and I don't know why you don't seem to understand that

I'm no gun nut job (1 for in-home protection and 1 for elk/deer hunting). I don't belong to the NRA, either. I wasn't joking about the knife attack. And I wasn't demanding more guns- just posing a question. If is known you'd get your grade school panties in such a wad over someone's opinions not lining up with your liberal dystopia, I would've just echoed your side and laughed you off sooner.

But, your lame attempts with emasculating jokes are hilarious. Keep 'me coming, Susan!

26. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

You can get worried about your knives when 30,000 Americans per year are killed by knives. Oh wait, even then, you won't have to worry.

27. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think it's fine to compare methods of murder/violence in these mentally unstable situations. As long as the gun rights supporters admit that events like Columbine and Newtown are just naturally bound to happen because of the way our society was shaped, and because of fear of the government, and it's too late to do anything about it. Maybe we can just call it "unacceptable losses... but meh?" or something like that.

If you're not going to concede that, then bringing up knives to counter the other side's arguments is just stupid.

28. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Is CNN and FOX or MSNBC blowing up over knife attacks in schools? Is Piers Morgan doing a weekly tirade against knives? Oh yeah, hes off the air.

Where is the uproar for the safety of our kids over knives? Guns are scarier, and the media exploits that, even though there are hundreds of millions of guns in this country, and it is very very rare for someone to go shoot up a school. And when they do, they are usually blasted out of their minds on perscription drugs. Why dont we do something about that instead of attacking the guns, that need a psycho in order to be used?

So, we arent really afraid of guns, but rather psycho sick people. Guess what, getting rid of guns wont get rid of psycho sick people. Lets start with reducing the number of sickos out there. They will find a way to attack and/or kill people.

29. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

30. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The people who use guns to kill kids in schools or anywhere else for that matter, get them one way or another. The war on drugs has been so successful that every other person you meet in Austin has pot. And cocain isnt hard to find if you want it. Its pretty easy actually. And drugs are banned, illegal, period.

We have gun background checks, and that hasnt stopped anyone. We can have even more gun background checks. Fine. Its not going to stop anything. Nancy Pelosi and friends have been the staunchest gun banning advocates. The backlash isnt against people who just want to make sure that people that buy guns are sane, its against those that want to get them all.

And, as long as people can be put on drugs that alter their minds, legally at that, then **** is going to happen, whether guns are registered or not.