So proud of myself.

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Son of a Son, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

Made my first gumbo this evening, chicken and sausage to be exact. Made the roux from scratch and it turned out just fine. Even the guests really liked it. [​IMG]

2. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

That is something to be proud of. In my opinion, roux makes or breaks a gumbo, and when you master the roux you can make an impressive gumbo.

3. smoke

smoke 100+ Posts

The roux is by far the most difficult part. The timing between perfectly cooked roux and burned roux can be very short. Fortunately, nowadays, you can generally buy the pre-made roux's and they are for the most part very good. Good for you - gumbo is always a bit of an experiment - just make sure you capture the good changes that come from each batch. I would also recommend getting some good andouille if you have the means.

4. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

Use the Alton Brown "baking" method for the roux.
    And I second getting the more expensive Andouille

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I second using the Alton Brown method of 'baking' a roux.

6. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

7. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

8. georgecostanza

9. South Austin

10. georgecostanza

11. South Austin

12. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke 500+ Posts

It's an interesting dichotomy to me, that after offering my hospitality to someone, I might later need to ask their "forgiveness".

13. georgecostanza

If that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. It doesn't bother me if we disagree.

14. Son of a Son

Lol, for the record these "guests" are always guinea pigs and they love it. They're damn near family. One time I did f up something, but we ordered chinese, not pizza! [​IMG]

Also, on the Andouille, I bought it fresh from the new cajun meat market "Stuff'd" by my house. It was VERY good.

15. Son of a Son

Oh, and for seasoning I used a seasoning called "Slap Ya Mama", about 6-8 chopped cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper. I also bought a deboned chicked (whole) but added some young hen thighs too because I agree the "oiliness" is an awesome addition to anything they're in.