So....What happens after we lose to Iowa State?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Oct 12, 2016.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

At home? ISU has a receiver who has gone over 100 yards twice this year and a pretty good running back that gashed us last year.
    If ISU comes out and starts torching DBU, which now stands for Deep Ball U, and this team finds itself on the short end of another shootout, I don't think CS survives, no matter what the powers that be have said about firing him in the middle of the season.
    IMHO, this is a definite must win game in terms of our season and Charlie's career at Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yes it does, good one.

Yes, and one cannot completely rule out the possibility of firing mid-season if CS loses this game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

We will win. I hope.

If we win, Fenves will probably delay his announcement that Texas football is dead and his plan to "change the world" by converting DKR into a Quidditch stadium and pronouncing Texas will lead the nation by forming a Quidditch team of the first class.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yes it is. and I will add to it, every game is a must win for Strong from here on out. He has to have minimum of 5 wins out of these next 7 games for him to even have a glimmer of hope to get a 4th season. I don't think it will happen. A loss to ISU will most likely crater any hope he has to keep his job.

5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Gilbert will get blamed for only scoring 50.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

^ This. If we lost 69-66, and both teams scored every single time they had the ball, Gilbert would be blamed for settling for a field goal one drive and not scoring 70.

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

We've just got to get better.

• Like Like x 5
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

If you are referring to me and the thread I started about Gilbert, well, I didn't blame him for the ou loss. But, for those of you who continue to say we scored 40 and should have won, it wasn't enough. We had opportunities to score more. Yes, the defense sucks. I have said it over and over. Is the standard for our offense to score 40 and that's it?

And, if we scored 50 or 60 plus and that included taking advantage of turnovers, I would find it hard to complain about the offense.

Some of you can continue to be in love with Gilbert. The offense has surely improved. But, it has improved as much as Charlie going 9-4 or 10-3 would be an improvement over Mack's last season. Many still wouldn't say that was GOOD ENOUGH, however. I think Gilbert is doing a great job overall, the point is he and the offense didn't do enough last Saturday when it mattered.

Glad so many of you think scoring 40 is good enough. Many days it is, last Saturday it wasn't.

Edit: By, "...those of you...", I didn't necessarily mean YOU, Longhorn Catholic. I don't recall your stance on the offense's culpability in the ou loss. :beertoast:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  9. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I was kind of kidding. Several were displeased with Gilbert. Wasn't pointing anyone out, we just disagree :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

My only gripe with Gilbert is he does not run the ball enough against bad run def teams (I'm looking at you, Cal) to keep the ball away from their offense, which we clearly cannot stop.

• Like Like x 4
  11. horninchicago

Like I said, the offense is better, but even the Texas homer experts on LHN question our lack of passing over the middle and a few questionable calls and personnel decisions.

It is improved. If he can get some of his own recruits, who knows, could be special to watch if given some time to develop his offense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The defense forced several turnovers against OU. The results weren't stellar, but honestly better than before. If the Longhorns play as hard against Iowa State, we'll hammer them ... which is pretty much what we expect around here.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is the offense improved from last year? May be the stupidest question ever asked.

Is Gilbert in charge of personnel selection during the game or are the position coaches making those decisions? Either way, there was huge room for improvement in that area last Saturday.

Play calling? I'd give Gilbert a 75 at best. Yes it is better than last year, but so would be a grade of 50.

The ******** about "wait til he gets his own recruits" is just that - ********! He is working with more talent right now than he has ever had in his career. They are not "coached up" or we would not have three man routes with two receivers within four feet of each other. If they can't make their reads or don't know the playbook, PUT THEIR STUPID *** ON THE BENCH!

The fact that The University of Texas is worried about losing to Iowa State, much less has accomplished that feat, speaks volumes to the depths to which the program has fallen; and, yes, that includes when they had HCs named Majors & Sherrill.

The results of a game against Iowa State should have no bearing on the future of any coach at Texas. If it does, it is passed time for a change.

• Like Like x 4
  14. horninchicago

Like I said, to me, the improvement in the offense so far is like "improving" from 8-5 to 9-4.

15. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Some recruits are trying to blackmail us into keeping Strong....LOL
    Seriously ? Kids probably wouldn't sign with us anyway after the season we are having.
    We lose this ISU game ,and they may change their tune to..... fire him or Texas is off my list.....LOL

16. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

:D This is not getting enough love :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

the Spanish philosopher Miguel de Unamuno, when asked his religion, replied that this was the wrong question. Can we not say the same thing about the second guessing and blame game thinking that abounds on the board at this time?

The offense is to blame because.....
    The defense is to blame because.......
    The coaches, all or some, are to blame because.....

Is it not possible that we on this board are to blame because someone must be blamed and well, why not us?

The season is a disappointment so far and may continue that way and by Zeus we are going to point some fingers, as surely as the ragged hurly burly man in Shubert's immortal lieder.

So look at yourselves before pointing the blame at others for a disappointing season. Blame Obama or W or Miley Cyrus or her miserable POS father or blame Benteen an Reno.

Or look to the stoic philosophers and accept that sometimes things don't work out and need to be suffered silently and with submission. Like Jesus did. And like Jesus, forgive those who you might blame.

Or just get snooty, condescending and sarcastic, which usually works for me when I get tired of listening to people whine about matters which are, in the larger scheme, trifles.

• Like Like x 1
  18. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

ok, maybe I overdid it on the sarcastic condescension but our football laments seem overdone at a time when Haiti is in ruins, Yemen all but destroyed as a society, the Russians are on the march, Syria is being destroyed from five different angles, there is yet more torment among the Kardashians and the American film industry, once the phalanx of American pride and social relevance, is reduced to making zhit like Hangover 9, Star Trek 32, Iron Man Never Rusts and lots of animated zhit for children.

Will we never learn to set our priorities?

• Like Like x 1
  19. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Clearly the offense can improve. However, please admit that the offense has significantly improved compared to every offense we have fielded since Colt graduated. More importantly, the offense is now improving. The previous 2 years, the offense was declining. So if the trend continues, we should have an excellent offense in Gilbert's 3rd year, unless he is canned with Charlie.
    Should we give Gilbert 3 years to get it right so he can recruit his own? Funny that Gilbert is doing well with Mack's and Strong's recruits.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I for one can multitask,Pay attention to the myriad of problems around the world
    AND lament whine and ***** about the problems with the Horns.
    It is not an either or choice.

• Like Like x 2
  21. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

You think having a Freshman starting QB, a beat-up OL with mostly underclassmen, beat-up RBs because of a beat-up OL, a star WR who can't catch a ball, and a back up QB who is only capable of running the ball, might have an effect on play calling? Greg Davis let Sophmore Chris Simms throw over the middle. He gave a great imitation of Matt Schaub by throwing pick-sixes all over the place. I think Gilbert has done well to be a little conservative with the passing game.

I agree that being scared of ISU is a sign that change is overdue. It is. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Hire a DC ASAP. While you are at it, Hire a HC ASAP.

22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Texas Football = #1 Priority :hookem: :texasflag: :hookem:

23. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

If we lose this game you will see the locker room begin to crumble. Especially if we lose a 35-30 affair where the offense doesn't capitalize on all ISU miscues. Fingers will be pointed and not the pinky and index towards the ceiling.....One DB already threw a jab at the offense after the OU game....Seriously ????.....Just wait for it.

24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If we lose to ISU (which I highly doubt) and then win five of our last six (which I also highly doubt) and avoid any defensive embarrassments (I'm 50/50 on that one), there will be enormous pressure to keep Strong. My Mendoza line has always been 8-4 but I'm afraid that 7-5 may buy CS another year, depending upon how we get to that number.

25. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

As my great uncle Dan Rosannadanna used to say: "You know, there's always somethin'."

• Like Like x 3
  26. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

If that happens expect mediocre for years to come with a slight chance of playing for a conference title once in a while...not winning...but maybe playing for one every few years or so.....We will be Mizzou or something like that. Charlie, if he can get any talented players after this year, will do juuuust enough to hang on...God forbid Texas should fire a black head coach with an above .500 record. We are already getting hammered for wanting him gone with a sub .500 record.

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

What conference? The Southland?

• Like Like x 1
  28. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

This week is about Strong holding on to his job until end of season. A loss to 1-5 ISU at home and he's toast by Monday. No umpteenth chance for redemption, it's over.

Even a lopsided win against 1-5 ISU at home proves absolutely nothing. Their only win is against San Jose St. for crying out loud.

Throw in a second straight win (non-blowout) at unranked KSU and it still proves little. So what he can get past middle to bottom dwellers. That used to be the Texas standard, not an accomplishment.

Even at 4-3 if Baylor walks in and hammers our pass defense for massive yards and a solid victory, Strong at 4-4 will be right back in the post-OU suckhouse.

Home wins over a down, multi-loss ND team, a crappy UTEP team, and 1-5 ISU. Plus a road win over mediocre KSU. Yaaayyyy! Those teams have a 7-16 combined record. :puke:

Then we'd have a bad loss to no-defense Cal, and defensive bashing losses to 3 of the 4 top Big 12 teams.

So how would that be any improvement and advance towards respectability at 4-4?

Wow, such a great turnaround in a make or break year. :rolleyes1: That's same thing he's been doing here since he took over.

At best after 4-4, we'll beat TTU, WVU, and KU and lose to a good conf team again vs. TCU. So three seasons later we still can't compete in the conf standings with the four best teams.

As long as he didn't win the bowl to go 8-5, he should still be toast. We would have no legitimate wins over good 2016 programs and a bowl loss to end at 7-6.

I'm sorry but unless Strong goes on a serious run and beats quality programs like BU and TCU...he failed again and needs to be shown the door.

However this defense is far too bad to end the reg season 7-5. KSU, TTU, or West Va. will join losses to BU and TCU and add a 3rd loss to our 3 now.

At 6-6 even a bowl win and 7-6 can't save this amateur hour of a coaching job.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  29. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

No one will see it. It's on the LHN. We are good. #Sarcasm. Not a fan of the LHN. #NotSarcasm

• Like Like x 1
  30. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm not worried in the slightest.

If we do somehow happen to lose, I agree, Charlie's done for.