So what's in store at QB?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by jayakris, Jan 9, 2015.

1. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

There is all kinds of chatter at the recruiting sites about what we are doing at the QB spot. Nobody seems to be sure, but "big huge humongous earth-shattering surprise coming" is also making the rounds.

As we all know, we have Zach Gentry wrapped up and Matthew Merrick as a grey shirt (basically a 2016 commit unless we have a schol left in the end). I assume if no other QB commits, we would probably give that schol to Merrick and get him also to campus ASAP. It does seem like Watson wants a minimum of 4 QBs (at least one more over Swoopes, Heard and Gentry) to be competing in summer this year. Of course he would rather have Merrick be delayed to 2016, and get one more 4-star-or-better QB commit to join on a schol now.

Currently the most likely QB to be in the 2015 recruiting class itself with a schol is 4-star Kai Locksley (6-3, 185, national top-175). Dual-threat but a great athlete who can move to WR later (though Kai wants none of it at this point. He did play WR at the all-star game "but it was no big deal", he says).

There have been rumors for ever that Kyler Murray will flip to us from aggy, and most of it seems to have been because of his dad Kevin Murray liking Watson and not liking Sumlin's general approach at aggy. I don't believe it. Kyler has shown every kind of anti-UT impression all along, and has been heavily recruiting for aggy for so long. Unless it is some cruel troll job on aggy, I don't think he is coming here. Frankly, I wouldn't even want a guy to flip to us after that kind of cruel trolling anyway. But this rumor was stronger 3 weeks ago, though none of us reported it here because it wasn't that believable. The rumor was that he would shake earth and come to UT if we would create a spot for his close buddy WR Christian Kirk (top-50 from AZ), and that even near 5-star WR Demarkus Lodge was in on this huge plan. Throw in a rumor that Wyatt will be hired at UT, and that Kevn Murray will be given some UT job, and there were people trying to believe the rumor. Pure bull-crap, but the rumor never seems to go away!

But there is more. There were comments by Jason Higdon, a FoxSports/scout.com reporter who is a longtime UFlorida beat guy who later covered some UL stuff and now a lot of Texas stuff too, that fuels some fire and he has continued to do that. He is probably the only recruiting guy now who has some source somewhere close to Charlie Strong, apparently from old times. He had been insisting that there is some serious fireworks coming at the QB spot, though he has always said it in puzzles that have made people run around looking for what he was hinting. Btw, Jason had all along called the Malik situation rather correctly, despite the aggy recruiting guys' propaganda on how big a lean Malik was to aggy, that even many Texas recruiting gurus was buying into. I think he also called rather firmly that last week change of mind in Wheeler (from OU to us). So, most recruitaholics feel that Higdon does have solid sources.

From what I understand, Higdon had said just around the Christmas time that something big *might happen* soon, but it didn't. He continues to say that something big will happen (swears by it, actually) saying "everybody on the planet will know when it happens". Now, what it was, is anybody's guess. So, initially everybody thought it was about Kyler Murray. Now, two weeks later, the poor denizens of the world drunk on recruiting, are unsure. I don't believe Higdon ever said it was Kyler, but he hasn't said it wasn't him either.

Meanwhile, Blake Monroe, who used to be with horn247 till some months ago, posted some quizzical stuff about a Grad Transfer QB happening (like Max Wittek last year, someone who is graduating in 3.5 years and walks on as a Grad student, not counting in the recruiting class, but playing in 2015). He said it quizzically as "a guy who Watson had recruited, was a highly recruited rivals 4-star who always liked Texas, who is a backup at a top-25 program, and is graduating". He too claimed this to be a "program changer" QB. Only about three or four names (like Braxton Miller, Tyler O'Conner of MichSt, and of all people Connor Brewer whom Watson had recruited for Nebraska in 2010) comes even close to fitting the bill and only Braxton Miller is a program changer.

Now the recruitaholics were again on the run, trying to reconcile between Blake Montroe's stuff and what Jason Higson has been swearing will happen. Was Jason talking about a grad transfer? I am not sure if he ever clarified that. BUT, if it was Miller, it makes sense why Higdon was sure it was going to happen by end of year, not expecting OhState to still be pllaying! Anyway, Higdon apparently again hinted that this is going to happen, but may have hinted that it is NOT Braxton Miller. Some guys are claiming Ohio State sources (very doubtful) who even say Braxton Miller has sent in his transfer papers already and will be at Texas next week as soon as OSU's game is done. Again, I think this is far-fetched rumors and nothing else.

So, at this point we don't know what these people are all talking about [​IMG]

But it seems clear from all kinds of sources that our staff is really looking all over to find somebody to come in and start in 2015, rather than hoping that one from among Swoopes, Heard, Gentry and maybe Merrick/Locksley will be ready for a serious run. After all, only one guy from among the 4 has even played a down in college, and he looks so damnn iffy now. With the Juco talent being very poor this year, the reports that our staff is looking all over for a Grad Transfer makes sense.

My best guess is that Locksley or Merrick will come in as a true freshman with Gentry, but we will get a Grad transfer of some sort, whether it is an earth-shattering Braxton Miller, a semi-astounding Kevin Hogan (Stanford), an amusing case of Connor Brewer, or somebody else with simply only a decent pulse as a QB. The competition for 2015 will be basically Swoopes, Heard and the Grad transfer. Then, in 2016, unless the grad transfer has 2 years to play, assuming Swoopes may be playing another spot like Chiles, the competition will be Heard, Gentry, Merrick and maybe Locksley (hopefully with the Heard era starting with a bang).

2. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Have been following some of this past 48 hours on hornsports.com where I used to spend some time year or so ago.

Keep wondering what happened to possibility of Georgetown QB (JUCO) Jake Hubenak who transferred from OkState to Blinn.

At 6'3" 195 lb, he's a thick-built kid, reminds me of Andrew Luck.

I believe Cam Newton was plucked similarly from Blinn. Worked out pretty well. Whatever has happened I have missed it.

Not sure why this has not been an option to consider. LINK - scout.com report, Oct 22, 2014

3. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Jake Hubenak did get an offer last month. From San Diego state. I am just not sure what the deal is. I believe his arm strength is not top notch, but who the hell cares? If you have accuracy (at least 60% passing) and TD/INT ratio not less than 2.5 to 1, then you should get a look.... My read is that colleges were not believing that he was going to finish enough credits to graduate by December frm Blinn and so they weren't hurrying in the middle of the HS recruiting season. Maybe. I have not seen a report that he actually graduated and left for SDSU either. I think Wickline would know him well too, as he was a walk-on at first at OkSt before going to Blinn. i would guess that once we finish the HS recruiting and look into guys who can immediately come in as spring Grad transfers, we will look at those who will be there by summer like more Grad transfers and perhaps Jake Hubenak too. But if he is already on his way to SDSU, then all bets are off. I assume he will wait for a better place before hurrying over to SDSU and will be available later too.

4. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Hu, not sure why no schools are looking at Hubenak. Those numbers are incredible. Not only that but when a player gets a chip on his think who ever our QB will be will produce more than Swoopes. Not only because they are a better QB but they will also have better help. Our OL will be improved from day one. We now have a very good TE that will be our QB;s best friend. And most of all this QB will have wheels that are much better than what we had. That player is Heard. He will make things happen that many times is a sack of swoopes. I think Heard is a gameday player. He will do his workouts in practice but when it's game day he's not the same player. I believe this was him at Denton Guyer as they won championship.

As far as Kyler Murray goes, I believe there is zero chance he pics us. Besides even if he did come he would be competing for future playing tim against Gentry and I believe Gentry is the man. But Gentry won't get his turn until Heard leaves or that I'm wrong about Heard as the starter.

5. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

6. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

9. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

10. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

Could it Be O'Korn transferring from UH?

11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Isn't it funny how grown men (and woman) are reduced to acting like wide-eyed children on Christmas morning when it comes to discussions/speculation about recruits? (Hey, I'm not complaining. I love it.)

Because more often than not it is the case, I am assuming that Jay is onto something here.

In attempting to solve the riddle, if indeed we are talking about a "game changer" at the QB position, the choices are very few. And the one player who would have a rock solid reason to not declare his intentions -- until next Tuesday -- would be Braxton Miller.

We shall see.

12. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Two offensive position coaches were fired after one season. Despite abysmal QB and OL play that same year, the masses are rumbling for a change at OC and head coach CS has been under some visible pressure to produce, after watching his offense fall apart at the end of the season. He is the first black coach at UT and he has run off a bunch of talent, which I happily support, but some do not and blame that for the 2014 debacle.

Freshman QBs are freshman QBs. Texas has had some great QBs in the last 15 years, and none of them were too good there true freshman years, and most not great their RS freshman year either. Expecting Gentry, Merrick, Locksley, Murray, or even Heard for that matter, to step in and produce to the kind of results the fan base, BMDs, administration and especially coaches want is unfair and unreasonable an expectation. Especially with next years OL, which should be improved, but not expected to be NC caliber either. A young, inexperienced QB who is forced to make quick decisions every play does not usually turn out well (see Ty Swoopes.2014).

As well, even if one was a miracle boy and was great, what happens to the season if and when they get hurt. 2014, part 2.

The coaches gambled on Ash and passed on finding and bringing in an experienced, proven QB last year. They paid dearly. Dearly!

I don't think they will make the same mistake twice. Watson probably won't survive another year like this one, or at least 2 more position coaches. And year 2 disappointment won't go as easy as this year.

Living with what they have and the incoming freshman is a huge risk to the program, to CS' future and the momentum of the rebuild. One bad yer can be explained away. Two gets a lot harder and 2016 recruiting is already proving to be more disappointing than anyone anticipated at ths juncture.

And with a Defense similar to this year, an improved OL, growth of the young WRs and a solid QB who can read defenses and make quick decisions, this team could/might fight for the conference title next year if things fell right and with just a little luck.

The conclusion is that they WILL bring in an upper class an QB. They have to. They would be crucified if they didn't and 2015 falls apart. The real question is when, and of course,who.

I read that a JUCO counts against the 25 limit, but a grad transfer does not. I cannot confirm this, but with the current recruiting boon, they may elect to wait until after the spring semester to bring in their QB. Personally, I think solid QB play next year is more important than another freshman recruit who may or may contribute next year or even the year after that, but tat is just me. The time to learn the system in spring ball seems important, but maybe they could still be acceptable with just the summer.

But they will bring in someone more proven before August. It's Russian roulette if they don't.

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

First off, if O'Korn comes to Texas, it will be to QB the SAE intramural team. Otherwise he will wind up at a place like Howard Payne or Milsaps.

If Kyler Murray doesn't go to A&M, he's likely headed to Eugene. He and his dad will be at JerryWorld.

Miller could "fall" to Texas after Oregon & FSU say no. If Murray goes to Oregon, then Miller could look at A&M.

By the time Gentry sees meaningful playing time, I can only hope, we have a real OC, even if alums have to buy Watson a job.

14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If we can find someone reasonably proficient and experienced at the position, it will represent the desperately needed to bridge to 2016. I would like to think that by 2016 we will have a bullpen of options at the position, an OL hitting on all cylinders, and a "Department of Infliction" asserting its will.

With the right player like a Miller and a few others, we could actually be in the conversation next year, at least in the Big 12.

15. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Agree on everything Orangeclad, except about the coaches passing on an experienced QB last year. They didn't, and they tried their best to get one. Remember that they had a grad transfer all wrapped up (Max Wittek from USC, the best available last year) but the guy didn't pass the courses to graduate, so could only be a transfer who bad to sit out a year. It is just amazing how Charlie could not buy a break from anywhere the whole year (till Dec 17th in the Malik-Sumlin phone call)...

Actually if I am not mistaken, Witten can do a grad transfer this year from Hawaii. Not sure why nobody talks about that.

16. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

17. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I guess because we got burned by the Swoopes lack of production this year there is very little if any sunshine pumping for Heard. In spite of the success in the past few years of red shirt freshmen there seems to be a lack of confidence that Heard will lead us to the promised land.

Jerrod Heard has done about everything he can do to improve his skills and fundamentals. He attended the elite 11 camp and received instruction by Trent Dilfer. After graduation he went to California to receive instruction from George Whitfield. Other notable students of Whitfield include: Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Johnny Football.

Jerrod enrolled early last year and has been working in the system and with receivers that one would expect to see on the filed next season. His talent in high school made him one of the most desirable recruits in the nation. This young man has done everything one can imagine to make him the best he can be.

I think with a much improved offensive line, solid defense and talented receivers we have the potential to do extremely well next year.

I agree we need another qb to push the group forward and get those competitive juices flowing. Swoopes might not be the dependable backup that would be critical for success.

I personally think that Heard will exceed expectations. Hopefully the coaching staff will put in a system that will take full advantage of his capabilities.

18. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I do expect better results next year from the QB spot next year but im going to temper my expectations that Heard is going to exceed expectations, i don't think our team or our offense really needs any one outstanding at this point to help the team improve on its win loss column, i think all the qb would have had to do even this year was reduce lost yardage (from sacks), make better zone reads, see the field slightly better while completing just a few more % passes.

So my expectations is that Heard will at least learn soon after the season starts to throw the ball away and to make better zone reads at least, the rest he isn't going to learn till he gets into the fire next year and he sees it live which means the notre dame game is going to be rough for him as well as possibly the first few games but i do expect to see him improve each game.
    Thats just me.
    There is a reason Heard didn't start this year.

19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

20. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I recollect reading that Strong promised Heard's parents that he would be red shirted this year.

My thinking is that as backup he has had a lot of reps against our defense this year. He will have reps in the spring and in the fall. Hope this will prepare him for Notre Dame. What a game to start a career.

It would not surprise me that any reports of his progress have been intentionally muted. Just hoping. I have been a horn fan since the 50's and hope to see at least a couple of championships in the near future.

21. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

olehornfan - i think we will and we all want the same thing. [​IMG]

22. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

23. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

^^ Not just one TE. There is also the juco guy from last year who sat out a year. Blake Whitely (6-5, 250) from Arizona. He is supposed to have very good hands too.

24. OrangeClad

OrangeClad 250+ Posts

Jay, you are correct about their pursuit of Wittek. I admit that I am a little transparent with my disappointment that they put all their eggs in that one basket and then did little afterward to bring in a Juco, D-2 or grad transfer in the summer months. Options were surely more limited, but there are hundreds of schools out there with QBs and many would jump at a chance for a full ride to play QB at The University, so I think they could have found one out there somewhere. He might not have been Wittek, but a good chance to have been better than what they ended up with. They took a chance on Ash and lost. That's why I don't think they will gamble again.

To the Heard believers, it all sounds great and I hope you are correct. They don't need to anoint anyone now and they will let Heard compete. But, they will have him competing against a proven entity transfer because they cannot afford to not bring one in case Heard doesn't pan out.

Next year's team can take a little step forward over 2014 or a big step, and a lot of the difference has to do with QB production. Swoopes will be better next year, too along with the OL so we might assume 2015 will be better even as-is, but they won't be satisfied planning for that and will bring in someone who can take them further in 2015.

25. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It's unfair and unnecessary I think to refer to Swoopes as a “head case” — I don’t even know what that means.

For whatever reason he just didn’t pan out to be a successful QB at this level. A better o-line might have made his year better, we’ll never know. I suspect the young man did his best in a difficult role that he wasn’t really prepared for.

27. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I35,

There is a huge difference in a mental lapse and a "head case". For a definition of "head case" see Joe Don Looney, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Rhett Bomar among others. Tyrone Swoopes has not caused us any problems that have required "special assistance" or embarrassment. A failure on the field does not always equate to "head case"/

29. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I think 35 just has a different definition than most of us have of the term "head case".

30. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts