So what's in store at QB?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by jayakris, Jan 9, 2015.

1. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

As times go on, I am getting concerned. And Locksley keeps retweeting all the Seminole fans messages, whatever it means.

2 hours ago he tweeted this - "Coach Sanders is A1 #NoleNation"

Now I don't know. Shoot, if we miss out on Locks also, we again have hardly any depth at the QB spot the next couple of years. Come on Locks. Thank, man!

2. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

But for whatever it's worth, they say there was a positive report from Jason Higdon this evening that Charlie's visit went very well, as he heard from "both sides". Let us wait and see. We badly need this guy to come to Austin. I hope all his friends in Austin are begging him to come [​IMG]

3. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Jay, so is Kai another recruit that we're going to have to wait and see who he chooses on NSD?

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I love the smell of recruiting in the morning.

5. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

7. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

The Link

I love the smell of recruiting in the morning, especially; when it smells like victory. Someday this recruiting season is going to end.

The Link

Charlie doesn't surf because he is too busy recruiting!

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Everytime I think I'm gonna wake up back in Austin.

I watched a recruit rumor crawl along the edge of the internet. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Tweeting, Instagraming, along the edge of a rumor... and committing.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Dallas News has an analysis of the QB situation by Chuck Carlton this morning - Link (could be behind a pay wall)

Nothing but the obvious situation at QB (still one hit away on Heard and back to no QB). However Carlton goes off on an tangent trying to say the lack of proven offensive players at the skill positions and not featuring a spread offense is the cause of the QB issues. Hard to argue to much as until Heard and the spread offense perform at ND no one will know how that all is going to work.

10. Broken Spoke

Broken Spoke 100+ Posts

Chuckie is the one who needs to find another destination, like back to Detroit where he can shovel snow every day instead of shoveling **** our way. [​IMG]

11. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Meanwhile, Kai Locksley has retweeted some things Longhorn fans tweeted at him, and balanced all the FSU retweets last night. A very interesting tweet at him was from Malik this morning, with just a smiley. Locks replied thus -The Link
    @Official_MalikJ: - <smirklng face>
    @LOCKSnLOADED_3 ”you a tripp broski
    " <face with tears of joy>

What does that mean? Nobody knows [​IMG]

12. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Now this is interesting. A 247sports CB prediction came in just now for Kai Locksley to Texas from Pete Volk. he actually is part of the SB Nation site for U.Maryland. I don;t see why he would do a crystal ball prediction out of the blue to Texas, unless he heard something. Positive for now, until we see the next negative [​IMG]

13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

14. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

....then spill the beans. [​IMG]

15. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Locksley just tweeted - https://twitter.com/LOCKSnLOADED_3/status/561935123101540352
    Kai Locksley @LOCKSnLOADED_3
    Anyone who needs information about signing day contact @GilmanFootball & @SD_Hank
    I will be announcing at 11am on #NSD

Wait.. Huh? So he is officially decommitted now? If he has to "announce" something on NSD when he is committed to FSU, that means he is not committed to FSU, right?

Add one more name to the NSD watch list. How would we get though the next 2 days, knowing nothing about so many guys?

But then again, it just has to be good news that he hasn't confirmed that he is going to FSU. My guess (just a guess) is that Charlie knows he is coming, and asked him to announce on NSD, to create news and counterbalance any bad press just in case no more than one from among Lodge/Soso/Mack come through. FSU and Jimbo wouldn't care (and would not have asked him to wait till NSD) but we can use some good press on NSD.

16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Over on Shaggy they had a suggestion that UT is looking at William Collins from Lawton OK. I watched some of his "highlight" films. You should too if you ever believed Tyrone Swoops taking snaps for the horns is the worst possible scenario for next year.

17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

18. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

May be you are right. Probably Charlie didn't ask him to. I just didn't know much of a reason why Locksley wanted to do it on NSD, when there is no ESPN announcement or anything (as far as I know), that's all... My guess is still on at least a 65% chance for him to come to us though.

19. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

It is possible that Lockley wants to wait until late morning NSD to announce so that he can see where the chips fall. Does FSU keep all of their QB commits? Does Murray stay at A&M? Does Texas pick up any other QB commits? Then he can make as informed a decision as possible. Maybe the same with Warren at RB. Where does Jamabo go? Or Brossette? Just saying, they may not all be publicity/drama hounds.

20. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good point old hippie. There could be "method in the madness" of some of the players' decisions to delay announcements till NSD. [​IMG]

21. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

The seminole247 guys report that their #1 QB pick Deondrei Francois did talk to the FSU staff a couple of times this weekend and has reaffirmed to them that he is signing with FSU and not flipping to Florida. That is good news, because FSU will not try hard to prevent Locksley flipping, and it only makes Locks' decision a bit easier. The FSU reporters have all but given up on Kai, though apparently without any direct info or source. Just that they have not heard from FSU sources about him telling them that he is going there. But Kai is supposed to make a final decision and tell the coaches only tonight or tomorrow as his dad has been busy all weekend with UMd's weekend OVs and all that.

Anyway, no bad news coming from FSU for us to worry about Kai deciding not to flip.

22. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

If we only add one or two committments tomorrow, will Merrick get upgraded from a grayshirt and enroll this summer? I thought it obvious that he would, but someone posted somewhere that the extra year for development is imporant for him and he'd still want to arrive on campus in Jan 2016.

23. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

I believe one recruiting reporter said today that he talked to Merrick yesterday, and it seems like he is set on taking a grey-shirt for the time being, even if there are schol spots. My read on it is that he's probably not worried too much about a scholarship, as he is a pretty rich kid. Picking up a scholarship basically ties him in to Texas. Maybe he himself wants to delay that to keep his options open, till things like which (if any) Grad transfer comes in, how ouor QBs look in the spring game, etc. No big hurry on his part, anyway.

24. BevoBeef

BevoBeef 250+ Posts

^^^ Jay,
    I have wondered what happens when walk-ons who want to change schools are forced by the
    NCAA rules. In the case of Wittek, he walked onto Univ. of Hawaii field last fall and played
    as their scout QB. I do not know his graduation status since he was not able to finish his degree
    at USC last spring. Hypothetically speaking, does anyone know if he could enroll at another school
    and walk on if he graduated from Hawaii and transferred his walk-on status? He now has satisfied
    his one year wait period -- but to what school -- the one he walks on or the one he could walk on next?

25. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

I believe a student who graduates from a school can transfer anywhere and play immediately in the next year (as long as he has eligibility within the "5 years in school to play 4 years" rule). The Wittek's case was that he was supposed to graduate so he could play immediately, but couldn't graduate by the May deadline. So he had to transfer to Hawaii and sit out a year. Now, he can play for a year at Hawaii. If he transferred enough units from USC and can graduate in 2 semesters at Hawaii by this coming may, I believe he can join grad school elsewhere and play immediately for a year too. But I suspect that it is not easy to graduate in 1 year at a school, even if you transferred 3 years worth of units from another school, so he may not look around much and may just play at Hawaii.

Connor Brewer's case is different, in that he transferred early enough (1.5 year worth of units, mostly breadth courses etc from Texas). So he might have needed only 2 years to finish 2.5 years of units and graduate from Arizona, adding the transferred units from Texas (still, I am impressed that he is able to do that!).