So who are we losing?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by giveemhell, Jun 20, 2022.

1. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

With the extra Covid year of eligibility, it's hard to figure out who exactly is leaving and who might be staying. Do we have any definitive word on the players who are leaving?

2. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

good question, we’ve discussed it some on the cws thread I think. I think we r going to lose every starter on the team. Faltine could come back, he needs to work on his hitting, his defense is already mlb caliber but I don’t think he comes back.
    I thought we would get Witt back but I read somewhere that he is projected to be a first rounder so crap we may not get any of our original starting pitching back (stevens, hansen or Witt).

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Lose every starter on the team?

Campbell
    Daly
    Kennedy
    Hodo

probably not.
    I hope we lose even fewer.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

This article, posted by FWHORN on the Year in Review thread, answered a lot of my questions. Coaches got a lotta work to do in the offseason...

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That’s a good article and I agree with a lot of it.

Top incoming arms to watch: Porchas, Grubbs, Cox, Coffey.
    Develop these arms: Stewart, LBJ, Southard, more

Starters: Gordon, Harrison?, Southard?, Morehouse, Porchas? DuPlantier?

I wish we’d try Harrison out as a starter.

Grubbs may bring us a good “first guy out of the bullpen”—I like the article’s comparison of Grubbs to Harrison.

Porchas may be good enough to start, or at least contribute a lot, early. . According to some, he’s the #1 arm out of California high schools. And not just based on future MLB projections—based on what he can do here and now.

I also agree that Ace Whitehead will be a star (maybe another Murph at the plate), and that Campbell is an emerging star. Our backup catcher, Schusler, is no Ardoin behind the plate, but he has a very good bat. Some of these incoming power-hitting outfielders sure do sound good. Put them together with Campbell (who can get his batting avg up to around 0.300)*, and our outfield will be bashing our way to victories with lots of homeruns.

This year’s ridiculous offensive production will be hard to match. Still, we could end up with one of the top two offenses in the league.

*note, Campbell’s high Homerun numbers are even more impressive when you consider he only started a little over half the games…. Dude may hit 20+ homers next year!

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Something else—

we were a lot better at home than on the road this year. A LOT better. Gotta learn to win the tough road games.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Need to hit transfer portal hard...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Campbell's swing reminds me of Billy Hatcher's (for those of you old enough to remember him). While Hatcher's career high was 11 HR's, he had an awfully quick bat and hit some no-doubters.

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Oh yeah! And he also just looked shorter than he actually was. Coiled up power plus some speed.

10. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Sounds like we losin errrbody.... :brickwall:

11. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Out of the starting fielders. I’m only expecting Daly and campbell back. Hodo and Kennedy are a 50/50 crapshoot. If they do come back than obviously it will help out offensively. I think Faltine and ardoin should come back but defensively they are already mlb caliber.
    We have tons of offensive production to try to replace, it ain’t happening by any stretch of the imagination but I think our pitching might be stronger than I realized so we may be pretty competitive either way, might have to lead the nation in sac bunts again.

Defensively, we should be very solid with very little drop off except maybe behind the plate and at ss. Behind the plate worries me the most. I’m not at all concerned about any other position on the field. (Pitching I’ve omitted because it’s an obvious concern)

we aren’t going to know for sure till after the draft July 19th and classes start with guys in their seats on campus.

just my two cents.

• Funny Funny x 1