Social Media, Women's March, and Mass Movements

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Musburger1, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

really?

Dang! I coulda had someone else providing my razors? I'm a sucker!

2. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Last night, I got blocked on FaceBook by a retired USAF Lt Col "marcher" of my age/class (didn't know her, mutual friend) ... she complained about her oppression by a "bunch of men" so she'd dyed her hair pink to liberate her self expression.

I'd asked if she was aware one of the coordinators of this event (in DC at least) was a muslim who sought to institute shariah law here in the States.

I thought it was an honest-enough question. I did say that islam and our Constitution are not compatible ... but that the genius of our system is that people can believe what they want as long as it doesn't violate the rights/freedoms of another ... clearly that's precisely what shariah does ... and how does a "womens' rights march" reconcile supporting a system which enslaves and actually owns women???

I learned ... if you don't want to be blocked, don't ask those kinds of questions.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's a meme
    A funny one
    And the expressed sentiment is not fake

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

If the expressed sentiment was not fake, why the need to forge a picture?

6. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

There are some jurisdictions where tampons are, in fact, taxed while other 'daily need' items for males are not. It is not about providing them via insurance nor are there, to my knowledge, any 'feminist groups' advancing such a claim (although I will not rule out some fringe tumblrkin doing so). The reality IS that some items (ie. pads or tampons) are a MUST HAVE for most females of a certain age range and will be needed for a substantial portion of the life.

7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

So you're talking about sales tax? Interesting - not being someone who buys a bunch of razors, I'd never heard or noticed that they were tax-free. If there are in fact daily items that aren't being taxed in that regard, then I'm all for that.

I'm curious how that determination is made. But if you're saying that certain jurisdictions are making that call, then shouldn't that discussion be at the local level? I'm not a big fan of the Feds dictating to local authorities what they can or cannot tax, assuming there's no constitutional issue. Frankly, if women want something to be tax free in their area, they've got a really good chance to make that happen on a local level, if that's where the issue resides.

Any tax experts want to weigh in? I'm working and/or too lazy to look this up. :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  9. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

The women I know also buy razors, so they also receive all of the huge benefits that have suddenly been associated with razor purchases.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Yeah since when do women buy tampons and not razors? Oh, wait, I just remembered the kinds of women we are dealing with here. Yuck.

11. ProdigalHorn

My girlfriend pointed out to me last night "well one issue is that women's razors are more expensive then men's, even though they're the same razor. Maybe I should just start buying men's razors."

Boom. Problem solved. See how the free market fixes issues like that?

• Like Like x 5
  12. Phil Elliott

It costs extra to make them pink.

13. ProdigalHorn

Yes, and to paste those plastic flower dealies on them.

14. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

But they're not pink and cute like the women razors?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Phil Elliott

• Like Like x 3
  16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

WTF? A Dallas teacher posted a vid on her Instagram showing her in front of class shooting a water pistol at a screen with Trump being inaugurated. She was shooting at Trump shouting Die. No mention of this is today's DMN that I could find

People on the left need serious help. Not all but even leftists have to recognize there are waaaay too many of them doing stuff like this.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Kirk out should have ordered the phaser fire at the 30" mark ... 4+ minutes was cruel and unusual.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump turns ABCs argument against itself

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

what's aggravating is that he repeats his statement 15 times ... just rephrases the same sentence. Ain't got air time for that, dude!

But ... that's Trump. A constant marketing pitch. Trump out democrated the democrats and they don't like it not one little bit.

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The question was both clever and fair. If the anti-abortion rally has as many demonstrators. Or more. Or nearly as many. Then why do the networks/cable news not give it equal treatment? How about anything remotely close to equal coverage?

This has been going on a long time. I used to live there. They show up in force every year. They crowd the Mall for this weekend and clog the place up (with moms and lots of children, tons of children). But the networks and cable ignore them. Always have. As if they were invisible.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

OH ... I don't object to the media being spun ... I don't even really object anymore to the style of address. I've come to expect it. It's very predictable.

I AM disappointed Trump didn't say something like that sketch of his inauguration "... best of my ability; which is excellent ability, by the way, everyone agrees so there's no problem with my ability ..."

;)

Still, when he talks, you think you're going to get 3 points ... you get 1 and repeated 3 different ways.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We were warned

[​IMG]

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. Seattle Husker

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

26. Seattle Husker

Not by Winston Churchill, apparently.

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I guess we have an excuse then

• Like Like x 1
  28. Seattle Husker

Nope. Just pointing out the pattern of misinformation dissemination. My work here is done for the day.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You do care alot about the accuracy contained in memes
    No one can deny you this

• Like Like x 2
  30. Seattle Husker

Made up quotes attributed to key historical figures to emphasize a viewpoint is propaganda, isn't it? Is memes the new euphemism for propaganda? If so, we may have found something we agree on.

• Like Like x 1