Softball 2018

Discussion in 'Softball' started by racerx5908, Jun 2, 2018.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Creating a constant thread for all interesting softball news this year.

2. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'll kick it off with this interesting tweet from CDC

3. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Any timeline......or rumors on new coach?

4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

A guess that nothing will be done until the Women's and Men's World Series are concluded. CDC is busy dealing with people complaining about parking lines for the regionals.

5. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I saw somewhere that the assistant coach for Texas was strongly being considered. Can’t remember his name.

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I had high hopes for him when Connie brought him in, but the last two seasons have been disappointing from a hitting perspective.
    Tripp MacKay
    https://texassports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1418&path=softball

7. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Of course he's a bit sore losing, especially as the #2 seed. I hope there is fire somewhere in that smoke.

8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Rumblings or maybe how rumors start:

9. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Racer-What’s your interpretation of Kirk’s Tweets? FSU?

10. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was guessing FL coach. But as I've asked in various ways, other than a lot, and I mean a lot of money why would he leave? Unless, he thinks that going from a 12 team league to a 7 league team would make his chances of a championship easier? But then, he gets to face Patty every year. Ack.

• Like Like x 1
  11. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

He signed a 10 year extension with Florida.

12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Doesn't mean anything. The key would be the buy-out (if any).

13. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Um it definitely means something. And it definitely means he will NOT be the next coach at Texas.

14. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I forgot or didn't know about the 10 year extension. That's a definite "I'm happy where I am" statement. Look East, no further, no even further they said....

15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Any coach's contract is only as good as the buy-out. Just the way it is.

16. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Sure it might mean Walton isn’t at Florida until 2028. But it DOES mean he’s at Florida next year and hence not the next Longhorn softball coach. Like, I don’t get why that’s a contentious statement.

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not meant to be continuous, but it doesn't mean he will be at Florida next season. If his buy-in isn't overly ridiculous someone like Texas could come in doubling his pay plus paying the buy-out. I would think CdC would be looking ACC way however as the completion risk is lower than for someone from the $EC.

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It appears the candy truck is arriving today!

:yippee::coolnana::lmao:

:hookem2:

19. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

??? Que ???

20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Looking online, I see the roster list for softball has been updated. It's got an odd label of "Preliminary Fall Softball Roster". I guess this may account for transfers out, if some players and the new coaching staff don't quite gel. Changes since last year:
    Graduated:
    Paige von Sprecken (sniff)
    Erica Wright (sniff)
    Randel Leahy
    Kristin Clark
    Incoming:
    Janna Roberts (???)
    Mckenzie Parker (???)
    Jaden Hoelker (last minute Connie offer - https://extrainningsoftball.com/recruiting-jaden-hoelker-commits-texas-shows-seniors-still-shot/)
    Shealyn O'Leary (long time commit pitching star Connie snagged years ago)
    Macy Smith (Seminole State Juco)

Other than O'Leary, don't know anything about these players. Don't know if some were last minute Mike White invites....don't know if they're leftover from Connie's "recruiting". Obviously, if they're on the online roster, they've enrolled in school. But, no pictures and no biographies, so still pretty green.

21. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Interesting (and nice) that all of those newcomers are on campus. Seems more likely that they were CCs work. But, maybe the timing (2nd summer session) means that MW was able to snag a few extra bodies.

I agree that the title of this roster is odd. Wonder what other changes are in store.

Parker was an originally signed athlete.
    https://texassports.com/news/2017/11/8/softball-inks-two-players-to-its-2018-19-signing-class.aspx

This article says that Shea wasn't coming until August 21. (That doesn't mean it's accurate, but...)
    https://www.dailynews.com/2018/06/15/shipman-oleary-headline-2018-daily-news-softball-all-area-team/

Noticed on the Oregon roster, all six of their signed freshmen are on the roster (https://goducks.com/roster.aspx?path=softball&roster=256), which means none of the last OU White/Simpson recruits are coming. Interesting though, one of them is Jasmine Sievers. Chaz Sievers played for the Longhorns during Cat's days and is now an editor at FloSoftball.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  22. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

23. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

With the coaching staff filled out, anyone have a feeling about how the team will do this year and in future recruiting? I don't want to be one of those people who go negative right out of the gate. But, I look at the assistants and wonder if they've got any ties to Texas softball clubs. White himself said he had to get quickly acquainted with the clubs for recruiting. And they get kids to commit by the time they're sophmores!

• Like Like x 1
  24. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

The fact that most softball stars commit when they're sophomores gives White and his staff at least a benchmark. That's already agreeing to a longterm payoff for recruiting. I'd imagine that he's putting himself on track for that this summer while also trying to identify players (even future transfers) that can fill the gaps. For that, he's going to California most likely.

25. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

His hole to work out of, but any coach who can put a non-California PAC-12 team into PAC-12 contention knows a little about the game. JUCO's, transfers or changed commitments are all on the table. However, I do agree any immediate help probably will come from Southern California (the mileage difference between LA and Eugene or Austin is only about 500 miles and the difference between San Diego and Eugene and Austin is only 325 miles). That puts most of Southern California squarely in his sights.

26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Future player, out of Denver. I looked at her club team - where they posted the schools the team are going to. One gal headed to LSU, all others headed to small schools or JC. She was one of 3 without a listed school, until now.

27. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

So Elicia Espinosa will be joining the team this year. Max prep lists her position as 1B/3B. Very unusual for a top recruit to commit this late in the process. Softball Showcase lists her position as 1B 2B 3B SS U and her Strength as Power hitting. First recruit signed by the new Coaching staff. Looks to be somewhat of a reach but you have to start somewhere! Good Luck Elicia and welcome to Longhorn Nation!!
    :bevo::coolnana::bevo::coolnana:

28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

So, some general questions for anyone willing to answer:
    1) I didn't realize she would be coming THIS year. So, does she displace one of the 3 previous recruits that were/are coming in this year?
    2) Looks like she's a power hitter. Some blurb I read somewhere where she hit 2 grand slams in the same game.
    3) Does this imply someone already on the team departing?

Looking at the roster, which still has the strange title "2018 Preliminary Fall Softball Roster"

We see newbies (without their pictures since they're so new) listed:
    Janna Roberts
    McKenzie Parker
    Jaden Hoelker
    Shealyn O'Leary
    Macy Smith (Juco)
    and.....Elicia Espinosa (not listed yet)?

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Racer with a new staff I would not read to much into the "Preliminary Fall" Roster. If they would have left that off and published the spring roster that had nothing in common with the fall roster everyone would be yelling about transparency.

30. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Bekah Alcozer getting some work in! I don't think this is on the Texas campus. Wondering when the team will report to campus. Doesn't school start next week??