Some Questions Regarding A&M vs UT and Realignment

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Mr. Irrelevant, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I have serious doubts that that thread's originator was really a UT fan. The way he imploded suggests he was aggy attempting to troll.

2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The title of the thread is actually incorrect. It should have been:

Some Questions A&M's Walking Away from UT Rivalry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr. Irrelevant

Mr. Irrelevant 25+ Posts

Umm... no. A&M didn't walk away from the rivalry. A&M changed conferences. Many schools play their rivals outside of conference play. For some reason, DeLoss Dodds felt that A&M staying in the Big 12 was so important that he refused to entertain playing A&M. Why was he so butthurt about it? He didn't seem to care about Nebraska and Colorado leaving.

4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Umm...yes.
    Aggy left the conference and walked away from the game.
    We have schedules set over 5 years in advance.
    Texas was supposed to reschedule and shuffle games around to accommodate aggy's departure?
    You left.
    We don't miss you.
    Adios.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Ill finish that for you Moondog....

Adios Mother F***er

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Rick Perry?

7. Sangre Naranjada

Amen to that. Bunch of cult freak ********.

8. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

Academic and athletic records speak for themselves. UT is so vastly superior to aggy it's comical which is why we love to laugh at you. I challenge aggy to list all the top ten graduate programs and historical athletic programs just for fun. Just look them up aggy. If aggy is almost as good, just as good, or better than UT, please prove it. Just because every aggy says they are doesn't make it true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mr. Irrelevant

Mr. Irrelevant 25+ Posts

Indeed you don't... but your coach sure does. Here's his titty-baby quote about how poor little Texas doesn't get to play a rival at home:

“The University of Texas, we don’t play a rival at home,” Herman said. “In my perfect world … in my perfect world you would play one big time Power 5 opponent, which to me, there’s a very logical one an hour and a half east of us, and you would play two non-Power 5 opponents.”

Herman went on to make his case further.

“Again, and I’m very comfortable with you guys, never mind the millions that listen, but Clemson and South Carolina find a way to play every year,” Herman said. “Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-Florida State, Iowa-Iowa State, I mean, the list goes on and on and on of in-state rivals that are in different conferences that find a way to play. They play week two, every year, don’t disrupt the conference schedule.”

And that’s how Herman would like to see Texas A&M join Texas’ schedule on an annual basis.

10. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

He's also relatively "young" in this rivalry talk---but as one who grew up whipping (for the majority of my years) the ags since my grandfather graduated in 1931, I have no use of playing your school again regularly---again, you took your ball to play someone else---so enjoy your time getting pelted by those others in your "new" play ground and quit wishing that someone who you once "knew" would recognize you again to "play" with you....

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sangre Naranjada

The Eagle

Here is aggy prez Young's "titty baby comments". Young had similar sentiment during the same interview, saying, "Absolutely," noting the school has been in favor of facing off against Texas since A&M left the Big 12 Conference to join the Southeastern Conference.

By the way, the aggy comments following the linked article are a gold mine of titty baby-ness.

And more than 88% of your student body are a bunch of titty babies too, so you can go f**k yourself, gomer pyle.

The Texas A&M student body is in overwhelming favor of bringing the game back. Over 88 percent of voting A&M students favor renewing the rivalry. Students, of course, don’t have to worry about the logistics of balancing conference and non-conference schedules.

12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Wow!
    Someone's really losing their composure.
    Why are you here?
    Why are you so needy?
    Go play with your new friends.

13. Sangre Naranjada

What new friends? Nobody in the SEC likes aggy, just as nobody in the Big XII liked them.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Such language, I'm blushing....

15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Why is it that no one is willing to admit that TX/OU was just as heated and hated when they wre NOT in our conference? During SWC/B8 days, that game was huge. And we liked it. We LOVED it. Let's just not spin things.

If we're ticked at aTm for leaving, ok. If we want to see them struggle for jumping ship, ok.

We're the two biggest schools in a Top 3 state. We've already been playing a rivalry game every year from a different conference.

We've got to have fact-based reasons for not playing.

16. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Sports fanaticism is hugely derived from emotional rather than fact-based, logical reasoning --- see: aggy.

Related allegiances and actions are also based mostly on emotion, not bottom-line calculations. For example, T. Boone Pickens already a billionaire in his late years has given millions, perhaps $100 million or more to oSu to upgrade Cowboys facilities, arguably not based upon some ROI calculation.

Ditto Red McCombs and Joe Jamail, after billionaire status have given hundreds of millions to UT Austin not because of some ROI calculation, but upon an ego-fulfilling emotional drive. Not criticizing any of these three benefactors, but pointing out that logic and facts can pale in comparison to emotion with regard to allegiances such as sports can lead to.

On the other side of this, many fans develop their fanaticism based upon emotions, not logic or rationality. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is. Can't calculate a fans behavior.

17. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Play the game. That is all.

18. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Separate from all the historical arguments of rivals, bragging rights, tradition and marketing an important consideration is OOC schedule strategy.

In the B12 with a 9 game conference schedule Texas has 3 OOC slots to fill preferrably 1 or 2 non home and home slots to allow 6 home games at DKR. Some conferences schedule 4 OOC slots and 8 regular season games.

What seems to be the preference is an early cupcake, a step up to medium P5 opponent and end with a premiere primetime opponent suitable for national TV audience.

This sets the stage to get established in the season and work up to national exposure before the regular season begins. Many successful teams follow the formula.

In the past decade the primetime opponent has been a mostly home and home deal:
    CU, UCLA, UCLA, Ole Miss, Ole Miss, UCLA, ND, ND, USC, USC

In the coming season plus future decade the games under contract are:
    LSU, LSU, ARK, ALA, ALA, Mich, tOSU, tOSU, Mich, GA, GA.

Again the home and home deal benefits both teams with a national exposure and home field income.

I see very little benefit in playing a late Nov OOC game against TA&M at the expense of removing a game from the early OOC part of the schedule.

The OOC scheduling strategy should be a path national primetime exposure while maintaining a 6 game home field advantage for fan/revenue purposes.

A late Nov game vs TAMU doesn't fit in a 9 game conference regular season.

• Like Like x 3
  19. LonghornDave

I understand your very rational strategy BUT I think the end of the year rivalry weekend between SEC and ACC teams is pretty damn good and benefits both conferences. In general no more than a few of those teams have NC expectations in any given year so it probably helps revenues because of the obvious rivalries and history.

20. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Both the SEC and ACC have 8 conference game regular season schedules and 4 OOC schedules.

Eliminating a home game at DKR every other year to accommodate a late Nov TAMU game just doesn't make sense revenue wise or season ticket wise to me.

If the SEC and ACC played 9 conference games it might not make sense to them either.

21. LonghornDave

Get rid of Baylor. Win win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mr. Irrelevant

Mr. Irrelevant 25+ Posts

He's called Titty Baby Tom for a reason, ya know...

[​IMG]

• poop poop x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

aggy reasoning at its finest.

24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You're called nut huggin gomers for a reason, ya know.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

26. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

THIS ^

Beginning in 1994 when I started attending UT football games, I have seen UT and A&M play in person in football 12 times. I have seen UT go 6-3 against A&M in Austin and 3-0 in College Station for a total record of 9-3. Like UT, I have a winning record at Kyle Field.

As I stated in a long thread about the history of the two teams, the game is not very good. There are no special traditions centered around it on UT's end like with the state fair with OU. It is just another game. We all have limited life spans, and with UT playing a 9 game conference schedule, I would like to see UT schedule NEW teams for the three non-conference games.

Alternatively I would like to see UT schedule BIG games for the three non-conference games. As I already established by A&M's football history (or rather the lack of it), UT-A&M is RARELY a big game. A&M has not finished in the top 4 since WW2 and only finished in the top 5 twice since WW2. They are not a big game. They are a second tier, a** rivalry game that's been played over and over. It has been played out. Let's keep playing exciting games like LSU, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia. Even South Florida is more exciting for me. Previous year's games like Notre Dame and USC are also better.

I get there is more desire on A&M's part to renew the rivalry as they only play 8 conference games and some conference home games in any conference (vanderbilt in the SEC, bad SEC east teams, Mississippi schools when they are down, etc) tend to be butt. They then play one good home-and-home non-conference game, but usually have 3 HORRIBLE non-conference games. If I had to endure three non-conference homes games of Texas State, Lamar and UTSA every year, I would be crying to play UT/A&M too for a better game. I am sorry that A&M's home schedule sucks. However, UT's schedule has been much better without A&M and needs to stay that way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  27. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Predictably, it was only a matter of time before you went full aggy on us, well done. Talking football smack to daddy on his front yard. How many high fives and hearty whoops did you get from your fellow gomers standing on the sidewalk?

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I saw Texas play aggy at pyle field in 1959, and either listened to, went to or watched all of them since then. I was 11 years old in 1959, and from that time on the only reason I knew they were a rival was people told me they were our rival.

Seriously, we beat the crap out of them consistently until Jackie Sherrill opened the Fed-Ex account.

29. LonghornDave

To me it is not a rival thing it is a Thanksgiving thing. I guess I understand the vitriol between the views but the game made Thanksgiving better as did Nebraska Ou on Friday. More better, all I am saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Of all the arguments against playing aTm, this is the best.

I think Texas football seasons are better when we play ousux in October and aggy in November.

But we can only play so many power5 teams. For sure, I'd rather play USC and aTM, than USC and Maryland. So if we're going to play 2 power5 teams OOC, I'd like to play aTm.

Separately, maybe we just don't do it T+1 anymore. That's on the ags for leaving.