Some random thoughts on rewatch

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ProdigalHorn, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Caden Sterns is serious business. He's not going to be here four years. He may not be here three years.
    Texas DBs are going to get a lot of picks this year. Their weakness seems to be tracking deep balls - a couple of examples of long passes that were completed when the defender was right there to make the play, and just mistimed it. But their strength is playing deep coverage and ranging side to side - those safeties cover a LOT of ground quickly.
    Three deep balls in the first half should have gone for TDs with a better throw from Elingher, but two of them should have also been caught for big gains if not scores. Heard and Duverney both had to wait on passes and the defense caught up, but in both cases, the defender never touched the ball and they got both hands on it. Got to start catching those.
    I had no idea that the crazy jock in Revenge of the Nerds was young enough to play college football, but the guy plays like he acts, which is why he got tossed for targeting.
    O-line is much improved, but there was still a lot of pressure from USC when they rushed five and six guys. Ehlinger seemed like he made solid decisions on when to tuck and run, and stood in a few times to make solid throws under pressure.
    Please stop with the short field rollouts to the left. I don't know if Sam is checking into those or they're getting called, but thy really don't work well.
    I like how Trey Watson is running, but he still misses a lot of cutback opportunities. We need to figure out how to get him outside more - would love to see us throw to him in the flat more often.
    I don't know what point in his life that Cameron Dicker decided to become a kicker. but clearly the name imbued him with super powers. And btw... USC seriously caved in our line on his kick at the end of the half - that was a little too close for comfort on rewatch!
    Loved how when Sterns blocked the kick, the whole team IMMEDIATELY went into return mode. Davante Davis blew up two guys (well one of them was the kicker, but still). At least on the FG block unit, the guys know how to convert mistakes into points.

• Like Like x 9
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yeah, that was fun to finally see the other side have a blocked kick.

Too bad for their kicker on that play though. Torn ACL getting lit up during the chaos.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Great post. I thought the same exact thing on the block, immediately went into score mode. Heads up by Sterns to know once he didn’t get the bounce, he didn’t impede following teammates for the scoop and score. Very excited about our young DB’s. Just think how much better our receivers are going to get practicing against them.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Funny thing is I sim'ed the game this past week, and we won the game due to Sterns blocking a would-be game-winning FG.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 6
  6. LonghornCatholic

I feel I owe them the respect, ya know, since I stood 'em up.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

:deadhorse:
    U didn’t? :idk:

• Like Like x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Heard there was a rumor that they wanted to cancel the concert when they heard you weren't going to be there.

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

And I wish the Show Band of the Southwest would have welcomed SC with "Tusk".

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Until we win consistently, I feel like LHC should travel with Air Supply. We might be on to something.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Run rho raggy. LC has been put in the pit of misery! Noooooo

• Like Like x 3
  12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I think the whole LonghornCatholic / Air Supply conversation would go something like a commercial I once saw.
    Austin_Bill: Longhorn Catholic, you seriously like Air Supply?
    Longhorn Catholic: Oh hell no!
    Austin_Bill: Then why you going to their concert and got them on your Sig.
    LonghornCatholic: Cause I like the ladies, and the ladies like Air Supply.

Or
    Dude is just into that kind of music.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Prediction: the LC/Air Supply thing will have legs

• Like Like x 6
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As soon as word gets out, I suspect it will have wheels.

• Like Like x 3
  15. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Remember he is no ordinary Catholic... he is a ROMANTIC Catholic ... so he KNOWS what the ladies like! :clap:

• Like Like x 3
  16. LonghornCatholic

I'm a musician, fellas.

I've seen everyone from BB King, to Hall & Oates, Santana to SOS Band, Chicago to Snoop Dog (worse concert ever), STYX to Chuck Berry, Foreigner to Los Lonely Boys, Doobie Bros to Selena, and yes, Air Supply.

Proof..........

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Call me when Run DMC makes that list.

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

So much wrong with this post (smiley face):
    - Sterns has to stay 3 years since he is not redshirting.
    - Mongo is his name

19. LonghornCatholic

Many others on the list but yeah, would like to see them - Run DMC.

20. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Yesterday I ended up watching the game at a Sports bar in Houston because I dropped off my daughter and her friend at the Beyonce concert.
    I actually bought the tickets for myself and a lady I'm no longer seeing, so I decided to give them to her and her friend. I like Beyonce music, but I ain't going to a Beyonce concert on my own. Anyways, while I was at the sports bar I met this Nubian Goddess, she was like a Beyonce clone. Too bad she was about 25 years younger than me, I would have seriously went after that.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

No.

22. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

LC,
    I thought that you were going to tell us what it was like watching the game in a bathroom stall with the added smells and sounds.:yikes:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Have we ever done a concerts thread?

My first (way back): Queen. Opener was Thin Lizzy.
    :e-thinking:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

First for me was ZZTop in San Antonio.

• Like Like x 2
  25. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

This has truly become a "random thoughts" thread!

• Like Like x 2
  26. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

First for me was KISS in 1979 in Lake Charles, La.

• Like Like x 2
  27. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Anyone else remember the catacombs in Rice Village? John Mayall was the headliner and Billy Gibbons was the opener with the " Moving Sidewalks". I was 14. So many moons ago.

28. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Overrated: champagne and picnics

29. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This is way off the thread topic, but my first concert was in 1970 - Chicago in Fort Worth... does that make me really old?

On the thread topic - Caden Sterns and Brandon Jones have impressed me the most so far this season with Lil' Jordan as a runner-up.

Agree QB roll-outs to the left should be stopped - Sam cannot throw on the run to the left and complete a pass.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  30. LonghornCatholic

I've seen Chicago, twice. Great band.