Some random thoughts on rewatch

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ProdigalHorn, Sep 16, 2018.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Not quite as diverse as LC, but in my early years...
    KC and the Sunshine Band
    Police - ghost in the machine
    Journey - escape
    U2
    Van Halen - 1984
    DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

• Like Like x 2
  2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I've seen KC, twice. Proud, too!

Would love to see Journey.

Have seen Christopher Cross.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Chicago is "Groovy":bow:

• Like Like x 2
  4. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

First concert in Lake Charles Alice Cooper mid 70's

• Like Like x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Groovy....haven’t heard that sine the 60’s :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Why do I hear this said in the voice of the Big Bopper?

• Like Like x 2
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

"Oh baby, you knnnnnnnnows what I like!" :lmao:

• Like Like x 3
  8. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I wish I was a musician. Wife wont let me buy a drum set. Anyway, first concert was the Romantics in ~79'. That was not too great. I saw Cheaptrick in 82' and got surrounded by a bunch of young punks after the show. We had about 6 of us, they had about 12. I knocked one of them down and ran like hell. I started playing football after that because I wanted to be tougher.

• Like Like x 2
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

First real concert, I believe, was Elton John at the then, Palmer Auditorium. Tumble Weed Connection tour.
    Last concert was Jeff Beck at ACL Live about a month ago.
    Journey? C'mon man.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

First concert: Heart in 78 in Abilene, TX. Ann was thinner and Nancy was hot.
    Last concert: George Strait in Vegas earlier this year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

OK, you babies can tune this out. When I was a kid, my uncle was a policeman in the Beaumont Police Department. Part of his duty was security when "dignitaries" and "celebrities" came to town. He took me to a concert at whatever the old building downtown was, probably Beaumont Civic Center.

Performing in order:

Floyd Tillman
    Willie Nelson (in green suit and black tie)
    Johnny Cash
    Marty Robbins
    Johnnie Horton

I remember it well because after Floyd Tillman screeched out "I Love You So Much It Hurts", my hearing has never been the same, and as DAC would later sing "it hurt me".

• Like Like x 2
  12. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

First concert was KC and the Sunshine Band
    Next concert - Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening

• Like Like x 1
  13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and a haircut

14. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

2nd concert ever was Motley Crue. Opening act in their 1st live performance ever was Guns N Roses. Good stuff.
    1st concert was KISS (when I was around 12).

• Like Like x 1
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

First for me was Ohio Players and Billy Preston. I was a very soulful Child. I later went through a metal stage and It was Ozzy in San Antonio, that was the famous peeing on the Alamo concert.
    Then I went through a Rap stage, I saw the great Rap concert of all time. 1986.
    Opening group was Beastie Boys, then LL COOL J, then Whoodni, and finally RUN DMC.
    yes, I have lived a full life.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, the fifth Beatle, born in Houston's Jeff Davis Hospital

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Ok, I'm in. My first concert was The Monsters of Rock at Rice stadium in 1988. Kingdom Come, Metallica, Scorpions and Van Halen with one other band I've never been able remember. I arrived at Ft Hood at the ripe old age of 18 having had a pretty sheltered life and had a car so I got a free ticket and hotel to drive. While everyone else was smoking the good stuff and partying I stayed on the field all day as everything was general admission. It was just before Metallica exploded and the stadium seating was mostly empty during the day. By the time Van Halen came on I hadn't realized the stadium filled up and I was just a few rows of people from the stage. When the lighters fired up during the last song I finally looked up and was amazed where I was and how many people were there. I'll never forget the fire hose spraying the crowd while Metallica and Scorpions were playing and the mass of humanity swaying around packed in like sardines, I didnt have a choice and just went with it. Girls in bikinis mashed up against me and I loved every minute of it. No other concert has ever lived up to that experience.

Edit: I just looked it up and the 5th band was Dokken. No wonder they had fire hoses spraying the crowd because it was July 2nd. I remembered it being hot, but damn. Wow.

Kingdom Come - Jul 1, 1988 at Rice Stadium - Rockin Houston

Yeah, I was somewhere in there.

Metallica - Jul 2, 1988 at Rice Stadium - Rockin Houston

The fire hose!

Monsters of Rock (Texas World Music Festival) - Jul 2, 1988 at Rice Stadium - Rockin Houston

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  19. beaVo

beaVo 500+ Posts

i’ve seen floyd, the stones, the eagles, zz top... but the best of all was paul mccartney in austin a few years ago. i went with the wife and 2 young daughters. we had nosebleed seats but some guy singled us out and gave us FRONT ROW CENTER seats. one of the best days of my life.

• Like Like x 2
  20. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

First concert was the Cars in 1984 in San Antonio. 18 years old. Eddie Murphy at the Erwin Center in '85 or '86 (comedian not band) and remember we were pissed because we paid $20 per ticket, he better be funny.....AC/DC in Erwin Center '86.....

• Like Like x 1
  21. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

If we start winning, i'm going to play 'Making Love Out of Nothing at All' on repeat after the Eyes of Texas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Okay, I actually listened to that and it was awful! Where was that? Looked like a junior high school. And I love that song.

I've seen a million diverse concerts, too, but not so much lately. From Elvis to the Carpenters, from U2 to the Runaways, from Willie Nelson to Johnny Winter, Guns and Roses to Sammy Davis Jr., Glen Campbell, REM, Tears for Fears, Alison Krauss, Elton John, Dr. John, Toto, Coldplay, Ringo Starr, Chris Isaak, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Black Crowes, Bright Eyes, Harry Chapin, Ray Stevens, dc Talk, the Eagles, INXS, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jars of Clay, Sting...just a million that I can't even think of and a million you never would have heard of.

I love live music, but I'm just not in a phase of my life where I get to go out much anymore....

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Same. Traffic, crowds, parking, waiting in lines ... nope!

• Like Like x 1
  24. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yup, no patience anymore.
    For example... friend is trying to talk me into seeing Elton John on his farewell tour on Dec. 14 in Dallas AA Center - on my 65th. Tickets are ridiculously priced for decent seats and I don't want to put up with the whole thing - crowd BS. I can handle UT games or the Cotton Bowl... concerts are another matter.

• Like Like x 2
  25. LonghornCatholic

Agree the sound from my phone was terrible, but they sounded amazing. I've heard Steve Miller, Trish Yearwood, Christopher Cross, Foreigner, Santana, and Air Supply (the first time I saw then) compliment the acoustics and atmosphere of that venue in the middle of the show.

Steve Miller actually asked his manager to book another date because "We wanna come back!".

Foreigner said, "Wow, classy place. How the hell did we get in?!".

Bands who have toured the world have raved about it, so they would disagree it looks like a Jr. High.

But what do they know?

• Like Like x 2
  26. LonghornCatholic

I'm actually with you'll, but the cozy venue I go for concerts doesn't get too bad.

Their are a lot of bands I would like to see, but I can't imagine myself sitting in the back of an arena watching, rather, listening to (what is there to see from the nose bleeds) a band. I don't care who it is.

• Like Like x 1
  27. everette

everette 250+ Posts

Eric Burdon and the Animals, summer 1968, opening act was Sweet Smoke

• Like Like x 2
  28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Are we naming all the concerts we have been to?
    What I can remember were these.
    1975 Ohio Players, Billy Preston
    Feb 1982 Ozzy Diary of a Madman, with Triumph, and Fast way
    1982 - Iron Maiden can't remember who else
    1983 Scorpions, Iron Maiden, and Saxon
    This ended my metal days for awhile
    1984 Jackson's victory tour Houston Astrodome
    1985 Power Station at Astroworld
    1986 Run DMC, Whoodini, LL Cool J, and Beastie Boys
    1987 - Luke Skywalker 2LiveCrew at South Padre Island
    1987 - Lisa Lisa Cult Jam, and Expose
    1989 - Garth Brooks at SA Rodeo
    1993 - Beach Boys in Provo Utah
    2008 - Blue Man Group in Vegas Best show ever!!!
    2016 - Black Sabbath in Dallas with Ozzy as the vocalist. This is the end tour.

29. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Okay, I sit corrected! Still, you didn’t say where it was, or else I read right past it.

Christopher Cross played a lot on the fraternity circuit when I was at UT, so I saw him before he made it big.

My first concert that my parents didn’t take me to was Jimmy Buffett at the Armadillo World Headquarters while I was still in high school in Austin. He was touring behind “Come Monday,” which I suppose was his first hit. Acoustics in there weren’t so good

I also won tickets one time to see Ray Stevens in Austin while he had the #1 song on the radio at the time—“The Streak.”

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

First concert was to see The Beatles when they came to Dallas in 1964. It was mostly teenyboppers screaming and jumping up and down.
    First concert I really liked was Jimi Hendrix in Dallas in 1968.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1