Some random thoughts on rewatch

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by ProdigalHorn, Sep 16, 2018.

1. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Wow!

2. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

My first major concert was U2 in the Sunbowl for Achtung baby. Public Enemy opened for them.
    Saw plenty of smaller shows before that though. I actually saw Nine Inch Nails in a little dive in El Paso called Club 101 in 1991. I think it was for Pretty Hate Machine before they/he blew up. I didn't think that was a huge deal at the time.
    It was a great show, but now I think I'd go more for a Marty Robbins at this juncture.
    My last concert - took the kid to Imagine Dragons. Kids had fun. But I almost blew my brains out. So fuggin lame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Vertical Horizon and Everclear. Everclear was cool. Took handful of us back stage and tour bus. Offered to make us burgers on his George Foreman.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

This is a really weird thread for Texas-USC, by the way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I hadn’t been to a major concert in years since I saw Willie on Lake Travis. But last year I went to U2 Joshua Tree tour in New Orleans. Freakin awesome!!
    I’m a generation X member so U2 is one of if not the greatest bands for my generation. They are also up there with The Rolling Stones and AC/DC as greatest live bands. Some people take issue with Bono’s activism but as far as live music goes, that was the best I have seen!
    Wish we had more threads on music.

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

WINNER: The Beatles 1964 Dallas!? :trophy: WOW is right.

Joe, where was that? Moody Coliseum, The Majestic Theater, Bronco Bowl?

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Gary Johnson is Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Week.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for bringing this all back down to earth, JF!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I wonder what Gary Johnson's first ever concert was...:e-thinking:

• Like Like x 6
  10. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Speaking of Earth, Wind, and Fire, my dad got to jam with early Jefferson Airplane, like '65 '66 ish

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Saw Earth Wind and Fire at the USAA Christmas party back in 2012.

12. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

A couple of tosu upperclassmen stated they thought TCU had the fastest team they had seen while playing college ball. Could be going overboard to compliment an opponent that gave them a tough game...or could be true.

13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Memorial Auditorium as I recall. I was 10 years old. A friend of mine had an older sister and she took us. There were some warmup bands, I don’t remember who they were.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

• Like Like x 1
  15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Saw Hendrix in San Antonio at the Municipal Auditorium that same year. I think he was stoned. The concert was pretty shabby even by the standards of 1968.
    He had the two British backup guys with him. That was it. They played with no real energy or passion. At the end, Hendrix smashed his guitar. I was disappointed.
    First real concert was Dick Clark's Cavalcade of stars. Main headliner; Paul Revere and the Raiders in '65.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

OK, I concede .....

I once saw Little Feat at the Texas Chili Parlor 15th and Lavaca
    I kid not
    In fact, I was just a kid
    So I dropped one of their songs mentioning Austin on the 'What Are You Listening To" thread

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Tanya Tucker once dove into an open window in my car on 6th Street (i will post name of the venue once i rmbr it, lol)*
    She knew my friend riding shotgun
    I drove away with her kissing him

* Steamboat

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I met artist Jim Franklin at one of the Graetful Dead shows at Manor Downs.
    You might recognize his concert posters from around Austin
    We stayed friends until I left Austin
    I had this top one of his in my room for long time. I still have it somewhere. Always my favorite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was definitely at this show too \/ Few weeks b4 it closed for good
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I was once visiting a female friend when I heard a motorcycle pull up.
    She answered the door and it was Omar from Omar and the Howlers.
    He sat down. She left the room and we stared at each other for about ten minutes.
    He left. I won. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You only won if you got laid that night.

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Said outcome confirmed.
    A wild night forever etched in my memory.
    Sex, drugs and rock and roll.!

• Like Like x 1
  22. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Chips, dip, chains, whips?

23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Alcohol, rolled up dollar bills and buttons ricocheting off the wall as clothing was ripped off.
    And a couple of Woody Allen moments for comic relief.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

the touchdown throw to Moore could have been real bad. Moore had to make a HELL of an adjustment, and then make an incredible reach to make that catch. The tight end cleared the safety on that side so Sam just had to get the ball near the middle of the end zone ... instead, he throws it high and right to where Moore HAD to make a play. not sure if that's a footwork thing, or he got excited?

25. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

First concert - Grand Funk Railroad in 1973 (Not my idea! Girlfriend was in love with Mark Farner)
    Best concerts (tie) - Talking Heads at the Armadillo and Little Feat at that converted theater on Congress Avenue. Mid-70s, don't remember exact years. Those were the good old days...
    Last concert - Eric Clapton at AA Center

26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Reading this thread I was all into the sex, drugs and rock and roll when this football post totally harshes my vibe - is nothing sacred? j/k

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Where is the WTF button when you need it?
    Edit: Ha! I see it. It’s the eyes option

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I never knew you went to OU :hookem2:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

That was Austin in the 70s.
    No one has the corner on debauchery.

• Like Like x 1
  30. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I for one am determined not to let this post be about football.
    Back in the early 90's I went to a Smithereen's concert. Probably 1991, the drunkest night of my life. I kept drinking Long Island Tea's, I don't know how many......a shitload. So after my 10th trip to the bar or so I am going back to our row, everyone was standing on chairs. I stumble up the wrong row and "some one is standing in my chair". I climb up the chair mumble and push him off. He slugs me in the jaw. I didn't feel it. He was a big guy, 6'2" 210. The bouncer saw him slug me and didn't see me throw him off the chair. he got kicked out. Ha, it was like throwing the first punch after the scrumb and the retaliatory punch get's the 15 yard penalty. Don't know how I got home that night....but I made it. I did have a ride, they took my keys. Smithereen's were good back then. They didn't last long though. Never looked at a Long Island Tea since.

• Like Like x 1