Somehow we are favored vs. USC

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Horngal12

Horngal12 100+ Posts

Last year Shane played on a shoulder injury, a high ankle sprain, and finished the season getting hip surgery. He still managed to have a decent record as a starter (5-2) vs Sam (2-4). I agree that the improved line should help him out. Unfortunately coach won't give him the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Less than 24 hours !

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They are here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Ahhh, not sure we can compete with that. (Just keeping it real.)

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I am curious, also. I only bring these things up because so many people on here talk like he's a sure bet or something...and definitely waaay better than Sam. No one really knows and there's been nothing difinitive one way or another....though there are some historical "facts" each has put on record: Sam turns it over and doesn't have as strong of an arm and Shane struggles if the play isn't immediately there and doesn't improvise well. And on a related note there's the "moxy" issue...My opinion.
    I just can't get about 3-5 plays last year out of my head when we still had a chance to beat Maryland, the play broke down but there was ample opportunity to get the 2 yards we needed or whatever and Shane just waived the white flag.
    I do understand the curiousity with what he "might" or "could" do. If everyone talked in that context about the situation the way you have, I wouldn't even post on the subject. You are a reasonable man, Joe Fan.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RainH2burntO

Some fair points...though the level of competition they started against makes a difference and they were mixed and matched in games so the record aspect isn't very telling one way or the other.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Rain, I don’t think this is the case. Most of us acknowledge that neither player has proven to be “the answer.”

For me, I want to see Shane given a shot for a few reasons.

First, Sam has repeatedly shown a propensity to melt down at critical
    moments in the game. Although we all thought or hoped that he would have grown from last year, based on what we saw at Maryland, it is not the case. At least, not yet. And even though he is being praised for playing well against Tulsa, SE still had a turnover, and almost another.

Secondly, while I agree that SB is less mobile, he has a more accurate arm. I always go back to the beginning of the 2016 campaign. Few can honestly say that they weren’t impressed. He threw some stellar passes.

Third, he’s a year older, wiser and stronger.

Forth, the line in front of him is better than it was last year. Perhaps much.

Fifth, he’s healthy.

I don’t get Herman’s obsession with Ehlinger, and I don’t agree with it. If Buechele comes in and stinks the place up, fine, then let’s go back to SE. But to exclude SB makes no sense to me, particularly given the obvious liability that SE represents.

• Like Like x 1
  10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, but check this out....Remember this USC cheerleader?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  12. RainH2burntO

Good, fair points

13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

...Never said that the USC Cheerleaders were smart...

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Who’s Staying in the USC team hotel you guessed it this guy. Smh

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I guess they did

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I hope you were just blowing hot air and didn't take your own advice.

• Like Like x 3
  17. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

At first I thought you were referring to the guy being trampled by the bulls, crimson shirt, white pants, could be a USC cheerleader (if USC has cheerleaders beyond the Song Girls).

Then I noticed Natalie. I guess that's her. Ah, Natalie, confirming that Texas TD with a Song Girl cheer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think it was our 2-point conversion.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

It was the 2pt. conversion. That was classic her cheering and waving the pom-poms!

• Like Like x 2