Son of Gotch?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Crockett, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I see North Texas has a verbal from Mason Y'Baro, a big offensive lineman from Sulphur Springs.

2. ChiroHorn

ChiroHorn 100+ Posts

Good one bro.

3. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I don't get it. [​IMG]

4. ChiroHorn

ChiroHorn 100+ Posts

Old school recruiting joke that fooled an 'expert'. I can't remember who. Gotch Yarbrough = gotcha bro.

5. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Maybe I need something to drink. Then it will be funny. [​IMG]

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think you have to have followed recruiting since about the time Mack arrived to get any meaning. Sorry for an "inside" joke. If it doesn't mean something at first site it sure won't be funny by the time it's been explained.

7. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Somebody "invented" a recruit named Gotch Yarborough and David Garvin took it hook, line and sinker (at least I think it was Garvin) even reporting on personal conversations that obviously could not have taken place. If you say the "recruit's" name fast it's kind of like Haywood Jablome. Gotcha Bro.

8. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Yes it was David Garvin. I was the one who made the name up and created the whole bogus story of the player from Vancouver .. But I felt pretty bad that Garvin fell for it and really kinda disappeared from the recruiting reporting scene afterwards. He was not too bad at his job actually. Just made a horrible mistake and made a fool of himself...

I don't think he reported personal conversation in his telephone update service. Only said he was hearing some late rumors on a player from Canada etc. Austin360.com went totally ROTFL.

I never thought that the Gotch story would be remembered even after over a dozen years though.

R.J.

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

My bad. You're good.

I can't remember exactly what happened, but it seemed to me that it was several years before Garvin disappeared and he cooked his goose round here for pandering to our rivals or something like that.

10. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

May be you are right. I didn't follow exactly when Garvin disappeared, but the Gotch story was probably not the reason for it... He became a management consultant or something like that, didn't he?

I wish sombody would find the old Austin360.com archives somewhere. I never kept a copy of the elaborate story I had cooked up ... IIRC, I had actually given some school name and other Vancouver details which were real and gave believable reasons why nobody knew about this super-talent that the Texas coaches came to know very late, and all that stuff. Damn, if I knew it would end up becoming some sort of a classic prank, I would have kept the post.

I was later surprised to find odd internet forums elsewhere continuing to bring up the story once in a while .. Some guys mistakenly saying that it was Max Emfinger and other "less liked" assorted recruit gurus who fell for the prank. Anyway, the name Gotch Yarborough seems to live on.

R.J.

11. ChiroHorn

ChiroHorn 100+ Posts

12. robr

robr 100+ Posts

RJ,
    I remember it like it was yesterday. Fun memories, lots of GREAT posters back then.
    Garvin was an acquaintance, and he went back to the banking/mortgage related business.
    Haven't heard from him since he gave up the recruiting biz, but one thing that sticks in my mind was that he could recite almost the entire Bible- no kidding.