sooners

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Tommy_Grand, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

It's only Dec. 23, but ou does not look like a ncaa tournament team. IMO, the land thieves are worse than TEXAS, Ku, Ksu, TT, and even tamu. I presume they finish pre-conference at 9-5, and then go like 7-9 in conference. Maybe worse if they drop one in waco.

16-14 & under .500 in conference = NIT at best.

I predict a busy spring for the mobile home repair business.

2. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

Well at least they still have footba....

oh wait.

3. notreally

notreally 1,000+ Posts

what would ever give you that idea? we'd be lucky to make it to the NIT at this point.

4. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

OU can shoot their way into the NIT (perhaps even the NCAA). The problem for them will be what do they do when they run into a pressing defense....the game long wear down will send their FG percentage into the dumper.

5. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

Did Capel get coaching advice from Bob Stoops or something? [​IMG]

6. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner 100+ Posts

Couldn't have been that. As injury plagued as they've been this year, Stoops team still plays defense. The hoops team, not so much. [​IMG]

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

8. toucan82

toucan82 1,000+ Posts

a team that sucks

9. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

10. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

I'd say they look worse than Missouri and Baylor right now, as well; however, they may come on strong. As a team they aren't shooting 3's very well (I think they are about 10th in the conference--still better than UT), but they could could significantly improve. Warren in particular started out atrociously last year and really got hot as the season went on.

They do look like they are having big lapses on defense, but I'd hold off on claiming them out of the tournament, even if they look like a 7th, 8th or 9th place team right now.

11. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

The Link

A bright spot . We may get beat, but we'll break your stuff.

12. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

13. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

Although Baylor has not yet faced, let alone defeated, a top-25 opponent, I agree that the 10-1 Bears look stronger than the 8-5 sooners. Hence, BU should win that game in Waco. But will they choke?

14. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

Ou goes as willie warren goes. He's finding life without Blake Griffin is exposing his weaknesses. As he was in HS, he's not to hip on working hard to improve. He could; however, have a few white hot 3 pt games and pull a big upset or two.

15. Stormspencer

Stormspencer 100+ Posts

We are a really bad defensive team right now. Additionally, there is no leadership from any of the upper-classmen. It's hard to put into words what the loss of the Griffin brothers and Austin Johnson has done to this team.....on so many levels (toughness, rebounding, leadership). We will be hot from behind the arc in a couple of conference games...so that's good for a few wins. However, we will be fortunate to finish 6-10 or better. [​IMG]

16. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I'd say Baylor is just a tad better than OU. Outscored them 80-40 over the last 33 minutes or so.

17. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Storm, that's what I noticed when I watched quite a bit of the game at Gonzaga -- no intensity on the defensive end.

18. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

Baylor ends a THIRTY game losing streak to the sooners by defeating them by 31 points. Last time Baylor beat ou was 32 years ago...1977.

19. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

No intensity or organization on defense and ZERO leadership starting with Capel and Willie and on down the bench.

We may not win a game in conference.

20. Tommy_Grand

Tommy_Grand 500+ Posts

Surely they'll win a conference game. They should get over on the cyclones at least.

21. Bigtex112

Bigtex112 500+ Posts

Without much thought, OU is suffering from a problem that's been a persistent pain for them for many years......they suck.

22. Stormspencer

Stormspencer 100+ Posts

23. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

absolutely gutless

24. dangdirtysooner

dangdirtysooner 250+ Posts

25. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

is this his 4th year? and you're blaming Sampson? He's the one that brought the Griffins? and Capel's starting Willie, Tiny and Mason-Griffin...those are Capel's guys. They are young and coachable. Capel's 40 and a man. He needs to do better.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

26. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

27. OUEngineer

OUEngineer 500+ Posts

TigerPride, step off the ledge, friend. I agree with you that the team has looked awful at points this season, but you're the one who seems drunk. :=)

I posted on our board a few days ago that Capel is losing the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the 'inexperience card excuse.' This far into a season, we should look more disciplined than we generally do. We are lost most of the time on defense. I am amazed how lousy WW looks on that end, since he played decently most of the year in '08/'09. He looks totally disinterested on that end. On offense, it's not much better, as he seems content to stand there and jack up 3's the entire night.

I realize we're going to be a perimeter team this season, but we do have a few guys who can slash to the goal and draw fouls. Yet, that well has rarely been tapped into thus far. I barely recognize any semblance of what you'd call a 'base offense.'

I almost blew my lid last night, when WW jacked up a 3 with about 30s to go on the shot clock. We were already up by 3, with about a 1:00 to go in regulation. I think Travis Ford jizzed himself at that point, probably dumbfounded we be so stupid as to not use the clear clock advantage we had at that juncture. I mean, seriously -- WTF! If you wanna hoist up a 3 -- fine, but at least have the sense to run the shot clock down first. Such stupidity typifies the OU team in '09-'10.

I did see some improvements last night, though. Movement was better. We made a yeoman's effort to attack the rim, even if it wasn't always successful. If we'd made our FT's, which we've actually been good at this year, we win by close to 10 over oSu. At home, that is a decent win. Instead, we're scraping til the last second to eek out a win that shouldn't have gone down to OT.

28. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

29. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

30. OUEngineer

OUEngineer 500+ Posts