South Florida Keys...must do's???

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by EJC+1, Jan 25, 2009.

1. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Looks like the wife and I are going to fly to Miami this summer and spend about 5-6 days exploring the area. Wanna go check out the Keys and maybe 1 day in the Everglades.

What are the must things to see and do?

We are really big into beaches and snokeling....not so big on night life.

What are the best places to go snokeling? Where are some of the nicer beaches where there's not a ton of trash hanging around?

2. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

Key Largo. Stop there and go no further south.

3. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Key west is not big on beaches and is big on grimy night life. I have a soft spot for it, but its probably not going to be worth the drive for you.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Harbor Beach Marriott in Fort Lauderdale is a 16 acre compund with a really nice private beach, about 1/2 mile from nearest public beach. Most guests congregate around the pool; not too many on the beach.

5. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

NB hit it on the head. Key west and the rest of the keys are not really about beaches. Fishing, eating, drinking, and sailing. I too have a soft spot for the keys as well.

6. dlatin

dlatin 100+ Posts

You mention you like snorkeling, this is a must do and not far - Key Largo:

I would recommend going to John Pennekamp State Park and going on the Snorkel tour. They take you out and you're in 15-20' of water but the coral is unbelievable. I love to snorkel and have been to a lot of places and this is some of the better snorkeling I've seen.

Great Snorkeling

7. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

My family has a house in the pennecamp state park waters.

you can affordably rent a boat at pennecamp, and go out fishing or snorkeling. there is also a man made beach there. key west is fun for shopping and people watching. they also have some good food down there.

If you decide to stay in key largo, shoot me a PM and i'll give you soem more specifics about restaurants, etc.

8. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

9. dlatin

dlatin 100+ Posts

I've snorkeled in St.John, St. Thomas, Antigua, St. Maarten, St.. Lucia and others and I thought the John Pennekamp snorkeling was great. More for the unbelievable coral they took us out to. There were giant formations of all different types, brain, staghorn, etc. Its sometihng like the only living coral barrier reef in North America.

I thought it was impressive.

10. EJC+1

EJC+1 250+ Posts

Yeah...we've snorkeled all over Hawaii and Aruba.

11. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Coming from someone who lived in Fort Lauderdale for 25+ years, I'd say that if you don't go all the way to Key West, even for one day, you'll regret it.

Take the drive down, then take a "Fast Cat"

[​IMG]
    The Link
    The Link
    to Fort Jefferson / Dry Tortugas National park.

[​IMG]

Depending on how into history you are, you'll have 'some' spare time & might be able to get in about 1 hour or maybe more of very untouched snorkeling as well (we didn't do the snorkeling, so I have no real idea of how much time you might get).

Then, get back to Key West in time for the sunset off Mallory Square; it's really quite a scene, even though it primarily caters to tourons (tourist + moron). Be sure to get your pic with the marker for "This point is the furthest South in the Contental USA / only 90 miles to Cuba".

[​IMG]

I also recommend Pennekamp; the Molasses Reef trip is very well regarded & then there's always the "Sunken Jesus" statue which is known worldwide.

Note: Be VERY cautious if you decide to rent a boat to take out on your own as there is a high danger of running aground & damaging the reef system... very shallow water & the tides can fool you. Usually a dive shop trip or the one that is concessioned out of the park is my suggestion.

As for the Marriott in Fort Lauderdale, my only real concern is that it's a bit touristy & sanitized.

Lastly, summertime in the Glades can be dreadful for the skeeters; you can spend 30 minutes chasing them once you get into a room & then 5 minutes after you get into bed, there is one lone Zeke buzzing your head. If y'all like to fish, I can get you the name of a guide who can take you into some really skinny water out of Flamingo (due W of Homestead); my brother & I did a run with him around 4 years ago this past October & had a great time.

So, those are my suggestions.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Key West is great for the bars. Wish I was there now. Wish I was there all the time. Take a fishing trip then hit sloppy joe's and hog's breath to lie about your catch.

13. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

We went to Key West last spring and had an awesome time - with minimal seedy bar activity! There's plenty to do there that is not centered around the cheeziness. We took a kayak tour of the mangroves and the bay area, ate incredibly well, toured hemingway's house, went to a pirate museum, watched some amazing sunsets, and overall just had a relaxing, wonderful 3-day weekend. We enjoyed the drive down, too - very scenic.
    I HIGHLY recommend Azul Key West, a b&b in the historic district:The Link
    We found it on tripadvisor and could not have stayed at a more perfect place. It's not cheesy and tropical-themed like most b&bs/hotels down there - very modern, with great touches - nice pool, awesome porch, comfy and beautiful rooms, and really fantastic owners that gave us excellent tips. If there weren't so many other places that I want to travel to, I'd probably end up there every chance I got.

14. MaceHorn

MaceHorn 100+ Posts

I agree w/everyone who's said you must drive to Key West once. But, it is imperative that you stop at Tower Pizza at Mile Marker 100, just as you enter Key Largo. Right side of the road. The pizza is fine. The Key Lime Pie is the best I have found in the USA, and I look. Go get you some. I can't wait to get back there.