Southern Miss coach Hopson

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by The Eyes of Texas, Feb 8, 2019.

1. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Along with the Briles stuff, I don't know how any program could possibly consider this guy a good representative of the school. You could take some dude out of a cubicle at an insurance company and say "here's the keys to the program" and immediately be on superior moral footing to whatever Hopson is.

3. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Okay, I'm about "innocent until proven guilty" so I read the article linked in the OP above. Headline leaves out more important details:

"Southern Miss head coach Jay Hopson recruited a junior college transfer accused of raping two women at knifepoint in 2015, but the player's application was denied by the admissions office after finding out about his past, per Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic."

Okay, so "accused" so I'm still reading....

"The sexual assault case against running back Charles West fell apart after the two women struggled to testify in front of him and did "not take the witness stand for a trial," according to Jennifer Emily of the Dallas Morning News."

Okay, so still hesitating, until one reads:

' "Per Emily, "both criminal cases were downgraded to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon." West pled guilty to each case and received probation as part of a deal struck with prosecutors." '

So, not rape, BUT THIS GUY STILL IS A CONVICTED FELON OF AGGRAVATED ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY WEAPON.

And I'm also about redemption, but doesn't seem like much here --- probation and he's off to the races to play college football paid for by a college scholarship and then (maybe) on to the pros to make millions.

Perhaps this young man should just pray for God's (and his victims') forgiveness, get a job on a construction site for 10 years or so, and settle into an adult, productive life.

If not, he's learned nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

Had you kept reading even further you would have seen this at the end of the article:

"Hopson also recruited a registered sex offender to play for him while he was the coach at Alcorn State. "

5. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Didn't he try to hire Briles as OC as well?

6. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

sounds like the southern miss athletic director needs to reconsider his head coaching choice. This does not speak well for the program or school.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

From the Baylor thread before I even knew about this other stuff...

Then you've got this...

Hopson seems like a poor man's Art Briles and with any luck he'll become just as unemployable as the latter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Can you imagine if Hopson and Briles had managed to hook up on the same team? Satan himself would have had a luxury box at the stadium.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

This explains alot why Coach vouched for Art Briles ...

• Agree Agree x 1