Space station viewing this week

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by BA93, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

9:38pm tonight in Houston

Link

2. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

Did anyone see it?

3. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

Since I wrote the post, I went outside and caught it. Being near downtown Houston, I wondered how viewable it would be. Surprised how bright it was and it went across the sky in a few minutes. Believe there is another viewing tonight.

4. BPIVODA

BPIVODA 25+ Posts

any idea what time? i'm in houston as well.

thanks

5. BPIVODA

BPIVODA 25+ Posts

nevermind, clicked the link.

thanks

6. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

I step outside and see it every evening it is visible. A few parents in our neighborhood take their children outside to show it to them. It is amazing to think that that thing you see moving across the sky is traveling at 17,500 mph and is 122 miles up.

Sighting information (including the shuttle) can also be found at NASA Sighting Opportunities.

STS-127 is scheduled to launch July 11th. If the timing is right you will be able to see the orbiter (Endeavour) and the ISS side-by-side. This is particularly impressive. It looks like those in Texas will not be able to see them simultaneously on the way up, but maybe we will on July 26 or 27 (and possibly the 25th) after undocking.

Visit one of the sites in this thread to see if it will be visible in your area.

[​IMG]

7. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

Saw the station tonight. I remember seeing both it and a shuttle during a football game back in '97.

8. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del 500+ Posts

I watched it last night, I think. Does it look like one yellowish light flying from one end of the horizon to the other? Not fast (at least to an earth-bound observer). Maybe 5 minutes from one to the other?

9. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

10. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Couldn't miss it tonight in Corpus Christi, as it went nearly directly overhead. Will have to get some optics trained on it the next time viewing is so good.