Spain's stolen babies

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by SyracuseHorn, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SyracuseHorn

SyracuseHorn 500+ Posts

A recent BBC documentary claims that doctors, nuns, nurses, and priests collaborated in a scheme to steal babies from undesirable parents. The mothers were told that their babies died during childbirth, but in fact they were sold to more respectable families.The practice began under Franco in the 30's, but continued through the 90's. Attorneys for the victims estimate the number of children stolen may reach 300,000. Even if the real number is only a fraction of that estimate, I can't imagine a more horrifying abuse of power.

2. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

The same thing was done in Argentina, also with the support of the Catholic Church.

Link

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

4. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Um, yes it is an indictment of the church.

Does that mean the Vatican was directly involved? Not necessarily. Does every indictment of the RCC necessarily require the direct involvement of the Vatican? Again, no. But let's define "the church", shall we, in such a way that affords maximum defence to the church. Well done, sheeple.

The facts are that the Catholic Church supported this in Argentina. Now, being that you seem to looking for reasons to deflect RCC criticism, I don't expect you to agree with me, but yes, the RCC was involved in Argentina, and no, just because the Vatican wasn't directly involved does not absolve the church from blame here, nor does it mean one cannot indict the church on this. I mean, really, the prior post was about the Catholic church involvement in Spain about the same thing.

You should probably do some research here and find out who the "certain church officials" were who were involved. You seem too inclined to dismiss wrongdoing in the name of Jesus. Which makes you an ideal modern-day Catholic.

I find the approach above by Rex to be quite offensive. Rex has conveniently invoked a rule that all too often is used to cover up, excuse, and give plausible deniability to organizations: that of, if you can't tie it to the top man then organization itself can't be blamed.

I wonder what Rex has to say about RCC involvement with all the sexual abuse cases?

5. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I am not a big fan of the RCC. I am, however, a big supporter of the generic "church".

6. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

Rex, given some of your comments, you apparently are unaware of the details of this story. Given that, it is difficult for you to contribute meaningfully on this topic. You wish to blame the messenger.

am not a big fan of the RCC. I am, however, a big supporter of the generic "church".

This is a bit puzzling since the specific criticism was aimed at the catholic church and not the generic church.

7. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

I concede that I am indeed unaware. I do not think my reading comprehension is off, however. I have read a total of one article on the Argentine situation of baby theft. Your linked article. I read of no evidence of the institution of the RCC sponsoring baby theft. Rather, I read of agents of an evil dictatorship carrying out murders and baby thefts, with alleged help from a few complicit doctors, nuns and priests.

It is apparent you're trying to fry the RCC here and it's laughable.

8. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

9. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

It is apparent you're trying to fry the RCC here and it's laughable.

"I" am not attempting to fry the RCC at all. It's Thursday, btw, but I would have said the same thing had it been tomorrow.

But you again seem to ignore certain patterns of complicity and abuse regarding the RCC in other areas. Is that because you haven't read any articles on RCC world-wide sexual abuse?

So, given the penchant for the RCC to hide behind hierarchical and bureaucratic walls (behaviour consistent with most, if not all, large organizations), why are you so inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this (Argentinian) issue? Are you aware of Pius XII ordering Jewish babies baptized by Catholics not be returned to their parents?

Pius XII is a pope, btw. So, using your rules, can we indict the catholic church for that?

I just don't think you know much about the RCC history at all, rex. Maybe you're more of a Southern Baptist guy, I don't know. But you're definitely not up on the RCC.

I'm not saying the RCC is all bad. It's not. Overall, it's good, but don't let that be an excuse for condoning the bad.

10. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

11. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

So rather thank talking around Rex, Perham, and down to him, edify us.

Give us some links and let us judge their veracity.

12. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts