Speaking of class rings....

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by SunBurntOrange, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Since this is the forum the subject started in, I figured it would be the best place to follow up.

I have always wanted to approach this subject here, but never did out of respect for all of you who put in all the years of hard hours to earn your diplomas. I did not graduate from UT. But I love the University with all I have. And I have always been very envious of those of you with rings. I am not really a jewelry kind of guy, but I look on those rings with a sense of admiration and respect. And as a symbol for all that it took to get one. If there is one thing I admire about aggy, it is the importance they put on the ring. And while an aggy ring is pretty easy to spot, not all others are. And if I find myself in conversations with folks who have one, I will invariably ask about it and where it is from. My daughter just finished her masters this past summer, and I am beside myself that she does not want one. I even offered to buy it for her. Alas, I realize it is not for everyone though.

Now my dilemma and my request for feedback. I have always wanted to have something similar. My brother, who is a UT graduate and long time doner to the school, casually mentioned that I could probably find one somewhere. But to me, that ain’t right. It would be hypocritical and would show a lack of respect to those who earned them. I do not want to represent myself a something I am not. I have in the past, and still do when conditions permit, donate to the Exes through my brother. And would love to wear something like that that says orange blood through and through but does not give the impression that I am a graduate.

Thoughts? Positive or negative, let me hear ‘em. Ya'll are obviously the best ones to hear feedback from. And this is something that I have been thinking about for years.

And I am willing to take my lashes for having one thing that I admire about aggy. But trust me, it stops there. [​IMG]

2. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

There are several rings sold by Kirk Root Designs and the Tx Exes that have a longhorn logo that could show your loyalty.

[​IMG]

3. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

I have seen the ones from Kirk Root. Very nice they are. But I never saw anything offered from the Exes, which would be me preference, except class rings. I must dig deeper. Thanks.

4. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I say you should wear whatever ring you like, even if it is an “official” looking class ring or whatever. Don’t waste another second of your awesome life being concerned with what other people think. Wear those horns proudly baby!

5. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I think you should find whatever ring you want that shows your pride in UT or any other school EXCEPT it should NOT indicate you are an alumni. A class ring indicates you are a member of a group that worked their asses off and completed degree plans. If you did not accomplish that, you should not claim you did or be seen as someone who claims such. Select something that shows your pride without the possibility of seeming to claim something you are not.