Speculations for Next Year

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Dr. D, Mar 26, 2018.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

They do list both him and Kelby Jones (Video Coordinator) on the staff page but not on the Quick Facts page. Both will probably be listed when the 2018-19 Fact Book is put online. It's much more comprehensive.

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Practice photos make me happy.

• Like Like x 4
  3. LutherIsMyDog

The team looks shredded.

• Like Like x 5
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Guessing that the same thing I am used to calling "cut". :smile1:

• Like Like x 3
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don’t know if it was just my phone but it was almost impossible to make out the first 20-30 seconds of Shae speaking because of the music.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I never listen to stuff on my phone so can't comment on that. But the music while watching the video on my PC was quite noticeable. It didn't overpower the speech but I was certainly aware of it in the background.

7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Joyner is getting up there...

• Like Like x 4
  8. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

man, that is some impressive stretching!

9. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Is it time to start a Speculations for THIS year?? . I would if I had any new, interesting information to share. But alas......nothing. The first game can’t get here fast enough......

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

My sentiments exactly!!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

I'll be honest. I was dubious about our ability to break through against Baylor this season. The Bears were blessed---two tremendous big girls coming back, a star point guard who would only get better for the next three years, and a terrific freshmen group coming in...Meanwhile, our future depended (and still depends) on some players making huge jumps from last year's disappointing performance level, while one of our heralded freshpersons is out for the season with a bum leg...
    The departure of Alexis Morris changes the equation. Its a huge blow to the Bears. They're not going to collapse, and they'll still be good. You may hate Mulkey, but she can coach. Baylor should still be the favorite to win the Big 12; but they had a chance to be overwhelming this season, and I think that chance is gone. Our chances against them are obviously much higher than they were three days ago. Once again, beating the Bears---and the whole rest of our season---still depends on big improvements in a few current players or some whopping contributions by one or two freshmen. Oh, we'll be good, no doubt, but good is no longer enough. I'm talking about our ability to duke it out and win against top national teams, which is something we simply could not do last season.

• Like Like x 2
  12. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Absolutely agree with your assessment Dr. D. Last year was disappointing; it was supposed to be the breakthrough Big 12 championship and Final Four year with Ariel, Brooke, and Audrey Ann. As I watched the WNBA playoffs, I can only lament that the team never rode the back of Ariel, whether Ariel was too unselfish or the coaches never demanded it of Ariel. Ariel was the best player on the team and I believe she could have carried the team to the Final Four.

Without Alexis, Baylor still remains the prohibitive favorite once again to dominate the league. And like you, I respect the coaching job Mulkey has done at Baylor and have no doubt she'll have another PG ready for the season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I agree that Baylor should obviously be the favorites this year. IMO last years Texas team was an average defensive team and could never get stops when they needed to. We as fans like to focus so much on offense but defensively they were average. And I think that will be the main factor this year.

In terms of Ariel, I don’t buy that she could have carried the team to the Final Four. And one of the reasons why is because of what I mentioned. They were average defensively and Ariel has never been a high volume scorer. Also keep in mind that she would usually pickup her customary 2 fouls in the first quarter or early in the half.

The pro and college games are totally different. A longer 3 point line and defensive rules create far more spacing in the WNBA. Also, Ariel isn’t or wasn’t a primary opinion this year with Washington like she was at Texas. Meaning more attention from opposing defenses.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  14. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Would Morris have started over Chloe Jackson (LSU grad transfer)? Jackson was all-SEC 2nd team last year, but played shooting guard.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

imo, Morris and Jackson would have started together along with Landrum in the backcourt.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I didn't know Morris was dismissed until I read Dr. D's post. It's hard to believe anyone could get dismissed from rapist U for violation of team rules. It must me against team rules to attend a rape victims vigil.

17. LutherIsMyDog

I'm curious if the hiring of Alan Major as Director of Player Management will bring changes to Karen's coaching, style of play and strategy. Karen wants to have an elite team and I tend to believe Alan Major will help her to assess the team's strengths and weaknessess and how to get the most out of their talent. He has an impressive resume and was hired for a reason.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

"LutherIsMyDog, I'm curious if the hiring of Alan Major as Director of Player Management will bring changes to Karen's coaching, style of play and strategy. Karen wants to have an elite team and I tend to believe Alan Major will help her to assess the team's strengths and weaknessess and how to get the most out of their talent. He has an impressive resume and was hired for a reason.["

I'm naive about these things. U.T. public relations says this: "In his role at Texas, Major will actively participate in the development of the program's student-athletes, will serve as a program analyst for the coaching staff and will assist with on-campus recruiting, video scouting and community events."
    "Program analyst." Tell me more about what you think this really means.

19. LutherIsMyDog

@Dr. D I don't have personal knowledge of the specific duties of Alan Major. However, from looking at his resume and his personal website, he brings experience and a skill set that we don't currently have on our coaching staff. He's coached men's basketball for over 20 years, most recently at UNC Charlotte and prior stints and Ohio State and Xavier. Accordng to his website he is also a consultant and motivational speaker.

I don't know how good or successful he is but since Karen has known him from her days at Charlotte, I think he's a person she trusts that can provide a fresh set of eyes on our team. I may be guilty of reading too much into the hire but I would not be surprised if we see some new wrinkles this year.

Here's a link to Alan Major's website:

Home - Alan Major

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Well I hope you are right about his real role. Recognition of the need for change, and understanding that successful change requires objective analysis, are the two most important attributes of successful managers in any enterprise, including basketball coaching.

• Like Like x 3
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I sure hope you're right about this. I want to see her evolve as a coach and have a career that is HOF worthy.

• Like Like x 3
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know they are rare but I wish they would’ve redshirted Mide her first year. She averaged just under 3.5 minutes a game as a freshman so I don’t know if it was a matter of keeping her engaged. Hindsight is 20-20.
    That being said, looking forward to what the veteran players bring this season.

• Like Like x 4
  23. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Really like the new uniforms.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's a great looking bunch of seniors. I doubt that the team will lack for leadership.

• Like Like x 1