Speculations for Next Year

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Dr. D, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As I stated, you are a piece of work (I want to use another word, but it's not allowed on here).

Of your 30+ posts on this message board which started the night we lost to Baylor on February 20, half of them are in threads about Baylor or Mulkey. Heck, you had the gall to create a thread about Mulkey as our head coach; that tells me all I need to know about where your allegiances/interests lie.

Of course, this handle probably isn't the only you have on this message board.

Still waiting for you to post on threads involving games we win, when our players receive post-season awards, when they get drafted for the WNBA, or when we get good recruiting news about any of our current verbal commitments/signees. You know, positive news. But, that's not what you're here for, now is it?

• Like Like x 9
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Calm down, Kim. Your team hasn't reached the Final Four in way too many years based on the talent level assembled and your national seed. Stick to resolving your own problems first and foremost.

• Like Like x 5
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Thank you for taking my thoughts and writing a more eloquent and concise response than I could write.

• Like Like x 4
  4. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

They're as bad as the far-right evangelical hypocrites who spew venom of their own, but then become the quintessential victims when anyone expresses a differing opinion. You're right... It is pathetic and cimical - especialy the part where you and I are both Baylor fans in disguise. Oh... And we're really the same person logging on under different usernames. What a freakin joke... and I cannot STAND Baylor but I give credit where it's due. They've been kicking our butts iver the past six years... not hard to do with that one-dimensional "strategy" of ours.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

You’re in here replying to yourself again brnkj? But in all seriousness, I do agree with you that Karen is very rigid in her approach and doesn’t try to change it up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LutherIsMyDog

The team is hard at work. Getting stronger.

• Like Like x 8
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know it’s :deadhorse: but it is sooo weird not to see Ariel or Brooke in these.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LutherIsMyDog

(Not sure where to post this so I'll post it here.)

Karen touring Texas with our new AD talking up Texas.

• Like Like x 3
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I guess if agreeing with someone makes you the same person, then so be it. There are several things I don't care for in KA's perona... the negative body language, the constant scowl, etc. However it's not her duty to please me - or anyone else - with her personality. My only VALID complaint with her coaching is her lack of variety in her strategy. I want to see her evolve and incorporate some different stuff... at this point I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Four of the 13 players currently on the 2018-19 roster are seniors (Jordan, Mide, LaShann and Jatarie) but I expect this to Sug's team.

Brooke and Ariel showed the way last year. The seniors will help in continuing to push the envelope further with Sug and Jordan being vocal leaders as well.

The willingness to hold each other accountable during practice, drills, games during the summer and the season to the high standard that makes reaching their goals more likely should be ingrained by now after several seasons.

• Like Like x 5
  11. LutherIsMyDog

Destiny is promoting the Texas Basketball Camp. I've believe Destiny has the type of personality that will connect with recruits and summer campers. If she can stay healthy, Destiny can have a break out year next season.

• Like Like x 11
  12. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

So glad to see her involvement. I was personally concerned for awhile, but I’ve seen some very positive involvement from the two remaining 2017s that leave me encouraged. #HookEm

• Like Like x 4
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Same here (concerned) but it looks like the Cali girl who got almost no playing time was the most solid freshman at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 4
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Okay, so I still have to figure how to insert a tweet so that the video plays.
    Screenshot (119).png

Screenshot (118).png

• Like Like x 3
  15. LutherIsMyDog

I can't believe LaShann will be a Senior next season.

• Like Like x 4
  16. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

With the addition of Danni, if everything comes together this team can be really good. The Point Guard position will now be the key. With adding Danni and with what’s returning,Texas is in really good shape compared to other teams that lost valuable players. UCLA, Ohio State, South Carolina, Mississippi State, and even UConn.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

I am not sure why you think the point guard position will be a weakness for next year's team. We have Alecia Sutton who has proven herself and Chasity Patterson who was the top ranked point guard in the nation for the 2017. Also Destiny can handle the point if necessary? If anything the point is a strength for the 2018-19 team!

• Like Like x 3
  18. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I didn’t say it would be a weakness. It’s obviously the most important position on the floor. I don’t doubt Sug’s or Chasity’s ability, but experience will be a factor.

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

At the moment, it appears as if we will have a full 15-player roster. Obviously, staying healthy is a key as that has affected us (and other programs) just about every season recently.

If Danni can make a similar impact as Jatarie White this past season, we will be in great shape.

My starting lineup (and the backups):

Center: Jatarie, Sedona, Olamide
    PF: Joyner, Charli, Jordan
    SF/W: Danni, Jada, Shae
    SG: Lashann, Destiny, Audrey
    PG: Sug, Chasity, Joanne

We'll see where Audrey and Joanne fit in best in the backcourt. And, Destiny mentioned in a recent article that she would play some at PG next season.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  20. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Point Guard. THE most important position on the court. The QB of your team. If you don’t have a good one........your team will struggle. I think the team will struggle early next year until that settles. Sutton can be that good QB.....but was..inconsistent last year. Patterson.....not ready early last year regardless of her recruit ranking and showed just flashes late. Littleton......not ready now and not a point guard even though she says she can play there. Taylor......she says she is a 2-guard so believe her. Higgs.......perhaps the best point guard potential...but plays more like a point 2-guard. Lots of prospects with potential........all unproven right now. By the end it will all play out like it should and we’ll have decent to good point guard play. Sutton and Higgs are the keys. I wish I had the optimism that Ellis has.......but right now I don’t see it as a strength. I would love for all the players to step up and show me.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Huh, I never did see PG as a problem for this coming season.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I’m reserving judgment until the first few games. Sug has had very good games (4-6 assists, 1 TO) but also the occasional 2 assists-4/5 TO outing off the bench. The Longhorns just need steady play from the position, nothing otherworldly. I think she can be what the team needs plus but I’m in wait-and-see mode.

23. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I may be in the minority here, but I think Sug will be a much better player as a starter. She has this whole summer to prepare herself to be the leader and floor general, and IMO I think she will take advantage of the opportunity. Chasity also looked a LOT better toward the end of the season. I'm in agreement with BabHorn, I don't think we have any worries at PG.

• Like Like x 1
  24. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I sure hope ya’ll are correct. Aston admits she is really tough on point guards.......just expects a lot. Sutton and Higgs have the physical tools. Patterson maybe. In a lot of posts I have expoused the theory that folks will step up once they see the responsibility is all on them. Guess I better stay with that. I think they will be good(or better than good)....especially later. Hope sooner. I just can’t get out of my mind McCarty on the break......and just having this comfort that she will make the right decision ....or bring it back out and get a better set-up. I am going to need some coaching from ya’ll to quit comparing other point guards to McCarty. She is gone. The others will be fine.....just different. Remind me.

• Like Like x 4
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

One of the criticisms of Danni expressed by aggie was her inability to slide over and play the one when the PG needed a rest. At Texas, that is not something that should come up, with Sug starting, Chasity as backup, with LaShann having gained some PG experience last season, Destiny's willingness to play PG and, likely, one of the frosh also able to play PG, although that may not be their primary position.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with our discussion about our PGs. :smile1: I just found it funny that aggie thinks that Danni will expected to be able to play PG when Sug goes out for a rest. I don't think that's why we recruited her. Do have to wonder if that expectation at A&M had something to do with her leaving.

• Like Like x 4
  26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, neither Sug nor Chasity appear to have caved in under Karen's expectations at PG. Especially Sug, she is well aware of what Karen expected from a PG.

And, as much as I really liked Brooke, she was hardly infallible, not as a senior nor as a frosh. I am sure she will be the first to say that. Where Sug has to show some improvement is in her 3pt shot. It's not as good as Brooke's but Sug is a good shot from BTA. The fastbreak with Sug was just as deadly as with Brooke. For Sug, the biggest issue will be that she does not have Ariel running one lane on the break like Brooke enjoyed for four years. But her (Sug's) passing should be very effective, especially with Joyner back in peak condition.

Those summer player run scrimmages are going to be important to get everyone used to playing together, especially the newbies, including Danni.

• Like Like x 3
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

One area that I hope Sug and the other players improve on is their man-to-man defense it wasn’t very effective last year. And as I stated in another thread hopefully Coach Aston will work on playing zone defense.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For Danni, I think she will help fill Ariel's void and play both SG and SF. I honestly believe she will be our SF starter come November. It really benefits our entire team that she will enroll in June. I know at A&M she was asked to do a lot of things offensively, and she rarely left the court. It will be interesting to see how we use her.

Her offensive rebounding stats were basically non-existent at A&M; so, she wasn't asked to crash the boards (like Ariel did for us). That also explains why she rarely got into foul trouble (like Ariel did for us). My biggest hope for us is that she is our "zone buster"; having her as a 3-point threat is a huge benefit. We know other teams will be packing it in trying to guard Jatarie, Joyner, Charli, and Sedona.

When I compared Danni's free throw stats the last two seasons, there was a huge dropoff in her attempts this past season. Obviously, Chennedy was the one getting fouled as she had the ball in her hands a lot; guessing that had an effect. It will be very important for us to get Danni to the free throw line as much as possible if she is an 80%+ FT shooter. So, we still need her to drive to the basket.

I am just thrilled with her addition. It's a very late and surprising gift. Would not have worked out had we not had the two recent departures from the team. Timing really is everything!

• Like Like x 7
  29. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Love you Destiny. I can not wait to see you hit the floor.
    Hookem'

• Like Like x 1
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Wow. The coach/trainer explains why she’s shooting from that distance.

• Like Like x 8