Speculations for Next Year

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Dr. D, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Ariel and Brooke were two of our most productive 3-point shooters over the last 4 years. Now, we have several newcomers or unproven underclassmen backcourt players who will need to pick up the slack: Danni, Chasity, Destiny, Joanne, and Audrey. Danni is mature and experienced, but new to our program; still, I am counting on her the most to fill that long-range shooting void. Chasity and Destiny came out of high school with reputations as elite 3-point shooters, but just didn't get the chance to show it as true freshmen last season.; we need them to step up their games in a big way as sophomores. Trying not to expect too much from Joanne and Audrey, so tempering any ideas

I do expect (starting) veteran guards Alecia and Lashann to at least match their 3-point production from last season; but, not expecting them to shoot and make as many 3-pointers as Ariel and Brooke did. This will be Alecia's first year to be a full-time starter, so anxious to see how many shots (and from where on the court) she takes as a junior.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Sug shot a respectable 35% from three point range with a decent amount of attempts. 35% and higher is what you want a player to shoot from the three point line so hopefully she can duplicate that as a Jr. I do think that there will be a slight drop off as a team but not much in that area.

Defensively is really the area that I’m interested in seeing. For all the talk about the Texas offense it was actually very good last year but the defense was sub par. Hopefully we’ll see Coach Aston use more zone along with the man to man this year.

3. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

More zone than the one half we saw last year? (I don't remember even a half from the year before.)

4. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I think that playing more zone will help next year depending on the opposing teams personnel. Especially if Danni is a starter or gets a lot of minutes. Although I do think that having Sedona as a shot blocker/ rim protector when she’s in the game allows you to play more man to man.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  5. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

They look amazing. Couldn’t quite make out the first player featured. Anybody?

Joyner is looking fit and ripped in the last shot. Wish the season could start tomorrow!

HookEm!

• Like Like x 2
  6. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

In the first scene where the players are jumping over the short metal risers, the first player jumping is Joyner. Jada follows Joyner. I agree that Joyner looks amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Joyner putting on a gun show at the very end. I couldn’t make out any of the freshman but Danni made an appearance.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Kurupt, there have zone proponents for years on this board, or at least proponents of changing up defenses according to situations. We have forever been frustrated. I agree with you, but don't get your hopes up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My sentiments exactly.

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I still don't see how you miss the times that Texas has played zone. True, it hasn't been all game or all of a half but the team has definitely played zone.

It's not like Coach is struck on just man to man. It is the primary defense but not the only one used.

11. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

BabHorn, I watched every game last year and saw one half of zone. Possibly a few moments at other times. But never as much as 5 minutes other than that one half. And the year before, I recall even less. I don't know what you are seeing that I am not. I think Karen is absolutely dedicated to man-to-man, that her whole defensive game rests on it. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm missing something. But that's how it looks to me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Karen Aston is a dyed-in-the-wool man to man coach but, with the length she’s going to be able to put on the floor over the next few seasons, it would be puzzling if we didn’t see more zone - especially against teams that don’t shoot very well from distance. In situations where Joyner, Charli and Sedona are on the floor together, a 2-3 zone defense could be very effective and conserve the players’ energy.

• Like Like x 3
  13. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

I don't think Joyner, Charli, and Sedona should be all on the floor at the same time. Joyner can play the 4 and the 5, but not the 3. She has the athleticism and handling skills, but not the shooting range.

Funny thing is, I think we will become a post-heavy team next season. Joyner, Jatarie, Charli, and Sedona is probably one of the best post rotations in the country.

• Like Like x 4
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don’t disagree with you about Joyner’s shooting range but, from what I’ve seen, Charli has range out the 3 (not sure about %) and Sedona is effective from midrange - leaving Joyner under the basket against a very likely undersized defender for rebounds and put backs. That being said - I agree that it’s unlikely we see all 3 on the court together for significant minutes.

15. LutherIsMyDog

Positive thought of the day from Chasity Patterson.

Chaz recently became an aunt.

• Like Like x 4
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  17. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas WBB names new video coordinator: Kelby Jones.:hookem2:

• Like Like x 5
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I noticed that earlier today on the staff page - just assumed I missed the announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think all of us can remember a few of these last season. This ranks right up there with an unnecessary, early-in-the-shot-clock 3-pt attempt from a non-shooter in terms of putting my tv in danger.

• Like Like x 3
  20. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Our upper classmen putting in the work!

• Like Like x 5
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 7
  22. GameOfHorns

GameOfHorns 250+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
  23. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 4
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

For those trying to keep track:

Departures:
    • Tina Thompson (Associate Head Coach) - Head Coach at Virginia
    • Jama Sharp (Video Coordinator) - followed Tina to UVA
    • Fran Harris (Coordinator of Community Engagement) - followed Tina to UVA

Adds/Promotions:
    • Jamie Carey (Assistant Coach) - Promoted to Associate Head Coach
    • Tiffany Jackson (Professional Basketball) - Assistant Coach (PF/C)
    • Kelby Jones (Grad Assistant) - Video Coordinator
    • Alan Major (Ohio State: Men's Director of Recruiting and Player Development) -Director of Player Development

• Like Like x 3
  25. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. It can’t do anything but help to basically have another assistant coach with a lot of experience on the team.

• Like Like x 2
  26. LutherIsMyDog

Alan Major has an impressive background. I like the timing of his hire as he will be on campus when the 2019 recruits and their families visit this fall. Since he coached at Ohio State from 2004-2010 and 2016-17, he's familiar with the area of the country where Zia Cooke (Ohio) and Rickea Jackson (Michigan) play basketball.

Here's a link to Alan Major's website

https://www.coachmajor.com/

• Like Like x 1
  27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

team bonding. Looks like an awesome meal. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know we got questions! :smile1:

• Like Like x 3
  29. LutherIsMyDog