Speed, Speed, Speed NOT

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by longhornlegend, Oct 5, 2020.

1. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

It is striking to see that we have only Josh Moore in the WR corp who seem to be able to run away from defenders. This has to be the slowest speed class Texas has had in years. there is zero fear from the D that our players are a risk. The freshman running back had a good return to open the mistake filled game but you just dont see our WR, RB or DBs with difference making speed. Think back to Duvernay last year. He had jets. Jake may and Jordan W. may but they have to stay healthy and they have to be put into routes that hit them on the run instead of having to adjust to the ball. Maybe then we can see some run away plays.

2. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

The Horns might have a speed threat in Jake if only he would catch the ball before turning to run.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Wasn't it Jamison that ran the kickoff back?

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It was Bijan Robinson. Jamison returns some kicks but mostly returns punts ... always makes me nervous since he could either return it for a TD or run it backwards 10 yards and then fumble it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  5. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Robinson was out there first and ran 99 yards and penalty made them kick again. Jamison was out there next.

6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Ok and robinson was run down from behind. We do have relatively slow running backs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Was he?

8. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Robinson was out there for the first kick and had a short return. Then on the re-kick it was Jamison that ran it back.

9. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Please correct me if wrong, but I don't think Bijan ever came back in the game in any capacity after the KO return. Maybe a hamstring or something? Did anyone hear?

He "sort of" was run down; the guy had the angle, and Bijan was carrying a football, but yes, he's no Jamaal Charles. (Like, who is?)

10. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I don't think this is right.

11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It was robinson that ran the ball all the way to the one yard line. And he was ran down from behind after he used up an angle. I just saw the replay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

UR right, it was Robinson on both of the first two. I had #5 Jamison in my brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Both Robinson and Jamison wear #5. The announcer kept saying it was Robinson, but it was actually Jamison on the return(s).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Ignore the announcer.
    Watch the tape.
    Ignore the announcer some more.
    Look at the player. If you don't recognize them, read the name on the back of their jersey.
    Continue to ignore the announcer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

So I had said above that after that play, I never saw Bijan in the game. If he wasn’t in on that play, is it that he never did play?

17. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I don't recall seeing Bijan play at all vs. TCU.

18. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Herman doesn't play him because Tom's afraid Bijan might fumble in a crucial situation. Juniors and seniors never fumble near the goal line, or on critical plays. At least this is what the binder says.

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Ouch, are things so bad that we brought out the binder?!? Geez, I'm out of touch!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

You must be having Mack Brown flashbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

announcers even said once, Ehlinger is also playing linebacker

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  22. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

Jamison seems to have the breakaway jets. No one else. Been a problem for a few years now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

That's a Mack Brown thing for sure (see Cedric Benson/OU game freshman year)

24. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Huh? Probably more has to do with his injury.

25. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I don't know about 40 times, but it was very evident that TCU was playing much faster than we were.
    BTW, they looked stronger also.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Let’s see, they were

stronger
    Faster
    Hungrier
    Better coached.

how did we lose that game?

27. zuckercanyon

Sabre, with all of our super recruiting classes, how is it possible that TCU's players were stronger/faster? The answer is that Texas is not one of the country's most talented teams.....an answer to those here that insist we're "so talented" we should just dominate TCU. There's holes in this team that can only be overcome by winning, resulting in consistent/top tier recruiting results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

No its that we're so talented that if we had anyone who could coach we would win championships and never lose to a mediocre at best TCU team and have to score 60+ points to beat Tech.

29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Zucker,

I think you answered your own question. We have immense talent, but no TEAM. The coaches have allowed multiple factions among this group. NO TEAM, just a collections of groups that have never, and will never perform as one unit. That's on Herman and his stupidity, lack of common sense, and lack of leadership.

While not nearly the same, the best example I can give you is the UIL large division champions. I would submit to you that from 1945 thru 2015, the most talented team won the championship only THREE times. Why? coaching & teamwork. Otherwise how does a team with NO D-1 signees beat a team with 7?

Texas is a collection of individuals - puppets/non puppets; team players & those eaten up with I-itis; those grateful for an education/those you owe me.

Mack Brown was great at keeping the unit together; DKR was hardnosed on my way or the hiway; Herman is clueless but knows he is a member of Mensa and has a binder.

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. zuckercanyon

Well, when you put it THAT way.....