Spring 2008 yard care thread

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by SynTex, Feb 3, 2008.

1. taco

taco 250+ Posts

can anyone recommend someone to aerate my lawn in South Austin. Need someone that won't break the sprinklers while doing this.

2. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

taco,

Try Real Green lawn care.

I have a step-on core aerator I bought a HD for 20 bucks or so. It takes about 2 hours to do my yard and it's hard work, but i don't have to worry about some machine chewing up sprinklers (which I don't have anyway) or shallow buried cable.

3. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

what about lawn aerating? What's the easiest way to do it? Most of the aerators I've seen are hitched to tractors, is there something available by hand?

When's the best time to aerate your lawn?

4. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

SynTex, I have something similar to this:The Link

5. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

4 times a week? I wish i had a sprinkler system...I'm lucky to do once a week in the summer.

Generally, I think you'd be better off just doing 2 deep waterings a week unless you have new sod. Besides, with the dry year we're shaping up for, you'll likely run afoul of the law if you water anytime other than your specified days (which in Austin will work out to twice a week).

6. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

My understanding is that you should (in summer months) water 1 time per week ~1" at a time and do so in the early morning (to reduce evaporation and watering at night can cause fungus). This promotes deep roots. Watering 4 times per week promotes shallow roots. My neighbors water like 4 times per week. I told them that they can borrow my book (book) but they have yet to take me up on it. I'm not going to force it on them.

Another thing, City of Austin now has regulated days you can water. I have an odd # address and can only water on Wed. and Sat. unless watering by hand. I have a sprinkler system that I use. I currently cut back to 1 time every 2 weeks at ~1/2" per time

7. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

So I did put down Corn Gluten on Sunday last week. Watered immediately about 1/2" afterwards.

I bought a 40 pound bag at Natural Gardener. I used a push broadcast type spreader. It was powdery as all get out. My legs were completely yellow afterwards. Fortunately this stuff is not poisonous and is in fact in many food products. I think I bought it last time at Lowe's and it was 100% CGM but more pellot (sp?) like than powdery.

8. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

To hell with the lawn....

Garden ,Garden, Garden!

9. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

10. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

After putting down the corn gluten does one still have to fertilize? If so, when and any recommenations as to what to look for??

11. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

12. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

for what it's worth, Home Depot rents mechanical aerators for $62/day. I'm picking one up on Saturday and splitting the cost with a buddy. This aerator actually removes the dirt clumps and brings them to the top of the surface.

I assume I'm going to have to be careful with this thing around the sprinkler heads.

As far as the corn gluten, it does have fertilizing characteristics, but you should put it down now if you haven't done so already. Use a fertilizer like Ladybug in April/May. Now that I've been using corn gluten for about a year and a half, I can already tell a major difference in the amount of weeds in my lawn right now versus some of the neighbors.

13. ballrific

ballrific 500+ Posts

does home depot sell corn gluten?

14. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

I haven't seen it at HD, but it is at Lowes. Look for "Concern Weed Prevention Plus". HD may carry it.

15. RoundRock Horn

RoundRock Horn 25+ Posts

If anyone has a gardening question I own a garden center in Round Rock and love to talk about lawns, gardening and out door living. Do you guys know what I call aggy?........employees.

16. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

The HD I go to does not carry Corn Gluten. I bought it at Lowe's last November and I bought it at Austin Natural Gardener in Feb.

I will likely buy the Lowe's one next time but I couldn't remember where I got it. It was more pellet form than the Natural Gardener (which was pellet as well but very powdery and got everywhere).

17. RoundRock Horn

RoundRock Horn 25+ Posts

The pellets are going to be more and more prevelent as the industry moves forward. There is no real difference between the two except that you don't want to apply the powder when windy. One other concern I have heard from customers is the cost has risen $5 a bag this year. I understand their concern but because of the cost of corn there is not much our indusrty can do.

18. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

The powdery stuff was a pain in the butt. My legs looked like they were painted yellow when I finished. I almost got naked in the backyard and basically hosed myself off before coming inside.

19. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

If you want to buy Corn Gluten try Callaghan's.

There is one on S 183 near the airport and a feed store in Cedar Park a block off 183 behind the Ace Hardware (Former Callaghan's General Store).

Cheaper per pound than other places and larger bags.

20. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

Hey Round Rock Horn, how do I get rid of Asian Jasmine ground cover? It seems immune to most forms of brush killer.

21. RoundRock Horn

RoundRock Horn 25+ Posts

While I don't really like a chemical product Ortho Bursh-b-gone should take care of the problem. If you want to go organic you might try 20% Vinager (I suggest Blackjack 21). Any Garden Center that sells organic products should have it.

22. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

I live up in Round Rock. Which gardening center do you own?

23. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Roundrock, what do you recommend to get rid of onion grass?

24. RoundRock Horn

RoundRock Horn 25+ Posts

To answer the onion grass question. Once again there is not a safe organic that can be spread over the whole yard so spot applying Blackjack 21 to each weed would work. As a chemical option Image nutgrass Killer would be very easy. Put Image into a hose end sprayer and go. In April after treating for weeds get your fertilizer down. A healthy yard will choke out most weeds. I recomend Lady Bug 8-2-4 or Milorganite both are organic and best on the market. I own round Rock Gardens.

25. SynTex

SynTex 100+ Posts

that's what I guessed. I go there fairly regularly. Excellent place!

26. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

Okay. I "Imaged" the front and back today. To take care of the onion grass and try to get a handle on the crab grass. I have been pulling, but it is a losing battle right now.

I decided against the rip and resod I mentioned a few weeks ago in this thread. Got a quote from ABC Pest and Lawn to do the aerate and top dress with Dillo Dirt thing. Going to give the Image 3 weeks to take effect and then hire ABC to do their deal.

Question: have a few yaupon shrubs that are starting to get overgrown and their position means they are starting to grow into the sidewalk and entry walk to my house. They are about 20 years old and about hip height. If I trim them with the hedge trimmers from a rounded shape to a more square shape like people do with boxwood, will it fill in?

27. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Gardner,

Are they Dwarf Yaupons or regular? Must be Dwarf if they are that old and only hip height. I would trim them back about 2" at a time and see what happens, but you will probably have big gaps that don't ever fill in right if you have to take off 6" or more.

You could trim them into a miniature tree form, somthing that looked like a Bonsai or move them.

28. Gardner Barnes

Gardner Barnes 250+ Posts

TexasEd: That is what I figured. I think I will just trim them a bit and move them when I start a large landscape project later this year.

Shame.

29. valencia

valencia 100+ Posts

I was told not to use dillo dirt do to the high concentration of merury in it.

30. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

How would Dillo Dirt get high concentrations of mercury?