Spring 2022 practice reports

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Sangre Naranjada, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Or just aim such that you account for the drift!

2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He was also usually running for his life or trying to get the pass off before being pancaked.
    Maybe a decent O-line makes a difference?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Naaaah, that can't be it. It's all on the skill guys, you ought to know that by now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Ewers will start, whether it’s in Game 1 or by Game 3 after Bama. If that doesn’t happen, outside of an injury, I’ll be shocked. That is, unless Card beats Bama, which would be an even bigger shocker.

Sark understands that he made a mistake last year starting Card over Thompson, because Card was apparently the better “practice” player. He won’t make the same mistake this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

In practice last year he didn’t face much pressure from our d-line. When the pass-pro went to **** during games, Card was exposed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Want to see a bunch of these this year. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Oops!

• Like Like x 3
  9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

^^^ Hats off to Moon for some great updates / info from spring camp! :bow:

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

On the 25 yard line, I want to see throws to the sideline near the EZ, throws to middle of field at 10 yard line, or handoff to Bijan. A defense cannot defend all 3 options at once.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

He had 1 other issue...hanging on to the ball too long. The O.L. struggled mightily to give the QB 3 seconds in the pocket. Card frequently held the ball 3-3+ seconds, meaning he was about to / was being / had been hit when he released the ball. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I summarized that as it looked like the game was moving too fast for him which is common with young players. Hopefully he learned and it's slowed down some for him.

13. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

In my opinion, for Card, it’s all pass protection. Snap, play action, drop back, look at first WR option—oh no, LB jumped the route—look for second option—oops, too late you just got blindsided. So maybe the coach says, hang in there, that’s not your fault; keep looking downfield and we are going to get that fixed. Repeat situation 7 times. Now either the player or coach or both start to say, well, I guess you’ll realistically have to spend half your drop back watching the OL unraveling while you peek downfield and hope to see a WR that might be open. Dance a bit, buy a half second, give up your footwork if necessary to avoid taking another sack. Oh wait, amazing! You just saw a streaking WR open 40 yards downfield, and even though you haven’t been able to track him with your eyes to gauge speed and distance, and you are off balance, hell, just throw it because this may be your only chance. Oh, incomplete. This guy sucks at long passes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

VY,

I am hoping that Sark realizes the physical attributes of Mayor - his 4.4 speed and the highest vertical leap I recall at Texas with the possible exception of James Lott and uses that ability to go up and get errant throws.

That said, the only thing I would add to your observation is that I hope Sark has been able to help Card read defenses.

15. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Well, this is what I am not in a position to know. Maybe if he could read defenses better, he would naturally be looking at the most likely open receiver first, and get the ball out before the rapid sack. Seems like the defense is to quick rush or blitz, jump the short route, and assume the 2nd and third options, or double moves never materialize. Anyway, all I’m saying is that Card can physically throw a very accurate deep ball, but all these other issues are why he hasn’t. Swing passes to Bijan were supposed to keep the defenses honest, but I don’t even remember why that didn’t work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The Arkansas game proved that we don't have the quickness in lateral movement... particularly on the OL. Guys were getting blown by and there wasn't even time to set up a semi-meaningful swing pass. And by the time Casey came in, it was way too late.

If we had to do that one over again, Brewer and Davis/Helm would be lined up at H and we use more misdirection. We needed all the help we could get, and all Sark would do is look dumbfounded at Card taking sacks and throwing the ball away.

The bigger problem was giving up 7 ypc, but I'll put that on Coach K and the bend-but-also-break D.

17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Moon :coolnana:
    All these years of hearing it on the oldies stations
    That song finally makes sense:yes:

19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'm still trying to figure out if Blinded by the Light, or maybe Blindsided is most appropriate.

20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Somebody pick me up some gear at the spring game. I’ll pay you back…..

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

....future tv spot there for Ewers for a popular Johnson and Johnson hair product

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. RainH2burntO

No...you could not be wrong on hornfans.

...or is it "right"?? :idk:

23. RainH2burntO

"...wake up like a douche and uhna womurn en-un night"

Don't lie...be honest now...

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Moon, Once again :hookem:
    Anybody, is there another coach in America you would rather have here right now and for the future of UT?

• Like Like x 1
  26. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Gettin' FIRED UP! for the Saturday Spring Game!!! :yippee:

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, but after that everything goes dead for a few months. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Dont have longhorn network. Not until fall.
    Hope somebody records it and posts it.

30. RainH2burntO

We did well in the transfer portal...but mostly skill positions again. We sure could have used a couple experienced trench guys on offense to bridge us until next year. They just dont grow on trees.
    I hope those dudes get coached up...and stay healthy. You saw what just one injury on the oline did last year when Okafor went down.
    For the record, only about 5 or 6 schools in the NCAA have steong, talented oline depth, so...
    But.. if we want to change the world..
    Better start our days with talent and depth at oline.
    (And I believe they are moving in the right direction..we'll see)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2