Spring Ball

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Found it.

“I think we still need to find a consistent, productive right tackle. Those other four guys may be the national championship year at Ohio State that I was a part of, that might be the only other offensive line that could compare with these guys. So I'm excited to see them play.”

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...onnor-williams-tristan-nickelson-patrick-vahe

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Well, we did have an injury bug. You take the best 2/3 of the best players out of any position group (Williams, Rodriguez, Hudson) and there will be scrambling and loss of performance. I think we stand in a little better shape with more experience/strength should that happen again during the 2018 season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I think you pretty much nailed it.

Sam should start and be on a pretty short leash.

I think Shane can be a very effective QB behind a good O'line. If he gets the opportunity because of Sam's brain farts and he produces behind a good O'line, he could very well end up the starter for the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

it's a fair point. we just don't know what we have yet.

5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Yep, whenever we have a solid two deep (or even 1.5 deep) at the OL I'll let myself get a wee bit (and only a wee bit) excited about that group.
    We do have potential but that really doesn't seem to count for much when it comes to an OL. Seems the only recipe for a good OL slowly building on the small successes that happen on the field and that only happens through consistency (which we have had none for years due to coaching turnover, injuries and attrition for years).

As they say, potential just means they aint done **** yet and that goes 2x for OL

6. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Because the spring is SLOW -

I had a post about Sam Ehlinger being good in 2018 and got several naysayers. So I will go on record here and make my 2018 SH prediction. Assuming he stays relatively healthy I predict:

2,700+ yards passing; 18 TDs; 7 INTs; 600 yards rushing; 5 rushing TDs. Total all purpose yardage of 3,300 and 23 TDs.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Seeing guys play tends to temper what you see based on their physical makeup. I have no doubt they looked the part to someone who hadn't seen them in game. I kind of feel like this is what caught Herman off-guard more than anything else. You just don't think an OL at a school like Texas could POSSIBLY be that bad. And you see the athletes and figure, hey, a change of leadership, a new start, and these guys will turn it around.

I'm hearing enough from practice about improvements in technique and movement and strength that I'm letting myself be cautiously optimistic about having a two-deep that is competent. It could be even better than that, but I'm definitely not ready to think about that yet.

If we can get enough line play to average 4 per carry and throw four or five deep balls per game, this offense looks a LOT different.

10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  11. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

This is why I find it odd when a new coach comes in and says he will not even look at film from the previous year.
    I understand the concept, but I would think you would at least want an idea of what you are inheriting.

12. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

DAMN! Look at that bicep / arm!!!:bow:

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Big deal. How big are his calves?

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yardage might be in the ballpark if he plays 12 games. However, minimum 12 INT's, 24 fumbles (12 lost) if he is #1 for 12 games. The INT's and fumbles will get him pulled in several games. However, history says he will get hurt and lose significant time.

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I promise I'm not going to go Texags on y'all and comment on his forearms.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I’m really not impressed with the forearms to be honest.

Seriously though, Kirk needs to stay healthy and make an impact this year. He has showed flashes of badassery.

17. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

....Must have been the burnt orange uni's with the horns on the helmets that influenced him
    :hookem:

18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Ehlinger is way better than what the naysayers seem to remember.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

VY, I certainly hope you’re right because what I remember, vividly, were some very troubling “results.” The issue is between his ears, not in his physical ability.

• Like Like x 2
  21. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Really, two bad throws only. Forcing a ball into the end zone in OT (while running for his life) against OSU, and the INT late against Tech.

For a true freshman, with a terrible line, he really didn’t do that badly. I think he is a poor-mans Tim Tebow.

22. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Are you sure you’re not rewriting history?

“Only two bad throws?”
    “Running for his life against OSU?”

Ehlinger seems to be either a miracle or a meltdown waiting to happen. The meltdowns killed us last year. We shouldn’t need the miracles this year so if TH chooses Sam as his guy, the extent to which he succeeds will come down to judgment and game management. From what I have seen so far, it’s hard to be confident.

Let’s see if he grows from year 1 to year 2. Regardless of all the hoopla we are going to hear between now and 9/1/18, we really won’t know until he is tested, in crunch time. If he can get it together between his ears, he could be something special. But until I see it, I will remain skeptical.

• Like Like x 1
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I think Tebow is a poor mans Ehlinger.
    Sam has more upside if he progresses as expected.

24. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Wow! That is a huge compliment to Sam. I have seen nothing to support that statement. Tebow took his team to heights rarely seen. Sam needs to at least win a conference title before one could rationally say he might have the potential to take his team to two national titles like tebow did.

Yes, Sam has shown a running ability that is above average for a QB. He has a gladiator's guts and mentality. He wants to lead this team.

Yet, Sam made numerous bad decisions last year and threw many passes that resulted in missing open receivers, often ones in deep patterns costing us TD's. He could not read defenses. He turned the ball over. He threw horrific interceptions, two of which clearly lost the game (osu and ttu). Two others that reversed our positive momentum of the moment (wvu and ou). And he fumbled at the goal line against usc.

This^^^ is the conclusion I also came to based on the season I watched last year.

• Like Like x 2
  25. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Yesterday’s Scrimmage from 247

All 4 qb’s were said to have a good day duvernay seems to be leading the wr pack with ljh not far behind

Both running backs played well carter and young

Beck and Reese doing well at the te position helping to improve on the run blocking

Defensive line had an okay day and sterns had a pick against 2nd team offense

• Like Like x 2
  26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Tebow was QB for one MNC.
    Chris Leaks lead the team the first time.
    I think Tebow had some goal line packages as a freshman.
    Tebow is just another Gino Torretta or Craig Krenzel as far as I'm concerned.
    The media made him into something he was not.

With or without a MNC, Sam has the potential to be a better QB than Tebow ever was.
    Tebow's mechanics were horrible.
    He was a fullback playing QB.
    I would recruit Sam over Tebow any day.
    You are insulting Sam to say he is a poor mans Tebow.

And I'm not even saying Sam should start over Shane.

• Like Like x 1
  27. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Due to off-field identity and pro career, lots of people have a negative view of Tim Tebow, but he was one of the most successful college players of our time. Thus, I hesitated to straight-up liken Sam to him, but I see similarities. Tough guy, natural leader, good runner, pretty good passer; willing when nothing else works to keep a play alive and make a first down.

Last year, we were almost always in the “nothing else works/broken play is the only play” mode. We NEEDED Sam to play that way on almost every play. That doesn’t mean he has terrible judgment or football IQ. Let’s just wait and see!

• Like Like x 4
  28. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

So, if Sam has “only” the resume of 2 NCs 1 Heisman, 3 conference MVPs 88 TDs 16 INTs (2d. highest all-time passing efficiency), 57 rushing TDS , 2 conf championships, 3000 rushing yards, 9200 passing yards, academic all-American—-he wouldn’t have met his potential?!

• Like Like x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

VY,

I won't argue the facts, but shall invite you to go back and watch every play that Sam was at QB. Did he make a couple of bad throws, which arguably cost us a game? Undeniably, but then we should never have been in that situation to begin with.

What is far more troublesome to me is the high number of passes not thrown because he canNOT read a defense. WRs wide open and never seen. Staring down receivers. Yes, he was pressured, but when he only makes one read, the defense reacts to his lack of ability to find secondary receivers. He either corrects that or becomes the leading salesman for Red McCombs at a Monday car dealership.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Glad to hear these two talented guys are having a good spring. They could make big contributions this year.

• Like Like x 2