Spring Ball

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I've heard that aggy males have a special exercise they do to pump up their forearms, at least on their dominant arm.

• Like Like x 3
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You know what they say.
    "Stats are for losers."
    I'm talking lifelong potential here.
    So, Tom Brady didn't have that kind of college success.
    Tebow is better than Brady?
    Better than Colt?
    Montana?

Tebow was a product of the team around him, system, OC and yes he was a gritty competitor that was big for a QB and could run.
    But, again, his mechanics sucked and he was going no further than college as a QB.
    I think Sam has a career in front of him if he progresses and learns to read defenses better and make better game time decisions.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Jane Fonda may have Jazzercise, but the Ags have Jizzercise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

You likely are seeing nuances I don’t see, so that’s good. Still, at the college level, a good runner can parlay it into an artificially good passing game, as Tebow and Vince Young showed. Plus a lot of others. Didn’t it seem like he made one read, and if it wasn’t open, he knew he had to run for his life before the pocket collapsed—whereas Shane would look for the next read and get blasted on the spot?

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This was true some of the time for sure. Shane's reads would have gotten quicker with experience. He kept getting hurt, losing playing time, and not getting the in game experience necessary to develop at the pace needed.

Shane's predisposition is to look for his progressions, whereas it seems Sam's instinct is to exit the pocket and look for run lanes. Both have value, obviously. Who can integrate these skills, and quickly adapt will be the starter. Both skills require reps and game experience. Colt was a great example of a kid who progressed mightily from his freshman year to his senior year, with a sophomore slump (interception issues) in the mix.
    But as we gleefully saw, Colt's trend was up, up and up. Hope one or both of these young men can do the same.

6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Staying healthy being the caveat, I still like Shane.

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think we still need to use both of them. I know that's not a recipe for a College Football Playoff type of season, but neither has done enough to make the team better for the long haul. Shane seems to have a better pocket presence in spite of taking lots of hits, and Sam seems to be the kind of guy that teammates want to "take the reins" and improvise in order to provide a spark. We'll need both of those factors in 2018, especially if we have no running backs and are still trying to build an OL.

I think if Shane can show something beyond "what you see is what you get," and minimize the sacks and ill-timed picks, he's definitely a better overall QB than Sam. I just don't see Sam as someone who can ever minimize mistakes. He would need to create incredible plays in order to overcome his own pitfalls, like a TD drive after giving the opponent points on the prior possession. I'm still hoping our defense is good enough to keep us in games and rely on them to get the ball back after either QB fails to produce.

8. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not to dump on Tebow because I liked him, but I think the team took him to heights more than the other way around. He was surrounded by a lot of talent - far more than Elingher had. We'll see how that changes over time.

I'm really curious to see both these guys behind a line that will allow them consistent time to throw. I think/hope that will make a big difference.

My main concern with Elingher - aside from the bad decisions which I hope will clear up with experience - is that his arm strength is still pretty suspect, especially on deep balls. Too many shots downfield came up empty because he either underthrew it or missed badly because he was having to basically put everything he had into it. This team needs to take shots downfield and have success with it - way too many home run hitters in the receiver corps to not go over the top. If Shane can do that well, stay healthy, and run enough, he's a good option.

The issue I had with Shane is that he appeared to me to be too hesitant on pulling the trigger. He didn't take chances, but as a result, you've got a guy like Collin Johnson whose strength is catching in traffic (not getting separation) and he's not getting touches. I suspect a big part of that is that the QBs, and Shane particularly, haven't yet gotten to the point of throwing guys open yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This,^^^, 100%.
    Interestingly, I noticed this in his soph season, while not so much in his freshman season. Perhaps the difference in coaches, offensive philosophy, or something else caused this change. At any rate, Shane was more willing to go deep, pull the trigger as a freshman; and he had very good success until he got hurt in the Cal game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

So far, security has been tight at the practices. The staff recently got wind of some bloggers planning to use drones to video and post inside scoops.

The Hermanator is already working on countermeasures....

• Like Like x 9
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

It’s about time you delivered some spring ball updates. :clap:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

To be fair Dion, that was a tuff selfie for GodZ to take :idk:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

#burn

14. ProdigalHorn

**Live practice update!*** I'm standing by the gate at Memorial, and I can see the players setting up for drills. Looks like they're running through some 11-on-11. Now two guys are coming over. They look mad or something. Tell my wife I love her...

• Like Like x 10
  15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 3
  16. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

He was one hell of a poster. Gonna miss that bastard. :hookem:

• Like Like x 4
  17. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Alas, poor Prodigal... I knew him well.

• Like Like x 4
  18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yeah godz40, where ya been???
    You been over in Syria trying to negotiate peace? :catfight:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Prod knew the risks and carried out the mission anyway. A true Longhorn Legend.

• Like Like x 4
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I tried to tell him that all he had to do was say his name was Larry Lacewell, and all would be ok. You just can't help some people.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 6
  21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

My super-hot model CIA assassin wife said it was either her or here. I said her, but today she's not here.

Don't tell her I was here.

• Like Like x 5
  22. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

He took one from the team.

• Like Like x 3
  23. ProdigalHorn

First, thanks for the kind words. I just got back home having awoken in a ditch somewhere near Mopac with my hands tied with what looks like one of those student wristbands... Anyway I don't know how long I've been out. Did we win the championship yet?

BTW... this thread is why I will always love Hornfans. :D

• Like Like x 3
  24. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Dude you need to catch up, you've missed a lot. Texas football is on the NASDAQ and Bellmont is pooping gold bricks. Coach McCoy (Case) took over where Herman left off, nine straight nattys now. Bevo is afflicted with chronic BBS (Bovine Boner Syndrome) but he's not being treated because it's just impressive. Good times.

• Like Like x 10
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I notice you didn't tell him Hager now suffers from male pattern baldness. The one fly in the ointment...

• Like Like x 4
  26. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Alas, the years have not been too kind to Breckyn's hairline:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  27. ProdigalHorn

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. ProdigalHorn

If I had to pick one guy on the team that would end up in the WWE, it would definitely have been Breckyn.

29. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

30. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2