Spring Ball

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Roach is 6'3" and 270.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The punter looks more comfortable than Dickson as a freshman

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Roach, Hager, Omenihu, and Nelson (out today) is nasty.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Then there's Gary Johnson. I feel optimistic about the defense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Demarco Boyd is playing his *** off

• Like Like x 1
  6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Great throw by Shane would have gotten killed in a live game but beautiful ball

7. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

I like what I see from Rising. He looks like he has a live arm and seems like he plays the game with intensity. Not sure I saw anything out there that would lead me to believe we are not looking at another 7-6 season next year.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

#28 on defense is Durst from Conroe Oak Ridge who is a walk-on but expected to play some.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Imagine the defense with Nelson, D. Davis, Gary Johnson, and Locke.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Probably gonna' need more from the offense for sure. I think Dickason truly solved some problems last year.

11. Texas Lawhorn

Texas Lawhorn 100+ Posts

Agreed. The way Dickson flipped the field was probably worth 4 or 5 scores. Defense looked okay, but I expect they will be as good as last year when some of the injured starters return. I really believe in Orlando. The offensive line was not good and the running game was non-existent. Again, I know Rising is a true freshman but I really hope they give him a strong look.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I thought the O-line looked soft but maybe that's just spring ball. They are what they are. It would be tough to start a true freshman for what, the third year in a row? I expect Orlando to be gone after next year if the defense responds as they did last year. We need to show we are "rising" in order to keep the recruiting momentum. Hopefully Jimbo is over-rated and Riley had a good first year just because of Baker.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Horns win!!!!!! Now I'm waiting at gate 16 so my daughter can get Shane and Sam's autographs....yaaaaaayyyyyy me......

• Like Like x 4
  14. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Dad wins!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

:hookem:

16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

In the Fall, we will have 4 QB’s, 4 RB’s, and 4 TE’s.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Seems to me both QB’s did a better job looking downfield and releasing the ball quicker.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

The pre-game commentary seemed to focus heavily on Sam needing to throw anticipatory passes...

19. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

was there for a half---quick thoughts: LJH was best ground gaining player on the field, besides #11 (Not good, still no reliant running game)---Collin Johnson, along with Devin Duvernay, may finally both be living up to their expectations---the punter may have had a 60 yd punt (with the wind), but otherwise very average--not Dickson--JP Uriquidez did not have a very good game on OL, was sorry we didn't have #73 Hudson playing---I know these type games favor defense since we don't want to show our hand yet---was watching true freshmen on D #25 and 26 (I think)---man, excited to see DBU reincarnated--hey folks, my insight is free (and probably meaningless)--just hope QB play is more consistent, and can find a reliable running game

20. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

In fairness to the o-line, they played in different positions (according to Herman) and basically started both ways. So they were playing most of the game. That said, pass protection is still a real issue. I didn't expect us to run against our defense, and the speed we have back there just destroys anyone who wants to make a living dumping passes out in the flat - which is of course where this offense lives.

This defense is absolute fools gold for an offense that sees a guy out in the flat with nobody within 20 yards of him and thinks it's going to be a big play, only to end up with a modest 5 or 6 yards.

I thought Elingher looked better, both guys showed some flashes, but someone better figure out how to hit John Burt running down the field. That's kind of a big deal.

Calvin Anderson doesn't have to be a savior type player at this point to be a savior. He just needs to be a competent warm body. JP can't be anywhere near a starting lineup this year. The Hagar "incident" was absolutely embarrassing. (He actually should have been called for illegal motion on that play anyway.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  21. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Would have liked to see more of Rising

22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I was unable to make game but there is a lot of chatter about out there today about our QB play. When I was watching the replay, I was more drawn to the OL vs. DL battle. Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing?

25. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

From now on, the third category above will be known as pass eligible lineman or PEL. Using the other terminology leads to injuries.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Excellent point. We rarely have PEL injuries.

• Like Like x 2
  27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Thanks for posting the entire game... I forgot to record it before I left home. Will get to watch it again analyze more.

28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

A few observations on the offense from watching it this morning.

LJH and Johnson need to get a lot of throws. They could be offensive MVPs this year. Duvernay could have a big year as well if we can leverage his speed and get some throws to him.

Jerrod Heard is a player, especially if we can do something even remotely unpredictable with him.

Shane and Sam looked ok, not great. Rising and Thompson seem pretty solid for true frosh. I feel like we are still a bit in the QB wilderness, waiting for a true standout. Is it Groundhog Day?

I’m not sure Kyle Porter even likes football.

Young and Carter look good at RB, as expected. Senior walk-on Tim Yoder could come off the bench and get some play now and then? I’m rooting for him just because.

Our o-line might not be very good. :idk:

• Like Like x 3
  29. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Curious as to why Tom spots Sam 3 pts for a pregame drill that favors him, calls a timeout for him on the first td drive and calls for a 3 man rush(?) on his last drive. He was giving him a little extra work for game conditions? Sam is his man; but he needs to make him walk uphill and be more accountable.

Found it interesting that Mack said Shane’s passing accuracy reminded him of Colt. I have felt that way for some time. He is not as electric and physical as Sam, and Sam is Tom’s type of QB.
    Just hope he can settle down some before Sept....he is the starter. I will bet my best race horse on it.

I hope Shane is ok with it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

For me the spring game is a time to look for player separation. I wanted to see obvious growth at the QB position and simply didn’t. Both starters played fine, but there was no significant evolution from what I observed, even given the O-Line uncertainty last night.

Judging from what we saw, the running game certainly doesn’t look like a strength, and that’s disappointing. Maybe Ingram will help and I am really high on the graduate transfer from Cal if he chooses Texas. We’re going to need some help in that position.

I liked the athleticism of both Thomson and Rising. Just a guess that Thomson could be a game-changer, but both looked good to me.

To state the obvious, LJH is a beast, CJ a game-breaker, and Heard and Duvernay could have very good years.

On D, Hagar seems poised to have a dominant season. He’s filled out and he may be unstoppable. Roach was dominant, Foster is a head-hunter... Basically there is talent all over the field on that side of the ball. We should be very good, again.

But to me, the questions on offense remain...even though it was only a controlled glimpse of what we may see in the fall.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018