Spring Ball

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by easy, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Yep. Good assessment. Offense is better, but still way behind the “D”. Texas is going to have to run the ball better with their backs, not just Sam.

Looks like the two young quarterbacks have some promise. The CA kid has a good arm but the OK kid has the legs. Nice to have some backups.

2. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

My very unskilled eyes came away with exactly the same observation. For what that's worth, which is probably nuthin!
    For what seems like an eternity by now, we are still questioning QB play and o-line play.

3. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Interesting comment by Mack. Didn't Boo miss two wide open downfield throws?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I wish Shane could make defenses tremble like he did my daughter by just looking at her. "H

Wide open and I mean WIDE OPEN!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

If I remember correctly, the first overthrow was on the o-line because the pocket collapsed so fast. At least that’s what the commentators mentioned

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I remember that. I think he was knocked down. The throw was definitely hurried.

7. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

My favorite take away from spring game. Red Zone running by Lil Jordan! He looked good!

• Like Like x 2
  8. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Lot of talent in that kid!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

on the second throw, one commentator (maybe Rod Gilmore) wondered whether Burt was a 100%, so that may have affected the timing. Just reporting what I heard

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

You're only as good as the guy who touches the ball every snap. Trent Dilfer might have won a Super Bowl, but he did it with a 12-for-26 & 153 yards & 1 TD performance. We're still going to see a lot of stat lines like that, and it's why we're just going to have to rely on the D to bail us out of close games... hopefully a handful more than last season.

We're still stuck in the dark ages in QB development. Sure, the OL was suspect, but the reads just weren't there for about 80 percent of the scrimmage yesterday. Everything great that Collin Johnson, LJ Humphrey, and Heard did was basically as a result of poor throws/reads by the QBs. Of all the QBs, only Casey Thompson actually looked like someone who was recruited to play Division I college football.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I don't disagree with anything everyone else has stated, which all seem to be pretty obvious. Still too many ?? to think about competing for the B12 title. QB's looked decent, but neither has "it". Manny said after the game Shane probably missed the long passes because he's still recovering from surgery. I dunno if that's just and excuse but TH even said Burt was slower from being worn down. The freshmen QB's look like they could have "it". Especially Thomson if he can develop his passing skills because he can definitely tote the rock.

OL is still suspect and were at the beginning of the game before the lineup changed and before they got worn down. But even being average would be a big step up. We definitely have some talent on defense, but a lot of it is young.

I think we found our short yardage back to take Warren's place, but will TH use him when really needed or let Porter run into the back of the OT and fall down?

12. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

I’m afraid there’s a good chance another true freshman will start at qb at some point next season. NP, if it means we FINALLY get it right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

We're all rightfully concerned about our O-Line. Herbs Hands recently joined the staff and brought some hope for improvement but, after the Spring Game, it appears as though that may not come for another year or so.

Some have suggested using the aggys' old trick of putting a 12th man on line and yelling, "Hey, look over there!" to the refs. But that hasn't worked since Jerky Sherrill packed his slimy bags and left the cesspool.

I reached out to an ex-NSA op (I can't reveal his name, but it rhymes with Sledward Bowden) and he's willing to sell me a classified "stealth formula."

The video below shows how it would work.

All I need is 2.5 mil. Make your donation at.... httq://gofunkme.com/Texas-Woe-Linemen-Help

• Like Like x 2
  14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I'm going to wait for the Maryland game to assess the O-line.
    This wasn't a good format to really get a good idea.
    They were playing on both teams, hence very little rest.
    And injuries kept experience off the field.
    Our defense manhandled them just as they should have.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree with Moondog - nothing counts until the Maryland game. If the Ol still cannot block or the same defense that showed up for the 2017 game shows up again - Austin we have a problem.

16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I hope Maryland thinks we are bringing that defense again.
    It aint gonna happen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Enjoyed the spring game although I never watch those expecting a whole lot. It is still just a scrimmage. As has been stated previously, it certainly seemed like passing was the focus. I don't know what to expect this next year... I think we'll see improvement everywhere but I'm having a hard time gauging how much. I went back and skimmed the Longhorn 2010, 2011, and 2012 pre-season outlooks and it sure seems familiar : questions surrounding the O-Line, running game, and quarterbacks. :whiteflag:

• Like Like x 4
  18. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 1
  20. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Dion -- I could not figure out how to do it that way ... I need remedial social media class :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  21. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

22. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

This spring game felt like more of a practice than most I've seen, especially with the O-Line playing both ways. Usually they divide the squad into two distinct teams, which I like. It makes it more competitive I think.

I spent most of my time watching the qbs, like most people. Sam still puts too much air under his long balls and Shane holds the ball too long and is prone to getting sacked. Oh well, defense wins championships and they looked pretty damn good.

23. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

This is because Shane is running for his life every time he drops back!

I never thought I would see the day when all of UT's hopes and dreams are relying on a transfer offensive lineman from Rice. Not a personal attack on the young man, just cannot believe how far we have fallen. We need a savior.

24. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...s-orange-white-game-tom-herman-offensive-line

This is a post-Spring game article offering a little more -hopefully honest- insight on the game.
    I'll add that, at least in my estimation, there's been quite a bit of presumption and overreaction to the game.
    It seems clear that the game was more like a controlled practice than a true game... Even more so than normal.
    I did a little research on other Spring games.... You see a lot of the same stuff noted here. With some exceptions (notably A&M and tOSU) it is low scoring by offenses, a few turnovers, questions at QB, defensive lines dominating offensive lines, etc etc. Albeit with a little less fan freakout perhaps??
    Reasons to doubt QB and Oline situation... Sure. There's also good reason to believe things are looking up in those two key areas. I don't blame anyone, based on where we've been recently, for skepticism, cynicism, fatalism, or any other ism.
    But let's not read too much into this particular Spring game... Or any for that matter. If you want to...there are plenty of positives, also, but I don't recall too many posts here on those.
    And one more thing....I get the distinct impression that our fan base has become one of the more poopy poopers poopin on the program all the time. Maybe its time to support the team with a little more positivity.
    Tony Robbins and his big shiny teeth said so.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  25. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

26. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

You are a hard worker, Poms.

27. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Agreed, good post. After learning a bit more about what was going on with the lineup/depth chart (guys playing out of position, guys playing completely new sides/positions [which is still absurd to me, especially when trying to sell tix], etc.), I admit overreacted but that’s coming from a very low opinion. I mean when an oline looks like a swinging door on the opening possessions (when at the very least they’re fresh and I imagine consisting of regular contributors this year) it’s typically more than some lineup thing. It’s like Denzel Okafor acted as position coach this spring. The real hope I have is in adding Anderson and Hudson.

Edit: honest question. Have players made huge leaps from post-spring practice to fall in the past on any kinda consistent basis or is it rare? Not saying only recent Texas teams but more so if there’s enough time in summer and fall practice/training to make a noticeable difference at the collegiate level.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  28. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I thought McCullough looked superb. I remember at least 2 “sacks” but might’ve been 3. I really hope he gets a shot to play a lot this year. He reminds me a little of Aaron Harris. Just a football player, and ball hawk. I think Harris was called the human tackling machine so I’d take that

29. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

LHN feature on freshmen Anthony Cook and Caden Stearns

• Like Like x 1
  30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin