Spring Football

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Exactly what I thought when I read the quoted post. Hope the trend changes this Fall.

2. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Finding Points

Texas finished [the 2016 season] with zero defensive touchdowns and zero special teams touchdowns. The Longhorns never created those extra scores that can swing games. Considering they lost five games by one-score margins, a few non-offensive touchdowns could have gone a long way.

This was coach Tom Herman’s reaction upon hearing that stat after a practice last week: "Wow."

His Houston teams were among the nation’s best on that front. Todd Orlando's defenses scored seven touchdowns over the past two seasons. The Cougars' play on special teams produced six more. When it came to non-offensive touchdowns, Houston ranked No. 5 in FBS during the Herman era.

"When you’re out there thinking or tiptoeing or feeling around or evaluating, you’re going to be a step or two behind," Herman said.

There was plenty of that going on with Texas' defense last fall. Orlando noticed it frequently when he watched the tape: players getting fatigued, miscommunicating, getting lined up incorrectly and getting beat. Those errors are bound to happen when you put so many young players on the field. They’re guaranteed to happen when you change defensive play-callers after four games.

On special teams, Texas had just two punt returns of 20-plus yards and two kickoff returns of 30-plus yards. Safety Brandon Jones did block two punts (one was a safety, the other set up a field goal), but the Longhorns’ return game was a relative nonfactor.

Texas was one of six FBS teams to score zero non-offensive touchdowns last season. The other five: Arizona, East Carolina, Fresno State, Louisiana-Monroe and UMass. These six teams went a combined 18-54. None of them went bowling.

Texas might be close to turning the corner thanks to all the talent Strong stockpiled, but a dedication to detail can make a big difference. Herman’s success at Houston is a certainly proof of that.

The 13 non-offensive scores at Houston were also a product of confidence, no doubt, and that’s something the Longhorns lacked too often last season. They will have to start creating their own big breaks in 2017 if they intend to take a serious step forward. Just don’t call them lucky breaks.

"Those aren’t breaks," Herman said. "Those are earned and coached."
    [More @ E$PN]

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

that is amazing. i thought charlie did a good job with the defense when he took it over, but 0s on defense and special teams? that is NOT crunk.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sabre:

5. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I remember a Jimmy Johnson talking about the three phases of the game: Offense, defense and special teams. He said win any two of those and you win the game. He also said he made SURE his team won special teams. That leaves the opponent with the task of winning the other two to have a chance. It worked pretty well for JJ. One could argue that turnovers and penalties play a big part in that also. However look at where a lot of penalties and turnovers happen: Special teams.

• Like Like x 3
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Warren is too muscular, too heavy and he's strung too tight. In addition to weight loss, they might want to think about getting him into the swimming pool to increase flexibility. The guy is a monster, but a fragile monster.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

247 Spring Practice #6 Notes
    A portion of the practice was aired via Periscope.

-- An ankle injury suffered by Zach Shackelford in Saturday’s scrimmage and Brandon Hodges having to miss practice time to deal with academic issues has led to some shuffling along the offensive line. The first time the No. 1 offense took the field field it featured Jake McMillon sliding over to center with Elijah Rodriguez at right guard and Tristan Nickelson still at right tackle. The second time the first unit took the field it was a line featuring Rodriguez at center, McMillon at right guard and Denzel Okafor at right tackle.

-- The biggest change on defense came in the secondary where Brandon Jones ran out as the No. 1 boundary safety over John Bonney. DeShon Elliott was still the field safety. Jones had been working behind Elliott through the scrimmage on Saturday and this is the first time (to my knowledge) he’s gotten some work with the first unit.

-- Running back depth continues to be thin as Kirk Johnson and Tristian Houston could be seen during stretch standing with the injured players near the south goal post on the main practice field. Toneil Carter couldn’t be seen in any of the footage, but after Kyle Porter took the No. 1 reps the second unit was led by walk-on Trenton Hafley.

-- Andrew Beck worked in with the second offense. Tom Herman was hoping to have Beck back as early as today as he makes his way back from a foot injury, so this is a good sign. It looked like Garrett Gray was the first tight end on the field with the No. 1 offense.

-- One notable play by the No. 1 defense was Malik Jefferson pressuring Shane Buechele and coming away with what would’ve been a sack had the quarterback been live.

-- The most notable highlight came from Lil'Jordan Humphrey, who caught a quick hitch and made Eric Cuffee miss a tackle in space before ripping off a big gain.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rick mueller

What I meant to add to this and got distracted, is that last year's team didn't have a chance to win special teams because there was no emphasis on it all apparently. That left us having to win both offensive and defensive phases. The results are self evident.

• Like Like x 1
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

this is what i wanted to see most on D. Brandon showed he was an elite athlete on ST last year, had a nose for the ball carrier. he's a playmaker and i'd like to see the coaches coach up the playmakers so they can execute their defensive schemes.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The Toddnado on Longhorn Extra....

• Like Like x 4
  11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Even though these vidz are short, I love that we get a glimpse at the practices.

• Like Like x 2
  12. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

5 second mark..Center lifts ball off the turf.....Can't do that....Better fix that Herman !!!

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

14. rick mueller

First of all, every time I see/hear one of our coaches, something comes through loud and clear. These guys are INTENSE! I would throw myself on a bed of hot beds coals rather tick Orlando off.
    Second, if we can't find a running back who can gain yards behind the left side of our o-line, I just don't know what to say.

• Like Like x 3
  15. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

and it starts

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Ball game

• Like Like x 4
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Another Hager in the middle. I'm excited to see him there! Hell, he's as mean as daddy was so this will fun watchin'.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

lol. Take it easy on Texas Taps.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Definitely hits harder than Sammy. But maybe Breckyn can't sing.

20. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Bet he can't drive 55 either.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The Beck Man on Longhorn Extra

22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Team Notes:

OL Shuffling: Zach Shackelford...suffered an ankle injury on Saturday and had to leave the scrimmage. It sounds like his spring is over...

OT Brandon Hodges had been working with the 1s along with Tristan Nickelson at RT, but Texas released a statement that he’s out indefinitely as he has some academic things to take care of.

Starting LG Jake McMillon has moved to the starting center spot, with Elijah Rodriguez and Patrick Hudson going after the LG spot. With Hodges out that has given Denzel Okafor a chance to rotate in with the 1s some at RT. The fact that Tristan Nickelson didn’t have a great scrimmage on Saturday has given Okafor some additional reps.

It still looks like 4 spots on the OL are basically locked down by Williams-McMillon-Shackelford-Vahe, but Shack’s injury history would be a small cause for concern in my mind. Getting Rodriguez and Hudson some extra reps can’t hurt.

Secondary: Things have seemed to settle down at CB with Holton Hill and Davante Davis taking most of the reps at CB with the 1s. But it looks like Sophomore Brandon Jones is starting to rotate in with John Bonney some with the 1s at safety opposite DeShon Elliott.

Jones issue, per our sources, has simply been understanding the defense. He certainly does not lack athleticism.
    [More @ TFB]

-------

It's odd/sad/disappointing that we hear little to nothing about JP Urquidez or Buck Wang.

23. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

A concern since the past 3 seasons were full of this disease.

25. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

Jones has only been here one year. And you know he didnt learn jack s--- last year.

This is so early in on this deal. All is well.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Rumor is that DL Marcel Southall has contracted Hodges disease. He's exhibiting signs of insufficient academic output.

Edit: Rumor confirmed by Doctor Tom below.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  27. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

The Hermanator after Spring Practice #7

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  28. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

E$PN's Big 12 roundtable: Judging the defenses

Which Big 12 defense is set for a jump in 2017?

Max Olson: I’ll say Texas simply because the Longhorns bring back 17 defenders who earned starts last season. You don’t see that too often. That group came nowhere close to playing up to its potential in 2016 and finished No. 8 in the Big 12 in scoring defense. New defensive coordinator Todd Orlando did an unbelievable job at Houston, and it’s hard to see him failing with all that talent at his disposal.

29. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I certainly more optimistic than anything we've had since before Manny iaz, but it has to be proven on the field. There's only one way to go, but that can be said about special teams also. It simply makes me puke to think about the talent we have and knowing our special teams were right there in the bottom 5 in the country with teams that are ecstatic to get 3-4 3* recruits.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

The problem with "all that talent" is that it's got some huge gaps in it. If you've got a great back seven and a mediocre (at best) defensive line, you're going to be a bad defense. And add to that, if your talented back seven doesn't know where to line up half the time, it only gets worse. That's where we found ourselves last year, and I'm hoping it's at least somewhat improved this year. But some of those young guys really need to step up.

• Like Like x 1