Spring Game Starting Roster

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by JohnnyBravo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Was there a starting roster for the spring game.. 1st/2nd teams offense/defense?

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

1st team offense:

WR M Johnson
    WR Shipley
    WR Sanders
    LT Harrison
    LG Flowers
    C Espinosa
    RG Doyle
    RT Estelle
    RB Brown
    RB Overstreet
    QB Swoopes

When they played a TE, it seemed like Swaim was the go-to guy. I believe that Darius James will have the RG spot locked down come fall practice... I think Doyle was mostly a fill-in. I'd also like to believe that we'll see sets with both Malcolm Brown and Johnathan Gray out there, assuming Gray can rehab quickly enough to get on the field.

I think we'll get a lot more of the young OL guys going in a rotation in the fall. I'd love to see more Rami Hammad and the aforementioned injured James. Meander looked a lot bigger than I thought he was as a backup WR. QB is obviously the biggest concern, as it should have been last year. I just don't see Swoopes stepping into the starting role any time soon. Heard will be the answer if Ash continues to be too gimpy to play and if Wittek chooses somewhere else. I think Wittek signs if the coaches can convince him that Ash is through.

1st team defense:
    DE Reed
    DT Brown
    DT Jackson
    DE Davis
    OLB Jinkens
    MLB Edmond
    OLB Cole
    CB Thomas
    S Thompson
    S Turner
    CB Diggs

I'm kind of left wondering if we're going to do a lot of base nickel this year, because there wasn't a 5th DB that seemed impressive. Echols had a ton of brain farts last year, but then again, so did the starters, so that's not saying much. Colbert looked lost on the Shipley and Daje TDs on Saturday.

As for LB, Santos looked OK but if Edmond is the starter, I don't see anyone moving over to OLB because of speed. I think Naashon Hughes and Deoundrei Davis were running around a lot. Demarco Cobbs (speak of the devil!) was also in a lot of plays. For a kid who got so much playing time as a freshman, Kendall Thompson might as well be done.

Not sure about the two-deep at DL. Bluiett was all over the backfield, but I wouldn't have penciled him in ahead of Cottrell before the Spring Game. Boyette and Norman played a lot on Saturday.

3. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo 250+ Posts

Thanks Horns11!

Should be interesting with MLB spot. Edmond has never impressed me. Hopefully that says he is now getting the coaching he needs to live up to his 'seemingly' impressive athletic ability.