Spring game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Pomspoms, Apr 24, 2021.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Glad to hear it, and good enough for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Was out of town this weekend and will watch a recording later this evening.

Was pleased to learn the Horns won the spring game!

:coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

After rewatching game:
    Watson looked good at RB.
    Cook looks good at rushing the QB. Athletic
    Dorbah looked good
    There were 3 drops due to receiver's hands not being in the right place at the time of the pass. When your positioned just 5 yards past the line of scrimmage you have to have your hands up high as opposed to having hands down by hips because more times than not the ball gets there quickly at helmet level or a little higher. Drops by Young, Epps and Watson.
    Lot of good throws by the QBS, especially Cards pass to Washington for a TD. Moore missed a nice TD pass from Thompson. He initially caught in the air but couldn't hold it when he hit the ground. And later Thompson made a nice throw on a dead run to a running Whittington.
    I do think Card won this QB battle but Thompson had plenty of good moments.
    I noticed that Thompson threw the hail mary 5 yards short of the end zone. I hope that was intentional cause it was only a 50 yard pass. Heck, I'm 60 and think i could throw it 40 yards
    Overall i liked both there performances

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

For me, at least, the QB situation was settled once and for all on Saturday.

Both guys had a lot of really good moments with some "needs-some-work" times mixed in. Just what you would expect from a Spring Game looking for a new starter.

And I was right about who should be The Guy from the beginning of spring training. Hudson Thompson clearly won the battle. :hookem:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Nope. Casey Card was better. Are you blind or something?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Card's TD pass may end up being the tiebreaker.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

But Moore dropped a beauty from CT

Edit: perhaps it wasn't a "beauty " but I was referencing the drop as the dialogue was in regards to TD passes I believe

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Moore had separated from the defenders and had to slow down a bit.

Washington was blanketed by the DB which required Card to basically throw through the DB.

All I am saying is when players are "tied" coaches look at who made the most difficult throw, block, tackle to break the tie.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I felt conflicted and uneasy when we scored on ourselves

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

What I saw:

The interception was bad decision-making by Thompson. They were at the 20, only 2nd down with 22 sec left in the half. That was at least a 10 pt swing and maybe 14 pt swing with at least one down to go for a TD if he decided to throw it away.

The hook pass was also bad. Looked like he saw the edge rush but he should’ve broke towards the far sideline with his legs instead of a jump ball.

Offensive pass protection was fairly poor most of the day. They were always pressured.

Tight whistles really negated any of Casey’s elusiveness or Card’s quick runs up the middle. I think Casey’s elusiveness and legs give more dimension to the O. Card reminded me of SMU QBs.

I didn’t notice anything from Roschon. He should be a potent player.

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

I haven't read thru all the posts on this thread, but has anyone mentioned Watson's running? I was most impressed. Could be a goal line/short yardage guy, maybe along side Roschon creating an "Uh-oh, who do we key on?" situation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

Pomspoms did just above your last post.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Now we have a more realistic view of the play of Thompson. Thompson had a near perfect passing performance in the Alamo bowl and that can't be taken away from him. But the spring game showed that he is mortal.
    In my book Thompson threw two bonified interceptions. One that was caught by Jamison and one dropped by Jamison. The hook pass was playground football and the hail mary pass was anyone's ball, therefore, they don't count except for official stats. Thats my take on that.
    Another take is i am suspicious of his arm strength as I mentioned in an above post.
    However I think if he learns from his mistakes and develops better timing with his receivers he could still be a high quality QB.
    Right at this moment Card's future looks to be shining bright. If he attains McCoy's confidence level to go with speedy receivers we may be looking at an eventual heisman winner. Just sayin

• Like Like x 1
  16. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

M
    Maybe, but he needs the following:
    1) He will have to use some legs as a threat
    2) He needs to embody Colt’s chain driven decision-making.
    3) He will have to recognize high risk in the college game with coverages and DB speed and avoid that risk.
    4) I say start Casey but use Hudson liberally if we get 2 TDs ahead. Casey needs some incentive to focus on making good decisions.
    5) We need Oline improvement or ain’t nobody winning any Heisman.

17. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I agree I should have mentioned better o-line play. Failed to remember that. And I also want to see both QBS playing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I think Hudson won the scrimmage, fwiw.

With that said, I feel pretty darned comfortable cheering for whichever one of them trots out on the field at QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Either one should be able to beat ULaLA. Arkansas will be the final test as Texas needs the next 3 (Rice, Tceh, and the cockroaches) to have everything nailed down and ready for the fight on 02 October in the Cotton Bowl.

20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Ima goin' out on the giddy-limb here and predicting we go 11-1 on the schedule. As of right now, I'm serious. Obviously, things can change between now and season's start with the portal and fall camp.

21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Yeah

Let's not have a Major v Simms again. I can still trigger my best friend by talking about how Simms had the better arm than Major... HE COULDN'T LEAD THE TEAM!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Either one should. Just like Shane & Sam against Maryland both years. Anyone thinking this is your dad's LA is in for a big surprise. We should and probably will win.

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I predicted the same record as you.

So I better make a different prediction.

25. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Texas post-spring depth chart

Notable notations here include the, surprisingly absent from our discourse, highlighting of Ojomo over Collins.
    Might better find a way to get both of those guys in the line at the same time if that is the case and it is plausible

26. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Not with Coburn out there. Right now the D-line is stacked. If Ojomo is displacing Collins, the line will be ridiculous next year. Three guys who could start at Alabama. No drop off in production when one of them needs a rest. I like ...

• Winner Winner x 1
  27. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Seems to me, whenever the D gets up to speed, Texas is the best in the Big 12. Question is, how long does that take?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Our interior DTs are stacked. At DE, Jacoby Jones has kicked it into a higher gear, and our LSU transfer + Dorbah, and others make it look like we'll have a pretty good (or better) edge rush--something we've been lacking for a while, aside from Ossai. The DBs are solid. I think our D will be as good as our LB corps lets it be. There's pretty good depth at most positions. With a good strategist and tactician (Coach K) leading the way, as the season unfolds I'm looking forward to seeing what could be our best D in years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I hope this talent explains why neither qb had much time to throw in the Spring game.

30. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I once heard Troy Aikman say that in the NFL they measure a QB by his ability to throw the 20-yard out route. By that standard, Card is the QB we want. Card has a gun for an arm. Thompson tends to float his passes, which makes them easier to catch and to intercept. Card threw a couple of outs that were more impressive than his only TD pass.

• Agree Agree x 1