Spring Practice 2016

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 1
  2. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Why have we not heard about any RBs other than Warren and Foreman ? Are they doing the same thing they do with the QB position...No reps for anyone but their top two ? The Houston kid was supposed to be a good one. Did he not pan out either ?

3. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think Kirk Johnson has been hurt and not ready to play this spring, but the staff sees him as an A+ receiving threat out of the backfield. I have heard that speedy wideout Roderick Bernard has been getting some snaps as running back and has opened some eyes to his potential in a Daje Johnson sort of role.
    I have not read everything, but I haven't seen much about Houston. Maybe we'll get to see him Saturday.

Running back, like DT and WR, is a position where true freshman can excel. If he's exceptionally talented and learns to perform well in limited roles, Kyle Porter could be a change of pace guy sometime this fall.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

^^^
    You seriously need a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"
    I know you need desperately to believe that Strong is mismanaging talent. But apparently even Roderick Bernand is getting reps at RB, So yes, I am sure everyone is getting their fair share.
    Also practices are closed, man. Any reports you are getting are 3rd hand. Remember that post you made a while back about how fans should "take it with a grain of salt".
    We're all waiting for you to start doing that.

Seriously, RB of all the positions to worry about, why worry about RB?

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 1
  6. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Per TFB:

– Looks like Breckyn Hager has officially moved to FOX end as he was running with the 2s behind Naashon Hughes. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Hager seriously push Hughes for playing time. Remember, Hager played FOX in HS and Vance Bedford did call Hager the best blitzer on the team earlier this Spring.

DeShon Elliott had a nice day as he took more reps with the 1’s as Jason Hall is banged up. Had a pair on INT’s…

– RB Roderick Bernard left the scrimmage early on Saturday with an injury but he was back at practice on Tuesday. Either Bernard or Kirk Johnson who is recovering from a knee injury will be the change of pace RB for Texas this year. Though both have had problems of staying healthy at Texas.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

------------

Go, Finnessin'! Can't wait to see ya on the field!

8. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

TFB's Andrew King in today's discussion....

Concerning the QBs: The bottom line is if Buechele wasn't a true freshman who needs some physical development, he'd 100% be the starter. At least in my mind. They'll play the guy that gives them the best chance to win. Both guys need to have big summers to get an edge.

Concerning DB Kris Boyd: Still behind Holton Hill and Davante Davis but looks like he could be the 1st CB off the bench. Starting to get it technique wise, since he came in as just a pure athlete.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Is Connor Williams now letting Vahe do his hair?

Asking for a friend.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

WRs Coach Williams - All-Access

Me likey his style.

12. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Inside Notes from Tuesday's Closed Practice

- It was the 13th practice of the spring; it was full pads and likely the last full-pads practice before the Orange-White game. The team could go shorts, shoulder pads and helmets for a lighter, more walk-through-ish 14th practice before the spring game.

- However, it's hard to picture the new offense taking a "walkthrough" as much as it would seem like a "sprint-through". Everything we've heard says that it moves super-fast. New OC Sterlin Gilbert's offense was only getting installed in the practices open to the media (No. 1 and No. 3) and it was already clear even then. Texas fans have wanted a new spread offense for what feels like ages and they're about to see one, if nothing else. Anyway ...

- Safeties Jason Hall and Dylan Haines are still limited, and at this time, we'll likely just have to wait for word from the school as to their availability for the scrimmage. Fans will surely get to see a large dose of sophomore Deshon Elliott with the first-team any way you slice it. He had a big day on Tuesday. Elliott's going to be tough for Haines and/or Hall to hold off much longer.

- Multiple people have said backup OG Alex Anderson won't play in the spring game. He's been in the pit for "the last week or two" per one source. Anderson is not a player who factors in to spring OL depth until at least three starters are injured anyway.

- RBs Roderick Bernard and Tristian Houston both returned to practice Tuesday and both "are fine."

- LB Anthony Wheeler had a big TFL on a play where he apparently blew by a walk-on offensive lineman (likely Alex Anderson's LG replacement with the two's). The source said Wheeler and Malik Jefferson rotate in together as a pair with the first group, with the other group being Tim Cole and Edwin Freeman.

- Yet another source made mention of QB Shane Buechele's ability to run the football. I've always thought he's a little too small to subject himself to a bunch of hits at this time, but for what it's worth, people in attendance at practice pretty consistently say that he looks good as a runner. It's my guess that fans will likely see at least a flash of this in the spring game with all the mention of it lately.

- One person said the distribution of reps are "the same" between QBs Tyrone Swoopes and Shane Buechele which surely means it remains a near-even-split in first-team work with the edge in number of snaps still going to Swoopes.

- WR Deandre McNeal got banged up at the end of the day (after another reportedly nice practice where he caught a TD) on a contested ball with nickel CB P.J. Locke. I'd be surprised if John Bonney has taken a snap at first-team nickel all spring. With all the substituting and messing around with personnel and injuries (on both sides of the football), Locke has been a staple in the defensive backfield along with CBs Holton Hill and Davante Davis this spring. He's turning into a very nice player for Texas by all accounts. It doesn't sound like anything major for McNeal injury-wise, but we'll keep our ears open.

[Per a poster on another site]

• Like Like x 1
  13. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Because you only listen for things that you can complain about, and so completely ignored talk about other RBs?

BTW, since when is it the coaching staff's job to make sure you "hear about" other players?

• Like Like x 5
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"Deshon Elliott with the first-team any way you slice it. He had a big day on Tuesday. Elliott's going to be tough for Haines and/or Hall to hold off much longer."

Yay

• Like Like x 4
  15. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Because R comes after Q and Car has complained alphabetically starting with the C position and is methodically working his way to the WR. I'm telling you this cat is an Aggie or Sooner. The grammar is the Achilles heel for them all and the smoking gun.

• Like Like x 5
  16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe last year it was good on good also. That was the first clue that the 2015 defense would be horrible - and it was.

18. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Or! that the offense was going to be awesome -- wait, never mind not sure where I was going that thought...

19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

It's over. Yeah, today's game is officially the 15th practice allowed by NCAA rules.

Thanks to all who participated and helped with this thread.

For more, see today's Spring Game thread.

• Like Like x 3
  21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Great job, GFA!

22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Stone cold.

27. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

JJ Watt starter kit???

28. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Rumblings of 4-6 transfers comings between now and summer and a few incoming guys who may not qualify

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. StructureDude

StructureDude 100+ Posts

When kids transfer, when do those scholarships open up? (assuming it's a scholarship player) If a kid doesn't have what it takes to get on the field at UT, I guess I don't blame them for transferring to a small program so they can play a couple of years instead of just practice and wait for an injury. It's not exactly a lifetime sport :/