Spring practice halted

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Just on the news. Due to COVID protocol. That was all that was said.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

Worst news possible

3. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Apparently UT players spring breaking it in Miami... well it is COVID, but I’ve contracted worse during a spring break trip.

• Funny Funny x 8
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Rumor is that state of Texas will open vaccinations to everyone or to every essential employee in 1-2 weeks (folks who cannot work remotely or 6 ft away from others). The football team should be vaccinated en mass and put this **** behind them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I heard opening to ALL adults.
    I assume that means anyone over 18.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

FYI. There are plenty of appointments for vaccine at the CVS website. First available at least in my neck of Houston (Woodlands-Spring-Tomball) is Monday. Here is the rub: the sites that pop up after entering your zip code is randomly generated. Thus, search 3 times to see all the possible locations near you. Only have to do a 30 second questionnaire before each search. Finally, do your searches between 7-9 am each morning. The spots fill up quick after that.

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If I decide to get vaccinated I want the Johnson and Jihnson one
    So it may be awhile since it isn't as widely available

Is it true some of the players were in Miami?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Had the first round vacs a couple of weeks ago. Get the second next week.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Curious to know your thoughts on J&J vs the others

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

It's a 1-shotter and he's a wus. [I kid, I kid!]

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Godz
    You kid but that is one of the reasons
    From what I have read about it it just seems to have fewer side effects. Doesn't need freezing storage temps.
    I will trade a few % points in efficacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Totally understand. The wifey and I got the Pfizer last month. She didn't like growing a 3rd thumb, but I've found it very useful in certain situations.

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

If it would have a side effect of a third tit on women, I'd cease all objections.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Monday will make 4 weeks since I got my second Pfizer dose. Hope all the football players can get their doses soon.

16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I really don’t believe that the side effects differ much between manufacturers. I got both Modernas in February and after a fierce battle, my better half acquiesced and got J&J March 13th. (I wasn’t going to go through that twice!) I had minor issues. She had none, but that’s simply anecdotal.

Here in CA it was very easy but then again, we’re over 65. My dentist offered it to me...if you can believe that. He had 10 extra doses...as he had sought and received authorization to vaccinate other dentists. For
    my wife we went to Anaheim Convention Center. There must’ve been at least 100 people assisting in the process. It was impressive.

Here’s another vaccine site: Find COVID-19 vaccine locations near you

On the topic, I would think/hope that the entire spring camp can be completed, even if it has to be moved. I’m not sure that I see an issue with that.

17. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Do they, or have they said, have to halt for 7, 10, or 14 days? Guess I’ll cancel my hotel.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The only real problem in Dallas County has been the County Judge who initially tried to limit the initial shots to certain zip codes. Abbot and the Federal Government told him at least twice to stop interfering. He didn't so the state took over the allocations and the Feds set-up their own system. Everything smoothed out after that. We received both at Parkland and our daughter received hers at UT-Southwestern.

The only difference in the shots is the Moderna and Pfizer do not contain a live virus as the J&J does. Just different ways of attacking the problem. It will be interesting to see how the annual boosters will be handled.

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I never felt either shot. No swelling on the arm. As I've said, I chose Pfizer because they have the deepest pockets, regardless of what the feds say about liability.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, but they also have the best lawyers. :fire: All the way through the development and testing Pfizer just seemed to have a better handle on everything. Two or three weeks ago they came out and said the super-cold temps were necessary so they are obviously continuing to work on the applications.

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Get my second Moderna shot Saturday.
    My arm was pretty sore the day after.
    But that was it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You know that I'm going to conflict out their two largest law firms.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

J&J has a cold virus that makes the spike protein. It’s not a live coronavirus.

24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Nor a live virus of any type.

25. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Almost a month past my secont pfizer shot. No side effects other than a sore arm. I have relatives that got pretty sick on the day after the shot. At my age it sure has made a difference in my fear of getting exposed. I had a close call and the friend and his wife were in the hospital for three weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I have a friend whos brother is on a ventilator right now.

27. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

I’m in SA and just signed up this morning via CVS for first Pfizer shot in Seguin this coming Tuesday. Per the website there were no appointments available here within San Antonio. Smaller communities seem to have more accessible availability.

• Like Like x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think that is on purpose. There is only one CVS in the Conroe-The Woodlands area offering shots. The reason? The 4 major hospitals located within a 5 mile zone on I-45 between Conroe and The Woodlands offer shots (Conroe, Memorial Herman, St Luke’s, and Methodist). So, they are using CVS in areas outside this zone like Willis, Spring, and Tomball.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Texas Longhorns football and Miami have a bad history...

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

My all time least favorite game.

• Agree Agree x 3