Spurs VS Hornets thoughts

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Booyakasha!, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

I wanna know what you guys think about this upcoming series.

The Hornets are a great YOUNG team. They just beat a crumbling Mavericks franchise. They were great during the reg season. They handled the spurs (as did the suns) - but can they really beat SA in the playoffs? I dont see it.

What I do like about them is their coaching staff, namely Byron Scott and Mario Elie. BUT, the Playoff proven SPURS? C'mon.

2. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes and yes.

Even year. Spurs lose to the Hornets 4-2.

3. MeaHorn

MeaHorn 500+ Posts

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Who is going to guard Manu? Hornets don't have Raja Bell.

5. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

I think it will be interesting to see what happens if/when NO is thrown some adversity. That's usually when young teams fall apart, especially at playoff time.

If the Spurs come out, cough up a hairball, and allow the Hornets to gain confidence early, it could be trouble.

If the Spurs can keep the pressure on, maybe win one of the first two in NO, I'll be interested to see how the Hornets respond.

The Hornets have talent, for sure. But they remind me a little bit of last year's Utah ... something tells me they're not quite ready to hang with the big boys. We'll see, I guess.

6. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

My fault, I stand corrected on Elie.

7. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

I think the Hornets will have trouble with Duncan. The key for them is Chandler staying out of foul trouble. They don't have much depth in the frontcourt behind him. Duncan in the post against Melviny Ely or HIlton Armstrong will be very ugly for New Orleans.

You know that Paul is going to play well and David West is going to get his, but the Spurs defense will have to figure out how to slow them down. I wouldn't be surprised if they employed the same strategy that they did on Nash -- try to make Paul a scorer and hope that Bowen can get into him a little. Based on the last game between the two teams, things are going to get very testy between Bruce Bowen and Chris Paul. Should be a great series.

If playoff experience counts for anything, and history tells us that it does, I think the Spurs take them. Probably in 6 games.

8. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

9. EllCee

EllCee 100+ Posts

Spurs are going to kick the **** out of them.

10. Horn9497

Horn9497 100+ Posts

IF it goes 6 games I'll be shocked. Spurs frustrate the Hornets and I think win it in 5. ESPN won't even have enough time to do all the "Hornets are helping rebuild NO" crap stories that they want to do before it is over.

11. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

12. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

13. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

Spurs have another huge advantage between the ears in this series. Throw out the regular season results. If the Spurs can make Steve Nash disappear, then they can give Chris Paul trouble as well. Nobody in the NBA plays better team defense, and while I commend the Hornets on beating the Mavs, they are entering a whole new ballgame now IMO.

14. treball

treball 100+ Posts

Spurs in 4

15. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

16. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I think if it comes to a game 6 to close out the series at home, the Spurs find a way to win it like they did in game 5 against Phoenix. The only likely way it gets to game 7, IMO, is if the Spurs start off down 3-2.

18. YChang

YChang 500+ Posts

Spurs in 2. They're just that good.

19. BigDLonghorn22

BigDLonghorn22 25+ Posts

The Hornet's lack of playoff experience is going to get them in this series. It is easy to go against the Mavs who are now known as chokers and soft. However, it is a completely different story going against the Spurs who are champions and one of the greatest dynasties of all time. The Hornets aren't going to be as confident and it is going to show in the clutch.

I still think because of their talent, youth, quickness and with home court advantage they are going to be able to win at least 2. I say Spurs in 6.

20. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

I think Spurs in 6 also. If Spurs can steal one of the 1st 2 games in NO, it will be hard for a young team to overcome.

21. SubliminalHorn

22. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

the Spurs always find a way to win in the playoffs. Between Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, NO would have to hope and pray all 3 have bad nights for them to beat the Spurs in a 7 game series. Spurs are too good fundamentally and defensively, especially in the playoffs. They like to cruise during the regular season and then turn it up a few notches in the playoffs

23. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

Hornets in 5.

Seriously? Hornets in 6

24. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

NO is young and athletic and that type of team gives the Spurs fits. And Melvin Ely can play Duncan as well as anybody - after all he played against him in practice for an entire year. All that said, Spurs in 6.

25. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

26. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

Man, you should write a blog or work for a paper. A franchise with 4 titles and an established dynasty is experienced and possesses intangibles, chiefly mental toughness/resiliency. Wow. That is revolutionary thought.

Seriously, the Spurs are obviously as professional as professional gets. The regular season series was 2-2 with two Hornets routs. You can throw that out. The Hornets are young but extremely talents, most of all at the point. Do I honestly think the Hornets can win? No. But it will be fun to watch. Some of y'all need to find something else to do than spend all your free time on your knees, felating the Spurs. We know they're good. Anyone with any sense favors them. But I remember watching the a young and talented Bulls embarrass an aging Lakers dynasty with all the experience and whatnot. I also remember a salty Pistons team whupping up and being whupped up on by the Bulls. I remember a badass Magic team get killed by Houston. It goes both ways. It'll be fun series to watch, no matter the winner.

27. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Raja Bell looks like he has a good grasp of the game.

28. SubliminalHorn

29. AstroVol

AstroVol 500+ Posts

Spurs in 3. That's right, I said it.

The first 3 games will be so humiliating for CP3 & NO, they don't even take the court for game 4.

30. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

I don't see why the Spurs can't just win it all after one game. If they're such a great dynasty you'd think they wouldn't need four to finish a team off.