Spurs VS Hornets thoughts

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Booyakasha!, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

I called the last series in 5 (although I really didn't even believe myself) and I'm going to call this one in 5. Chris Paul will do a better job on Parker, but they won't have an answer for Manu. He'll be the big dog this round.

2. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

It's either Spurs in 6 or Hornets in 7. In either case, the winner is going to be beat to hell going into their series with the Lakers.

3. Pitter09

Pitter09 250+ Posts

4. RO'Nealicus

RO'Nealicus 100+ Posts

I can't particularly point out what is different between the Spurs that were routed by the NO 2x during the regular season and the now 4 to 1 victors in the 1st round. Something tells me that the games will be tight. I'm hoping for a sweep by the Spurs but realistically think it'll be Spurs in seven games.

CP3 will just be slightly better than Parker but expect Manu and the likes of Barry and Horry to be big.

5. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun 100+ Posts

Nolans in 7

6. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

"Who is going to guard Manu?"

Seriously? Janero Pargo is an amazing defender...Duncan and Parker are much bigger threats.

7. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Pargo will probably be guarding Parker.

8. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

dont forget get about paycheck stoiackavic. you know he only shows up in the playoffs for the salary.

9. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

My game 1 thought:
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Seriously, all we did was defend home court in game one, but I think a message that this will be a real series has been sent.

10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Spurs better figure out who is going to cover West. He's too quick for Thomas/Horry.

11. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

wadster, I agree that something must be done with West. Duncan must be better than 1 of 9 with 5 points.

12. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Well Duncan will score more in the series but Bowen won't. Parker played well as did Manu but neither played great. Duncan and at least one of Parker/Manu has to play very good or great any time for the Spurs to be really effective.....that usually happens but didn't last night.

Hornets beat the Spurs in ever phase....FG%, FT%, Rebounds, Assists, less TO's, Steals, Blocks. Duncan is going to have to more work on the defensive end in this series....especially more than he had to in the Phoenix series.

Spurs are going to have to play their best ball to get thru this series.

13. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

agreed. As much as i'm starting to dislike CP3 and David West, that is a very talented and young tandem that is getting the job done in the playoffs. The spurs are obviously need more out of Duncan and wont be able to count on Bowen to hit 5 3's, but i like what Ginobili, Parker, and Finley are doing.

14. Ranxerox

Ranxerox 25+ Posts

Duncan will come around. The Spurs O might have markedly better scoring as a result, but maybe not. The key is will their D step up? Can they match up more effectively. If not the series will not go 6. I mean, TDunc had no fouls. What exactly was he doing last night on either end of the court.

As I suspected, a PG that can penetrate and finish reconfigures the effectiveness of the Spurs' primary defensive sets. They are going to have to get physical to win because they don't really have the athletes or the legs to keep Paul and West in check.

Series still in the balance, though if the Spurs adjust and the Hornets respond successfully I think its the curtain on the Spurs' non-successive 'dynasty.'

15. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't understand why Duncan didn't start guarding West once Thomas got in foul trouble in the 2nd half. He wasn't doing anything useful on offense and wasn't in any foul trouble, and Oberto wasn't getting the job done.

Speaking of Oberto - he cannot buy a fair call to save his life. The difference in officiating between the stars and the others in game 1 was pretty obvious both sides. Duncan steamrolling Chandler on a fastbreak and Tyson getting the block. Chris Paul stumbling and taking 4 or 5 steps in the lane. If Chandler does that to Tim it's a charge, and if Jacque Vaughn takes those steps it's travelling.

17. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

This thread cracks me up. Just read page 2 by itself and then page 3. Spurs can't be beat before game 1, are in big trouble after game 1. Nothing has really changed. NO did what it did all year at home. As a fan though, you gotta love watching CP3. Guy is just fun to watch. He is so strong for his size. NO has a very nice team because they have a great point guard, nice post player in West, and then if you collapse the D for those 2, Peja will kill you.

Spurs face a tough decision. Do you put Duncan on West and hope he can stay out of foul trouble? Also West can bring Tim out and leave the middle exposed for CP3. Thomas/Horry on West is a disaster waiting to happen. Balls in Pop's court now. It's always on the loser to adjust. Should be a good game 2.

18. PhantomHorn

PhantomHorn 1,000+ Posts

Just give it up. The Spurs don't win titles in even years.

19. BDog

BDog 250+ Posts

Hornets fans are really good at booing.

20. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

I was saying 'Woooooooooooooooo'

21. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

The Hornets are good, but not this good. Hopefully Spurs can regroup at home.

22. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

Spurs are not attacking and settling for 3's and long jumpers. Part of that has to do with Hornets D, but not all of it.

Udoka can't make ****, f**k him

If Bowen is taking that many 3's and 2-pt jumpers the Spurs are in trouble.

Manu is off, Tony is getting buttraped by Paul

I have hope that the Spurs can pull it together and play better at home. Check that, they must play significantly better to win.

23. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Both games the Spurs have played very tight in 1st half or led. They just can't hang for 3 or 4 QTR's. Once again NO's beats them in just about every category: FG%, 3PT% (59% to 30%), FT%, Rebounds, Steals, TO's. Spurs did better at moving the balll but just didn't knock down enough shots. Way too many 3's....30% isn't horrible but you can't take 27 three's just about ever and expect to win. Especially against a team that can run. Duncan, Parker, Manu combine for 42 points. Again two of those 3 guys have to go for about 30 each in just about every game for them to be a successful team. Barry stepped in and filled in for the expected missing points from Bowen and same result. Next game if nobody steps up for those points and big 3 still don't improve drastically then same result. Duncan only taking 11 shots just doesn't make sense to me.

24. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

NO is quicker team. One could say this is the passing of the torch.

[​IMG]

25. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

Somebody needs to step up and guard CP3 (seems pretty impossible at this point). Spurs Big 3 will need to at least match the Hornets Big 3. Also, the NO bench is bringing a lot more energy than the spurs bench. I think Udoka has played okay and could be very important in these next two games. The spurs need his physical play. FIN must catch fire as well.

26. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

Two things stand out to me:

1. The Hornets are just backing off and letting the Spurs shoot open jumpshots. They are sliding under every pick and daring the Spurs to beat them from the outside. Those looks aren't even being contested. They must have missed 10-12 wide open shots in the first half last night. Parker's jumper has always been inconsistent, but he was really awful last night. He's got to make them pay. Ginobili looks horribly out of synch. Bowen usually hits at a high rate from the corner and he was missing. Finley is on a cold streak right now. They didn't bring in Barry until it was too late. He's got to see more minutes to spread the floor. Otherwise, they are going to continue to pack it in on Duncan and clog all the driving lanes for Parker and Ginobili. It's one thing to settle for jumpers, but it's another to have wide open looks and continue to miss them. It also ignites the Hornets fast break. If they don't start making their easy shots, this series is over.

2. The Spurs look burned out to me. Where is the energy and effort? They've had their spells of this all season, but it's not December any more.

One other note: Last night, Tim Duncan's +/- was -32. Unbelievable.

27. Aces_Full

Aces_Full 500+ Posts

Told you Hakeem was better than Duncan. [​IMG]

28. TxArch

TxArch 250+ Posts

29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I don't blame them for not bringing Barry in - if he doesn't quickly get some open shots he becomes a liability b/c he can't guard anyone and he's not a threat to score unless someone drives and dishes.

30. Montag

Montag 250+ Posts